Sunroof Delete on a fox? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (8)

Sunroof Delete on a fox?

I have an 89 Fox body. It has the moonroof installed on the car and I dont like it. I want to delete it and make it appear as if it came from the factory with just a roof. Has anyone done this before? I need some advice about it. My roof has a couple of dents in to toward the front from where the hood flew up while I was towing the car (its a roller) so I have to have the roof worked on anyway, so I was thinking the delete might be a good idea at the same time. Also, if I did do this delete then I'm assuming a normal Full non-sunroof headliner should fit in just perfect too correct? Thanks everyone. I know this is an odd question but any and all help is appreciated. If there are any pics of this out there too that would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (4)

its not an odd question...my leaking sunroof is driving me nuts..i want it gone too...its not like it actually slides open anyway...all it does is leak and cause problems.

subscribing...

cardomain . com / id / v8foxbody
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

I've never done this or anything, but it seems the only way to really take care of it would be to weld in new sheetmetal, but I would think it would be a PITA to grind down the welds and smooth it out... Obviously you would need a new headliner, and pics would be helpful to show how the sunroof mechanism is attached.

Probably best to stick with the sunroof, or get a car that is a standard roof to begin with.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

The right body man with a steady hand and the correct thickness of sheet metal you could make this work.After the welding there would no doubt be some grinding and then bondo and putty and if done correctly i would assume you would never know it was there.Just my 02 cents.Im no body man but i have seen a lot harder tasks than this pulled off on fox cars.
Mike...................
Old 10-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (35)

I seen this done on a DIY show once, it was a horrible job, it looks like its just a piece of metal, but you have to get the contour exactly right or you get a huge lump or dip in the middle of the roof, I would just leave it alone.

Rich
Old 10-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #6

Ok, well then what about roofskins? I was told that they used to sell Roofskins, like you could buy just a roofskin that hasn't been installed before. Anyone know anything about this? Notwithstanding that, anyone know where you can get NEW sunroof parts, mainly the retaining clips. Could anyone do me a huge favor and take a couple pics of there sunroof from above. Mine has huge gaps between the glass and the roof recess, and I haven't seen one properly installed in a few years so I get what its suppossed to look like. the whole reason for this thread is that I had an incident where the hood of the stang flew up while in tow, and it dented the front of the roof right above the windshield, and also shattered the original sunroof. I got a used sunroof, but it was just the glass. Thanks yall.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (35)

50 Resto sells all the parts, I used to have a sunroof mustang, I just filled in the area all around the sunroof with black silicone, and permanantly sealed it, it actually looked pretty good.

Rich
Old 10-20-2006, 02:55 AM   #8

I changed my roof. Check here for a quick how to.

Link to topic

You can check my album there under Zap's 85 GT to see some pics.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Formerly fiveooutlaw

Trader Feedback: (3)

I have a buddy who is getting rid of his sunroof. He just bought a skin and is gonna cut and weld a new one on there. He said they usually come out looking good like they are from the factory. Perfect fit with no more leakage like the both of us.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #10

Can you cut the section you need from a Junk yard?
Ephesians 6:10
Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #11

Well, it seems that the only right way to do this is with a roofskin. I was told by some shops that you used to be able to purchase a new roofskin by itself but I haven't been able to locate one. You can use a junkyard one but its not worth the trouble for me. If I could find a new roof skin it might be worth it though. Anyone know if these are still available?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:18 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (59)

it might be easier for you to pick up a 4cyl car and clip the top . if its nice its as good as new . im sure some one has a couple skids of the roof top skins in some warehouse. just waiting to cash in 15 years from now .i was on a oem part hunt for a long time everytime i would call on the part. i would be on the phone for at least 15 min. then come to find out they dont have it because they stop making the parts for the cars.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmonk7663 View Post
You can use a junkyard one but its not worth the trouble for me.
Why not? A clean roof skin off a donor car won't take much more than an hours or two to split off the structure, it'll come with the center brace and if you play your cards right you can even get the right coloured headliner and dome light as well....cheap.

We did my buddy's car a few years back, he bought a donor roof cut halfway down the pillers for $50. Everything he needed to converter it to a smooth top. A few nights in the garage and it was welded on and smoothed out.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #14

Well, the reason it wouldn't be worth the trouble is I have no clue how to remove a roof and I for sure don't know how to install one and weld one. I tried welding once. My beads look like just that, lots of little metal beads haha. If there was somone on the board in Texas that wanted to do this work for me for $$ cash I would pay a couple hundred bucks for the work and help with the install. I live in Houston, TX.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #15
Formerly fiveooutlaw

Trader Feedback: (3)

It would probably be cheaper to go to a junk yard and cut one off than buy a new roofskin. It would have to be pretty cheap to cut one but to buy one, you know theyr'e gonna rip you off.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #16

Regardless, even with a new roof skin you'd still need to fit it and weld it after cutting the old one off. Good used makes sense.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #17

You have a point, but the fact still remains I have no clue how to remove a used one from the junkyard car. Like I said, if anyone is in Texas and wants to do some roof surgery let me know :-)
Old 10-24-2006, 05:48 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (11)

This is the link you need to look at.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...unroof+removal

If the pics do not work, I suggest getting in touch with the thread starter so he can forward them to you.
Good Luck,
Vito

Last edited by VitoScilla; 10-24-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #19

I haven't gotten serious about it yet, but I was thinking of trying to find someone that does carbon fiber work. I'd really like to net a sunroof frame from a junkyard and have the glass taken out and put a carbon fiber insert in it's place. At least that way I can swap the glass out for the carbon fiber in the summer, and then put the glass back in for the winter. I haven't seen anyone else do this but I think it would look pretty good on a black car.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #20

i also have a sunroof and hate it. i am going to get some nice aluminium sheet metal and use my glass piece as a template for an aluminium replacement. then im going to silicone it shut and never touch it agian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement