how fast with 7.5 rearend - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Drag Racing

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

how fast with 7.5 rearend

like it says whats the fastest anyone's run with the 7.5. i have one thats a posi so i thought i might try it for a while. does it save any horsepower compared to the 8.8?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (4)

Garage
Don't know for sure, I've heard of guys running bottom 11s on them, most likely with Autos. My cousin is installing some GT40 Y heads, exhaust, E303, weiand intake, 650 holley, and tuning. We're going to see how far we can push his 85GT with the stock 7.5 rear and stock gears with a stock T-5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by White90GT
Don't know for sure, I've heard of guys running bottom 11s on them, most likely with Autos. My cousin is installing some GT40 Y heads, exhaust, E303, weiand intake, 650 holley, and tuning. We're going to see how far we can push his 85GT with the stock 7.5 rear and stock gears with a stock T-5
Same thing I've heard; but have not seen in person. I would think, just like using an 8" versus the more popular 9" rear diff in the "older days; the 8" get's the job done up to about 300rwhp. Probably the same situation with the 7.5 versus the 8.8" More power than that.... It becomes a crap shoot.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:20 AM   #4

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 7.5 T/L rear out of an 86 Turbo Coupe I am going to install in my Futura to start out with. Later it will be replaced by a 9".
Unless I have been ill informed, aren't the axles the same as 8.8 axles? The units look kind of puny, but I am not putting drag radials or slicks on right away, so I am hoping it will give me a summer's worth of use.
Anyone who has beat on one of these things hard, please chime in!
Thanks- L.W.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #5

Had one in my 83 gt DONT dump the clutch at 5,000 took off 5 teeth on the ring gear.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (31)

see sig.. I just added nitrous and it has taken the 75 shot with no problems so far It will be taking a 150 shot and we will see what happens but I think the reason mine wont break is beacuse I have a 8.8 ready to be swaped in when it does go
Old 02-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTsterLW
I am hoping it will give me a summer's worth of use.
Anyone who has beat on one of these things hard, please chime in!
Thanks- L.W.
I have BEAT THE CRAP out of mine. it just seems to take it. I have broke 2 trannys,1 imput shaft and 1 second gear cluster but the 7.5 is fine so far. 100 timeslips,10,000 miles and 1000 miles of driving like I was trying to break it
I dont dump the clutch and I dont hook for crap with street tires. with STICKEY TIRES IT WILL BREAK.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:59 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (161)

Thats the main thing, if you put tires to it or dump the clutch alot, it WILL break fast! I come from F-Bodys, they come with a d@mn 7.5 stock and it's a JOKE with a stick shift. If you can keep the clutch or tires spinning it will last a little while, take the fusable link out of the equation and blam!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #9

I broke the one in my old ranger with a 2.9 busted every tooth of the ring gear.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (12)

What gears came stock in the 7.5's?
Current project: 1931 Model A Ford tudor sedan, rat rodish with 2.3 turbo 5 speed
Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Crustang LX
What gears came stock in the 7.5's?

3.45 came in mine and seems to be pretty common.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (1)

they last a while if they dont have a trac-loc..
Old 02-23-2005, 01:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesillynotch
they last a while if they dont have a trac-loc..

I dont know
my trac-loc has seen many many passes and alot of street/highway miles. but I get NO traction,(2.1 60 foot ) NO dumping the clutch,NO crazy burnouts or anything like that.

now that I said that next time out its flying out the cover
Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 AM   #14

Trader Feedback: (2)

Running a 7.5 w 4.10s and lincoln locked its been bullet proof for several years now on slicks.

www.jsiskphotos.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement