Ford Mustang Forums banner

MT ET Street VS MT Slick.

8K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  4xFSChamp 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to decide if I want to stay with the slicks or go over to the ET Streets. Reason being is that I'm going to start going to the track again in a few weeks and carting the slicks to the track and swapping tires over at the track at the beginning / end of the day gets kinda old after awhile. Would be nice to swap wheels right at home in the garage the day of or the day before a trip to the track, that way I dont have to car my jack other stuff with me to do the swap there.

So what I would like to know is how do the ET streets compare to the Slicks? I know the ET streets are street legal b/c of the tread groves but beyond that what at the differences between these tires? How do they compare traction wise? I have a set of tubes from the slicks that I can run in them as well. Also do the ET's have as bad of a wobble at the end of the track as slicks do? Front runners are in the plan this year but wont happen by the time I get to the track.

When I say how do they compare traction wise I'm talking about a street strip car. I dont have an all out drag car or hard core suspension mods. What I do have is coil overs with strange 10 ways front/rear. Team Z K member and A arms, Team Z uppers and MM lowers and no front swaybar and also solid bushings in the rear.

#3 ·
I have a set of the radials. I like them but I want to run the bias ply or a slick for the track. I use the radials mostly for driving on the street when I was using them.

#4 ·
I've ran them all and I can tell you this, I don't believe my ET drags hooked any harder than my ET streets did. But, when I had the ET streets on the car I was driving it to the track on them and it seemed to take about 2-3 passes to get them to hook after I got there. The ET drags hook first pass off the trailer. I think both tires are equal within reason, but if your going to ET streets so you can drive on them instead of swap them at the track, it may take a few passes to get them to hook.

#5 ·
any reason on why they did not seem to hook as well if driven to the track? I do have a decent drive to get there, about an hr and 20 mins. But it would be nice to be able to drive right into tech instead of going and swapping the wheels over then teching in.

Its not really THAT much of a hassle but would be nice to have one less thing to do. The slicks I have now will probably be good for this season and after that I'll need to look at either getting the ET Streets or going with a stiff sidewall slick. Working on trying to get a set of front runners now to keep the sway effect down at the top of the track and also to drop more weight/rolling resistance.

#6 ·
I'm really not sure? My buddy said the same thing about his also though, when he was driving to the track on them the first couple of passes the car spun. I guess the tire gets a "funk" on it or something from the highway and it takes a bit to get them cleaned off and some good rubber on them?

#7 ·
yeah perhaps. Not sure if I want to deal with that b/c depending on what event I do I may not do a ton of pass's in a day anyway so Id hate to waste the first few just waiting for the tires to hook.

#9 ·
^^^^THIS^^^^^

You'd wear them out really darn fast, and seeing your from Maine I suspect you get quite a bit of rain. I'd hate to get caught an hour from home in the rain with ET street bias plys on. People will say they drive them all over on the streets, but technically they only have DOT makings and MT clearly states the ET street bias tires are NOT intended for street use and not really legal to run on the public roads.

#10 ·
They are legal for street use. They are not reccomended for normal street use. If your going to bolt them on Friday night and head to the track and remove them the next morning, thats perfectly fine. You would certainly not want them as a primary tire though. I have to agree though, i would not want to chance a commute that far on them for fear of the chance of rain. It took me 3hrs to make a 20-25 mile trip in my car on ET streets in the rain, thats the most scared I have ever been in a car.......

#11 ·
I keep a pretty good eye on the weather when going to the track but the tread wear of going that far did cross my mind before hand as well. Even though it would be nice not to swap over tires when I get there I would prob end up having to spend more in buying a new set in a short amount of time.

#16 ·
I have been carrying them to the track for 2 years and I was just looking for a better way. I would not care if I could haul the car there but no truck and no trailer makes that kinda difficult. I do like the slicks a lot, but I do want to get some stiff sidewall ones soon.

#17 ·
"ET streets do not even compare to the slick, waste of money. Your better off carry the slicks to the track and sweating a little for the reward"

X2. I've used both the bias ply et street and et drag, and they are not in the same league on my car. The et street is an M5 (medium) compound, and the et drag is an L8 compound, which is softer. If you need a bias ply dot, check out the 27x10.5" hoosier QTP. It's not as good as the et drag, but it's the best bias ply dot I've tried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.