How much paint required to paint an entire car? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

How much paint required to paint an entire car?

Hey everybody i'm looking to get my 95 mustang repainted and was wondering how much paint i would have to pick up to get the whole car painted?
a couple quarts, a gallon?

i'm looking to buy some paint and have a paint shop do the actual prepping / spraying for me.

thanks for any help guys.

also how much clear coat would I need? thanks.

-nc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Smile

i just painted a 88lx coupe and it took about 1/2 gallon the car was shot with sealer first. I bought a gallon just in case. It was base/ clear ..if i could figure out how to put a photo on here i would. O yeah i shot a gallon and a quart of clear on it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #3

They will probaly want to buy the paint themselves.

I bought a gallon of paint for my car...jambs, under the hatch, and still had some left over. It's better to have a little left over than not enough.

TOO MUCH IS...JUST ENOUGH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellos88gt View Post
fine. I'm out. I don't need this place.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (5)

I know I don't like spraying with someone else's paint unless they decide there is no warranty on the work. I am hoping that you talked this over with the shop first and they are willing to.

A gallon gets me through all the jambs, engine compartment, under hood and hatch/trunk as well as whole car with a little left over. Same with clear.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puter View Post
I know I don't like spraying with someone else's paint unless they decide there is no warranty on the work. I am hoping that you talked this over with the shop first and they are willing to.

A gallon gets me through all the jambs, engine compartment, under hood and hatch/trunk as well as whole car with a little left over. Same with clear.

OLD thread revival....One gallon reduced?

Im looking to buy some paint...cant spend too much.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #6

Color, brand of paint, can change the answer, but generally, yes, 1 gallon of sprayable material (base coat) should be enough. Definatley enough for a 'vert which has less surface area to cover. For clear, that will depend on how much you like to spray (and you technique, gun setup, etc). 1 gallon of clear might get you good coverage, but if you plan to cut and buff, you may find you need a little more clear on there to ensure you don't cut back down to the base when you wet sand.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue 5.0 View Post
Color, brand of paint, can change the answer, but generally, yes, 1 gallon of sprayable material (base coat) should be enough. Definatley enough for a 'vert which has less surface area to cover. For clear, that will depend on how much you like to spray (and you technique, gun setup, etc). 1 gallon of clear might get you good coverage, but if you plan to cut and buff, you may find you need a little more clear on there to ensure you don't cut back down to the base when you wet sand.
Thanks for the reply Big Blue,

I will be using ProSpray..its reduced 1:1. I will be spraying LeMans blue over a black sealer. My car is a hatchback..will be doing engine bay, Jambs and all. I am trying to get by with 2qts unreduced. Never really painted before so dont know what I can get by with.

Rick
Old 02-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (7)

gonna take a lot of base to cover that black sealer i would think. i would go with a dark grey sealer and then a gallon sprayable should be enough.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #9

On a fox depending on the color 2-3quarts usually gets me by I use sherwin williams.
Blueprinted 302 stock block, Crane Cam 2040, Edelbrock performer 5.0, Gt40 Y heads gasket matched, 1.6's, 42'sand LMAF, SCT tuned, Vortech A-trim Ho 10.5lbs with Upr power pipe,Oil seperator, MSD 6al and BTM, 3g Alt,3550 and 3:55 gears, bbk equal shorties meth kit .394.5RWTQ@4700 392.5RWHP @ 5700
Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

How much paint to paint a car

Hey guys, This was a very helpful post and video that tony bandalos (my instructor) posted on the blog. Check it out: How Much Paint To Paint a Car | http://learnautobodyandpaint.com/

Cheers,

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement