Wheels and Tires for 65 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Classic Mustangs & Fords

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 04:13 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Wheels and Tires for 65 Mustang

Hello All,
I've got a 1964 1/2 Mustang convertable that I want to get a new set of tires and wheels for. Its got the bias ply reproduction tires for shows, but i wanted to get a set of Radial TAs with some new wheels for everyday driving. Can't really seem to find anything on the internet about boltspacing or the best backspacing. I also want to run Cragar SS or TTDs. What wheels sizes are best for this combo? Also, I want to stick with 15 inch wheels. Thanks in Advance.
-Dave

1995 BMW M3---Hit and Run fatality

1972 Buick Skylark---Getting painted this winter!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2003, 09:52 AM   #2

Ahem, click the link below
Old 04-09-2003, 09:54 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

I have 15x7 with Yokohama P205/60/15 all the way around on my 66. Most people said their 215s fit, but some said they rubbed. I wasn't willing to take that chance, and I think the 205s look great. Check it out.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #4

So, will the 225/60/15s fit then? I'm not really interested in modifying the body to make the tires fit, and also the suspension on the car is stock-no drop or anything. Also, what size is the bolt patten for 65? Thanks in advance.
-Dave

Old 04-09-2003, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
from Jay's wheel chart......

Sizings recorded in bold are those reported by VMF members to fit without rubbing and no fender modifications.

The 225/60/15 is probably going to rub the fender which will require you to roll the fender edges.

64 1/2 Coupe-under construction

"Some people spend all weekend waxing a car and getting every spec of dust off...just to drive it to work on Monday. Others spend the weekend at the track coating the rear quarter panel in burnt rubber"
Old 04-09-2003, 03:09 PM   #6

Bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5" ... you have a V8 5lug car right?

Also, as for the chart the non-bold entries are the traditional recs in the magazines etc.

Every sizing on my chart is with NO MODIFICATIONS ... and generally work with lowering too.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:32 PM   #7

I stand corrected. I misunderstood Jay's chart. I only know one person that has used this size but it was on a 68 Cougar so I'm not sure how'd they'd fit on a Mustang. About the same, probably.

64 1/2 Coupe-under construction

"Some people spend all weekend waxing a car and getting every spec of dust off...just to drive it to work on Monday. Others spend the weekend at the track coating the rear quarter panel in burnt rubber"

Last edited by jpony645; 04-09-2003 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:43 PM   #8

Yes, its a 5 lug V8 car. So the biggest tire thats gonna fit without rolling the fenders, etc is a 205/60/15? I was really hoping to get a little more tire than that under there. 66Emberglo, what kind of backspacing are you running with those wheels and tires? That combo looks sharp

-Dave

Old 04-09-2003, 03:55 PM   #9

According to Jay's chart, you can go with the 225/60/15 if you get wheels with a 4.25 offset. My wheels are the standard 3.75 offset.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:47 PM   #10

How about a 15x8 wheel on the front with a 225/60/15? I don't see that combo on the size chart when I looked, but will it rub or stick out in the front? I'm having a hard time finding wheels in 15x7 with 4.25 backspacing and 5 on 4.5 boltpattern. But I can find 15x8 with the same specs--Any ideas on whether this will rub or stick out from under the fender?
Thanks in advance,
-Dave

Old 04-10-2003, 12:07 AM   #11

Summit Racing (18002303030) sells Wheel Vintiques brand in the sizes you are looking for. They stock the Magnum 500s but can order the Gt wheels.They also carry Cragar and American Racing(ttds are thee best looking in my opinion). THe 15x8 should work with a 4.5" BS. Guys correct me if I'm wrong.
5.0L w/E-cam,1.7s & GT40 irons, MSD,Hooker super comps(jethot),Dr. Gas X, Hooker Aero Chambers,Meg's Tips, GT rear valence.
Master Power disc brake kit.
subframes, Auburn pro-posi and 3.25s
Old 04-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by kyle67
The 15x8 should work with a 4.5" BS. Guys correct me if I'm wrong.
Everything I've read/heard about the 65/66s says that will not work on the fronts without rubbing.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:45 PM   #13

NPD sells Styled Steel Wheels in a 15x7 with 4.25 backspacing for $160 apiece.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:33 PM   #14

not to hijack your thread, but i was wondering if 94-95 pony rims would work, they are 16x7.5 with 5.5inch backspacing and 225 55R16's. What might i have to do to make them work and what size spacers might i need? this is for a 65.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by ElPhantasmo
not to hijack your thread, but i was wondering if 94-95 pony rims would work, they are 16x7.5 with 5.5inch backspacing and 225 55R16's. What might i have to do to make them work and what size spacers might i need? this is for a 65.
Use the chart, a little math will give you the difference and the needed spacer width... btw the wheels will go right on the rear, they just look a little sunken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement