Ford Mustang Forums banner

Notchback Fiberglass Trunk, How much will I save?

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  EAR2EAR 
#1 ·
I want a bolt on set up with the locking mech, etc. Anyone know exactly how much weight I will save? Its going on a 1990 mustang coupe not a hatch

#2 ·
not sure of exact weight but i know its not that much. Then u gotta fit the other one & paint it,pain in the ass to get the body lines right. Just stay w/the srock one.

#3 ·
:bs::bs::bs:a pound taken off equals something...a pound here... a pound there adds up

#4 ·
I have a coupe , and have the opinion like the last post, for every pound you shed it free's up more power.
The coupe deck lid does not weigh as much as a hatch (glass is a bunch), and the 'glass deck lid can't weigh that much either
That said every pound you shed is worth "X" horse power.
Drop the steel and get the glass.

#6 ·
if u have a coupe now weigh that & buy a fiberglass one & weigh that,y u need to know if ur gonna buy one anyway. Buy it & weigh it urself to find out. Not tryin to be a ##### but i assumed u were wonderin to see if it was worth spendin the money to buy it,body work & painted....sorry

#7 ·
It saves a bunch.Probably around 70-80lbs. as a glass one with Lexan weighs around 5lbs.(liftoff).I don't know of anywhere on a Fox that you can get anywhere near that kind of weight savings on a car that has been lightened in the usual means.Of course it's near the back of the car so many will say that's not ideal,but if you make enough power it's more about keeping the car off the bumper than anything,so weight bias isn't really an issue.

#9 ·
In the "Sleeper stock motor in a coupe pics" thread he bought a Trufiber trunklid.
Says it weighs about 5 lbs in THIS post.

Later weighed his stock lid and it weighs exactly 20.5 lbs without the latch mechanism in THIS post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.