8.8" Rearend Limits & Bracing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Drag Racing

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (30)

8.8" Rearend Limits & Bracing

What are the limits on an 8.8" rear end in a foxbody? I know big daddy has been in the 6's with it I believe. My setup is a 3,000 lb coupe with 400 ci motor with 91/94mm turbo. Plan is to use a powerglide with a 3:55 gear or so and 28" tire. Looking to go bottom 8's when dialed in

Plan is to get a bare 8.8 housing, narrow it 2 inches each side,weld up tubes, brace it, strange 35 spline axles and spool (talked to dave @ team z and he said strange now offers these for 8.8's), cover, 9" ends, ect.

What is best way to brace an 8.8? I want to do mine something like this:

http://www.bsronline.net/mig/index.p...dup/Rear%20End

I am not sure whether to get a 9" or build an 8.8. I know that the 9" is obviously much stronger when built compared to the 8.8, but it also is going to cost me at least double to build the 8.8 compared to the 9".

What have you read about the 8.8's living under big horsepower? I just dont want to spend the money if I dont need to. I have had people tell me 8.8 will be fine for my combo and others say it is pushing it.....what do you guys think? Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Build a 9 inch and be done. This is the biggest thing that I see constantly is that people wont spend more the first time but it cost you more in the long run. I am not sure it would probably live but IF it broke by the time you fix it you have your 9inch

Rob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

Isn't there more parasitic power loss with a 9 inch? And aren't they heavier?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (4)

Garage
My 9" is about 50 lbs heavier than an equally equipped 8.8. As far as parasitic loss, I don't know. The 8.8 can be built to handle the power you plan. Several True 10.5 racers down here have been in the 7s with built/braced 8.8s.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #5

i did a 8.8 with 35 spline axles,spool. then i was told the spool on the 8.8 with 35 spline axles are not any good because there is not enough metal to keep them strong. so i did a 9inch with 40 spline axles and im done. at the time i was doing a bbf with a 101mm turbo and i was going to make 2000 + hp to the tires.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (10)

We have been deep in the 8's with an 8.8, i would say for your intended usage you will be fine. If you do plan to step up the power later however, you may want to go ahead with a 9".

Faststang90, are you using a stock /braced 9" housing with that power? If so, you will want to consider a chromoly fabbed housing. We couldnt get the car to go straight for nothing and come to find out our housing was twisted and causing this. We now run a fabbed housing with 40 spline MW floaters and the car now go's straight as an arrow.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststang90 View Post
i did a 8.8 with 35 spline axles,spool. then i was told the spool on the 8.8 with 35 spline axles are not any good because there is not enough metal to keep them strong. so i did a 9inch with 40 spline axles and im done. at the time i was doing a bbf with a 101mm turbo and i was going to make 2000 + hp to the tires.
That's what I heard also, but these new strange 35 spline axles seem like they are a nice piece and look promising. Its not that I am cheap I have the money to build a 9" if I need to I just don't see the point if I can do this with an 8.8" and save some money that can be used somewhere else.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (58)

the 8.8 uses less HP, weigh's less, and is cheaper to build if you already have one. My opinion is stay with the 8.8 unless you plan on going stupid fast, and or just want the extra insurance of the 9"

Still on the fence about 35 splines in a 8.8, I was told (but don't know for sure) that the area around the bearing gets pretty thin with the 35 splines.

Dave built one of my 8.8's for my turbo car, and he used the 33 splines...Dave could tell you best.

2X True Street Super Bowl winner
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #9

that is what I am worried about I am going to call strange and talk to an engineer and ask how thin the wall is compared to the 33 spline
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #10

What kind of stuff should I do to my 8.8 to make it live in a 89GT that will run low 10s to high 9s? I am new to the 8.8s and not sure how far to go.
Thanks

P.S. sorry for the hijack.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (5)

Welded tubes....axle braces....strange 33 spline internals and 9 inch ends and you'll be set
Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #12

the axles ate not the problem with the 35 spline. its the spool for the 35 spline axles. the axles are so big they have to cut alot out of the spool and the spool is weak. if u are going to stay with the 8.8 do the 9 inch ends. 33 and a spool u should be good but u need to brace and weld the tubes
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (2)

We regularly build 8.8's to handle 1000hp and live, it is all in the housing prep and welding of the tubes, also the set up of the internals, The housings we've done were built with 33 spline strange component's. Now strange has desighned a new spool for the 8.8 to handle more power and 35 spline axels, so with the right parts and prep an 8.8 will hold 800-1000 hp no problem!
Find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Z-Motorsports/191572224404
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #14

ok Dave since you joined in what would you build for a full weight fox with the power range lets say 1300hp? im talking if this was your car what would you do?

