Looking for suggestions (Pics) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Drag Racing

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (18)

Looking for suggestions (Pics)

I am looking for ways to get more travel out of my Strange 10 ways. I am using a 12" 170# spring and I have posted a pic of it "unloaded." I am going to change them because I think they are too heavy. 130# 12in springs are too soft so I guess that leaves me with 150s. Do you guys think 12" or 14"?. I know the 12" settles quicker, but does a longer spring help transfer weight better?

Also, do my CC plates look like they are pulling too much of the strut into the engine bay? Anything else I can do for more travel? I am thinking of cutting the bushings down. Bad idea? Open to suggestions

FWIW I am also using Team Z relocated uppers, double adj lowers, 4.56 gear, 255/60 MT DR, and a footbraked C4.

Last edited by GrimLX; 07-25-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (7)

What brand CC plates are those? Installing the bearing plate between the shock tower top and the main plate will gain a little. The spacer bushings look a little thick as well. The factory front control arm bushings are inherently "binding" which will slow down the rate of travel. I like my 12" 150's.

On another note, ditch that little air cleaner for the biggest one that will fit. Just my .02$.
91 notch, 408W, 10.5 comp, Jay Allen cam, Crane linkbars, Scorpion rockers, vic jr intake/heads, Canton pan, Mac longtubes, C4, UPR adj. uppers/lowers, Strange struts/shocks, subframe connectors, wild rides 6pt, Team Z k-member/anti-roll bar, MSD ignition.

Last edited by Mattstang65; 07-25-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstang65 View Post
What brand CC plates are those? Installing the bearing plate between the shock tower top and the main plate will gain a little. The spacer bushings look a little thick as well. The factory front control arm bushings are inherently "binding" which will slow down the rate of travel. I like my 12" 150's.

On another note, ditch that little air cleaner for the biggest one that will fit. Just my .02$.
Lol that IS the biggest that will fit under my stock hood. I just take it off at the track.

The CC plates are QA1's. I flipped the bearing plate, but I didn't think to put it under the main plate. Looks like it might hit the shock tower though. I'll look at it. Thanks for the idea
Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

Id try a 12/150, also I would cut the spacers on the caster and camber plates, they look very long!
Find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Z-Motorsports/191572224404
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (30)

I agree with Dave, but have you scaled the car? if the front end is light, which it looks to be you may not be to far out to try a 12/130
Mine is 1638 front the 130 seems to be working okay so far...
Kil Kare Speedway
Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKBOY View Post
I agree with Dave, but have you scaled the car? if the front end is light, which it looks to be you may not be to far out to try a 12/130
Mine is 1638 front the 130 seems to be working okay so far...
I tried 12" 130# springs before I bought the 170s. The coils were basically touching and the K member was really close to the ground (5-6"). I figured the front would be light but it seems to be a pig. I haven't re-weighed it lately.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (3)

If you're looking for more travel, I'd go with the 14". 130# shouldn't have touching coils, it's a pretty common stiffness. If you think it's too light, try 150#. That's what I'm running but I've got iron heads and a brass radiator. Have you test fitted a drop base air cleaner?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (97)

Springs have nothing to do with travel. Ride height and the strut mounting are all that control that.

Go with what Dave recomends. CC plates deff need some mods to work better

Tim
www.flowtechinduction.com
Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray86hatch View Post
Springs have nothing to do with travel. Ride height and the strut mounting are all that control that.

Go with what Dave recomends. CC plates deff need some mods to work better

Tim

I have started modding the plates. I removed the welded in bolts (nice) in the hub, and installed it from the other direction so the hub can be put under the plate without hitting the tower. I also cut the spacers down on a lathe. 12" 150# springs are on order. I don't know why they made these like this; I installed them as per directions, and I had less than 3" of travel. I think that combined with the dump truck springs were killing me. Hopefully it works out. Thanks everyone!!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimLX View Post
I have started modding the plates. I removed the welded in bolts (nice) in the hub, and installed it from the other direction so the hub can be put under the plate without hitting the tower. I also cut the spacers down on a lathe. 12" 150# springs are on order. I don't know why they made these like this; I installed them as per directions, and I had less than 3" of travel. I think that combined with the dump truck springs were killing me. Hopefully it works out. Thanks everyone!!

Sounds like your heading the right way.
91 notch, 408W, 10.5 comp, Jay Allen cam, Crane linkbars, Scorpion rockers, vic jr intake/heads, Canton pan, Mac longtubes, C4, UPR adj. uppers/lowers, Strange struts/shocks, subframe connectors, wild rides 6pt, Team Z k-member/anti-roll bar, MSD ignition.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstang65 View Post
Sounds like your heading the right way.
I hope so. I don't know if I will be able to test it anytime soon. I think I found a buyer for all my 302 stuff so I might be calling it a season. And getting rid of that goofy, ugly HEI. We will see.

I have also been debating going to a slick tire, as track prep is awful here anymore. Or atleast get a wider radial; I measured this 255 and it's barely 8" wide.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (2)

Where do you race?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue351 View Post
Where do you race?
Benton, Charleston, or Gateway mainly. All of them are about 1 hour or less from me.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #14

Forgot to add, it looks like the CC plate mods gained me 1 1/8" of travel if anyone is looking to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement