Fox strut tower / frame rail rust repair - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (21)

Fox strut tower / frame rail rust repair

Hi, I recently got an 88 coupe and I'm putting the engine and tranny out of my 88 GT in it. When the 4 banger was removed I see lots of rust around the frame rail and strut tower. I saw an old post on this where the guy welded in 2x3 tubing to replace the rails but the pics don't work on it. I would mostly like to know what he did about the k-member bolts and how far back the frame was cut out. Anyone else have any experience or pics of this? Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Do you have any pics?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #3

Your best bet is to cut all the rot out. Then get some heavy duty steel and reinforce that area. That is a critical point being it is the strut tower and where the K member bolts up. I saw a local fab shop just section som new metal. Look like 1/8" steel, and it looked great!
91 Mustang GT 4.6L 32V Cobra motor, T-45 trans, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster cat-back, 3.73's, Sub-frames, LCA's, SN95 dash, column, console swap. ABS, 5-lug, 4 wheel disc brakes, Cobra grill, spoiler, bumper.

04 Cobra--Whipple 2.3L,17psi, 595RWHP
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (21)

I don't have any pics yet but without looking at my car I was just wondering how far back a person should go with this. I would really like to see some more pics if anyone has any.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (7)

before

After:

the inner before.

after

Pain is weakness leaving your body.

www.thefusionsolution.com
Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #6

That is what I was talking about. I also recommend putting new steel on the top too. You don't want rotted metal where the bolt goes through the nut. You should tighten those with a 1/2" impact gun and if they are rotted you could pull the metal down or break it right out of there.
91 Mustang GT 4.6L 32V Cobra motor, T-45 trans, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster cat-back, 3.73's, Sub-frames, LCA's, SN95 dash, column, console swap. ABS, 5-lug, 4 wheel disc brakes, Cobra grill, spoiler, bumper.

04 Cobra--Whipple 2.3L,17psi, 595RWHP
Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (37)

thats some pretty serious rot. you sure you got it all out?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #8

I found a car in a salvage yard and cut out some pieces that I needed. This way I know it is the same material and will react the same way in a collision.
I don't know how to post pictures but I have some.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (6)

That patch looks like a 2 year old did it. Weld it in flush and make it look like nothing has ever been done to it.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #10

Sorry to hijack, but I have the same issue, only a little worse.

The very bottom of my strut tower is rotted out as well as the frame on the passenger side. I plan on replacing all of it with new metal - but what do I do about the sleeves that are in the frame, for the kmember bolts? I was planning on using box steel to replace the frame right there - would the sleeves be necessary if I go that route?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (6)

If yours is that bad I say find another car, they are a dime a dozen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement