Little white spots on my paint - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Little white spots on my paint

I keep getting little white spots on my black paint. The paint job was a pretty expensive one, but is about 5 years old now. I have always been bothered by little white spots that show up and are hard to get out.

I garage the car mostly, and hardly ever drive it. The paint job is still in really good condition, but periodically gets little white spots about the size of a pin head, or even the point of a pin. You can feel them with your finger, and can scratch them off. I usually use a clay bar, since my fingernail will scratch the paint. Even my Porter Cable polisher doesn't really get them off. I'm sure if would if I spent ALOT of time with it, but the clay bar treatment pretty much gets it right out.

It is definitely something on the surface, but isn't from a tree or anything since I don't drive the car much. It's almost like something collecting in pits, except the surface is baby smooth after I remove the spot with a clay bar.

It's just a little bit annoying at this point, as it requires alot of work. I just switched over to a new wax (I believe it is Mothers pure carnuba wax paste), and was using Macguires high tech yellow wax before.

Just curious of anyone has any ideas of what could be causing it. I'll have to monitor and see if I get the same results from the new wax.
92 GT Vert, Keith Craft 306, SQ-Trim w/Power Cooler, Edelbrock 6037's/Performer intake, FTI cam, 60's, Walbro GSS340, T-56 6-speed, Spec Stage Three, Baer Brakes, Griggs Suspension, 3.55's. Best time - 11.56 @ 121.75, 1.78 60' on ET Streets (7.48 @ 95.69 1/8th) - with E-303 cam, 500 rwhp/463 rwtq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

go back to the high tec yello. i use the yellow on most cars. i use the pure carnuba on lighter color cars.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #3

I have the same thing happening to my car too. The paint is in great shape and always kept waxed. The only thing I can think of causing it are those white markers they use at the dragstrip. It turns to dust when you scrape it off the window and gets all over the place. Do you go to the strip ever?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe76 View Post
I have the same thing happening to my car too. The paint is in great shape and always kept waxed. The only thing I can think of causing it are those white markers they use at the dragstrip. It turns to dust when you scrape it off the window and gets all over the place. Do you go to the strip ever?
I haven't been in years. But, that could definitely be one cause.

It definitely seems like something getting on the surface from somewhere, since the paint is in great shape.
92 GT Vert, Keith Craft 306, SQ-Trim w/Power Cooler, Edelbrock 6037's/Performer intake, FTI cam, 60's, Walbro GSS340, T-56 6-speed, Spec Stage Three, Baer Brakes, Griggs Suspension, 3.55's. Best time - 11.56 @ 121.75, 1.78 60' on ET Streets (7.48 @ 95.69 1/8th) - with E-303 cam, 500 rwhp/463 rwtq
Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (1)

Klearkote Carnuba Moose Wax. I HIGHLY recommend this.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Klearkote Carnuba Moose Wax. I HIGHLY recommend this.
Never heard of that. I'll have to do some research. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #7

Are you using a car cover?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #8

I'm thinking there is some very small pitting in the paint and since you are using a nuba wax, it will fill up the pit and turn white once it cures. Try using a sealant instead of a wax. It will not cure white.
WiiShopper.net
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Are you using a car cover?
No, but in my garage all it gets is a light coating of dust on it after awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danponjican View Post
I'm thinking there is some very small pitting in the paint and since you are using a nuba wax, it will fill up the pit and turn white once it cures. Try using a sealant instead of a wax. It will not cure white.
The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if that is what is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement