Ford Mustang Forums banner

1964 Fastback 351w Engine rebuild questions

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Philly4lyfe 
#1 ·
1968 Fastback 351w Engine rebuild questions

I have a few questions about which direction to take my new project.

I am purchasing a 1968 fastback from a guy who is abandoning the project. I am looking for suggestion on which way to go for my power train.

First I'll give you some background. I have basic mechanical skill but no training. I have changed brakes, rotors and installed a cold air intake on my car but nothing major. I am willing to learn as I go and can dedicate some time but not a ton.

The car comes with a 1978 351 windsor. The guy says it is in working order but he planned to machine it to a 357 and rebuild it. It is already torn down to the block. It comes with GT40 heads as well. It is converted to a manual and already has a clutch cable.

Based on the research I've done, I planned on either mating it to a tko 500/600 or t56 if I can find one for a reasonable price.

I am a spirited driver and may take it to the track for fun but no drag racing. My other car has about 300 HP and based on that I probably want to be in the 350 range. I will use it as a weekend driver.

So my question is should I convert the 351 to a roller? How much would this rebuild plus transmission and adapters cost? Is it better to find a junked 2001+ GT and take the engine and 3650 tranny or t56 if I can find a Cobra as a setup? For me in order of importance are reliability, performance, fuel economy.

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
i would build a mild 393w. basically a 351w with a 3.85 stroke. that allows you to use stock 351w rods and stock 302 pistons. since you only want to build about 350hp, that is all you need to help keep costs down. cranks are available from summit racing. i would use a roller cam, probably from comp cams, something with about .520-.550 lift, and around 220 duration at .050" lift. with the extra cubes, that will still be a mild cam. run a good set of heads, like the edelbrock performer rpm heads, with flat top pistons your compression ration should be right around 9.5:1, a nice streetable compression ratio. top that off with a good header, and a weiand stealth intake and a 750-850cfm carb.

#4 ·
The car comes with a 1978 351 windsor. The guy says it is in working order but he planned to machine it to a 357 and rebuild it. It is already torn down to the block. It comes with GT40 heads as well. It is converted to a manual and already has a clutch cable.
you lost me at clutch cable for a '68.

sell the 78 stuff. find a 94 and up block(any 94+ truck is roller block look for part # F4TEblahblahblah)

Based on the research I've done, I planned on either mating it to a tko 500/600 or t56 if I can find one for a reasonable price.
get ready to reshape a floor pan if go t56.

I am a spirited driver and may take it to the track for fun but no drag racing. My other car has about 300 HP and based on that I probably want to be in the 350 range. I will use it as a weekend driver.
sell the gt40 heads too if you're goal is over 300hp.

So my question is should I convert the 351 to a roller? How much would this rebuild plus transmission and adapters cost? Is it better to find a junked 2001+ GT and take the engine and 3650 tranny or t56 if I can find a Cobra as a setup? For me in order of importance are reliability, performance, fuel economy.
you are aware of the can of worms being opened by trying to shove a mod motor into this platform, right?

go buy a wrecked 4th gen camaro, pull the ls1 and 6 speed out of it and shove it in w/ a GTO oil pan, problem solved.

#5 ·
you lost me at clutch cable for a '68.

sell the 78 stuff. find a 94 and up block(any 94+ truck is roller block look for part # F4TEblahblahblah)

get ready to reshape a floor pan if go t56.

sell the gt40 heads too if you're goal is over 300hp.

you are aware of the can of worms being opened by trying to shove a mod motor into this platform, right?

go buy a wrecked 4th gen camaro, pull the ls1 and 6 speed out of it and shove it in w/ a GTO oil pan, problem solved.
Except if I go with the LS1 and T56 then I have to mod the tunnel? It seems like the rate limiting step is connecting the engine to the tranny and the simplest way (outside of and old Camaro power train) is to go with the tko. Apparently they fit without any mods and will just require a specific bellhousing and maybe a different mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.