Last edited by 95gtsonce; 02-25-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Z View Post
We regularly build 8.8's to handle 1000hp and live, it is all in the housing prep and welding of the tubes, also the set up of the internals, The housings we've done were built with 33 spline strange component's. Now strange has desighned a new spool for the 8.8 to handle more power and 35 spline axels, so with the right parts and prep an 8.8 will hold 800-1000 hp no problem!
Dave could you PM me what your cost is for an 8.8 narrowed and inch or two with 9 inch ends with strange 33 spline axles/spool, tubes welded and with gears?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststang90 View Post
I was told the spool on the 8.8 with 35 spline axles are not any good because there is not enough metal to keep them strong.
Ive seen this posted a few time but havent seen any concrete evidence proving so. This is the set-up that Dave @ Team Z reccomended & supplied so i'm confident they will be fine if Dave is reccomending them.

Maybe he'll chime in on this particular subject.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gtsonce View Post
ok Dave since you joined in what would you build for a full weight fox with the power range lets say 1300hp? im talking if this was your car what would you do?
1300hp Id build a 9'' for piece of mind like I said we have 8.8's in allot of fast cars but it's like a grenade with the pin pulled!

Chris Tuten has an 8.8 in his SSO car it weighs close to 3100 pounds and makes well over 1500 but if he sixty's faster than a 1.20 he starts to break parts, but his issue is weight, the extra 20lbs bothers him, so we are trying to develop an 8.8 that will hold the power and stress of 1 teen sixty foots!
Find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Z-Motorsports/191572224404
Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #18

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkillr View Post
Ive seen this posted a few time but havent seen any concrete evidence proving so. This is the set-up that Dave @ Team Z reccomended & supplied so i'm confident they will be fine if Dave is reccomending them.

Maybe he'll chime in on this particular subject.
I have also and was advised against it building my new rear that I just picked up a few weeks ago. My chassis guy recommended the 35 spline and I agree'd to it but when he ordered the stuff it was declined by Strange saying to stick with the 35 spline stuff.
NOW - 8.78 @ 152 - L&M Teksid, TVS @ 20PSI
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtcobra2k1 View Post
What are the limits on an 8.8" rear end in a foxbody? I know big daddy has been in the 6's with it I believe. My setup is a 3,000 lb coupe with 400 ci motor with 91/94mm turbo. Plan is to use a powerglide with a 3:55 gear or so and 28" tire. Looking to go bottom 8's when dialed in

Plan is to get a bare 8.8 housing, narrow it 2 inches each side,weld up tubes, brace it, strange 35 spline axles and spool (talked to dave @ team z and he said strange now offers these for 8.8's), cover, 9" ends, ect.

What is best way to brace an 8.8? I want to do mine something like this:

http://www.bsronline.net/mig/index.p...dup/Rear%20End

I am not sure whether to get a 9" or build an 8.8. I know that the 9" is obviously much stronger when built compared to the 8.8, but it also is going to cost me at least double to build the 8.8 compared to the 9".

What have you read about the 8.8's living under big horsepower? I just dont want to spend the money if I dont need to. I have had people tell me 8.8 will be fine for my combo and others say it is pushing it.....what do you guys think? Thanks!
Just tell Dave at Team Z how fast you wanna go..he will hook you up with everything. We have been 8.82 with nothing more than welded tubed, brace girdle and 33 spline set up. stock ends!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (24)

Ive never heard anyone say they broke a 35 spline spool,just guys talking about the material thickness on these forums.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (75)

I have bracing being done on my rear this week. I will post some pictures afterwards. Doing something similar to the UPR kit on the back, and some bracing on the bottom. I still have 31 spline axles w/ 9 inch large bearing ends and an Eaton in a car that I'm working downward from 9.5x area. Racing in true street I'm dodging the spool.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mjovanis
Thanks: DiSomma Racing Engines, PSI Speed Solutions, Haltech, UPR, Baer Brakes, BBRC
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked90hatch View Post
Welded tubes....axle braces....strange 33 spline internals and 9 inch ends and you'll be set
thats what i got in my setup. i love it and got to keep the ABS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement