Ford Mustang Forums banner

turbo launch

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  93MustangCobra 
#1 ·
Any of you do any footbrake launching with a turbo, or a pair of turbo's consistently? Reason for asking, I thought about doing something with my other car but I run a footbrake class, no transbrake allowed.

#2 ·
I foot brake my twin turbo car, but it's not a Ford, a lot heavier car with tall gears. Not as consistent as a trans brake, and I can't build much boost off the line, but the car has tiny turbos so the boost comes on hard right away. 1.59 60' times in a 4700# car with 2.65 gears. It can be done, but if you have big turbo(s) & a light car you are going to get some lag.

#3 ·
how many calipers you have on the rear?
we can hold a good bit of RPM and boost on the foot brake with dual strange on the rear.

could also use a dump valve to drop all converter charge pressure off and make it sit with nothing pushing the car.

#7 ·
Dump valve is out. It takes some time to get the converter to charge again after dumping. Not a lot, but it does take time. IOW, not instant. Someone asked about calipers. Car has single piston calipers front and rear and they work great. But I don't think they'll hold the car while trying to spool it.

Timing and nitrous might just do it-which was a trick I used on a 2.3T. A 50 shot and retarded timing would make 25 psi with a stick shift, at 4000 RPM. This might work at a lower RPM with an auto. Didn't think of it to be honest.

Car's in the shop, my dad's anxious to get it to the track and I'm sticking a N/A 347 back in it for the time being so he can get his fix. Eventually I'll do something with it. Just planning ahead of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.