GT tail light lense covers...how to remove? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 08:08 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

GT tail light lense covers...how to remove?

Ok I know how to remove the light assembly from my car (thats easy) however on one of my lenses the louvers are beginning to come away (happoned after I got hit) and I am just wondering how the hell do you take off and in stall the actual louvers? I wanna know so I can get them back to as perfect as can be.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (32)

Lense removal is very easy....there are clips all around the lense that connect it to the tail light housing. There is also some black putty that holds them on. to removes them GENTLY pry the lense away from the tail light housing. If you open your hatch you will see a gap on top of the housing between it and the lense....just carefull pry them apart. The louvers themselves are glued/epoxied to the lenses....
bill@cjponyparts.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Snake
Lense removal is very easy....there are clips all around the lense that connect it to the tail light housing. There is also some black putty that holds them on. to removes them GENTLY pry the lense away from the tail light housing. If you open your hatch you will see a gap on top of the housing between it and the lense....just carefull pry them apart. The louvers themselves are glued/epoxied to the lenses....

so you just pry them appart? what about the clips? can they break? do you have to replace them? If so where can I buy them? The black putty you speak of can it be cleaned off and RTV be used in its place? I would love to know so I can pull em appart this weekend and reseat everything
Old 01-31-2005, 05:21 PM   #4

You should be able to buy that putty at an auto body supply store. I used 3M Strip-Caulk, part no. 051135-08578 (black). Came in long thin strips, 60 feet in 1 foot lengths separated by waxed paper. It's probably better to use that stuff than some other type of sealant that might make them nearly impossible to remove again if you ever need to again.
1983 GT;410 Windsor;AFR225;Comp Cams HR "Cheater" cam (.546,236/240,109);Vic Jr intake;Holley 750HP vac sec;MSD ign./dist;Holley black fp;AJE K-mem;Kooks 1-7/8" stainless headers;Dr Gas 3.5"-2.5" x-pipe;Magnaflow 2.5" muffs/pipes;Spec 10.5" alum flywheel/Stage 3 clutch;Tremec T56 Viper 6-spd; alum driveshaft; 9" rear;4:11 gears;Auburn Pro diff;H&R Super Sport springs;Koni red struts/shocks;Steeda dbl adj upper/lower arms. 466 rwhp@5750 rpm,464rwtq@4750 rpm on a Mustang dyno,over 400 rwtq from 2400-6100 rpms.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:34 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (32)

jnfsu is dead on....The 3M strip caulk is the way to go...Its also known as dum-dum if you can't find the 3M stuff. It will hold yet is pliable enough to remove, just like the factory stuff. The clips can break but they are fairly sturdy as long as they are warm.....if its cold where you are try to warm them up before you remove them.....take your time and you will be fine...
bill@cjponyparts.com
Old 01-31-2005, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfsu
You should be able to buy that putty at an auto body supply store. I used 3M Strip-Caulk, part no. 051135-08578 (black). Came in long thin strips, 60 feet in 1 foot lengths separated by waxed paper. It's probably better to use that stuff than some other type of sealant that might make them nearly impossible to remove again if you ever need to again.

Awsome ! so just that strip needs to be replaced? You dont need to redo the clips or anything correct?
If not Ill be redoing them this weekend
Old 01-31-2005, 06:50 PM   #7

Just replace the strips. Be careful removing the lenses though or you can easily crack them. No real trick to it that I'm aware of. Just go slowly and carefully. It would probably help if you brought them inside and let them thoroughly warm up before you try it. The warmer the better I would think, though, of course, you don't want to warp them.
1983 GT;410 Windsor;AFR225;Comp Cams HR "Cheater" cam (.546,236/240,109);Vic Jr intake;Holley 750HP vac sec;MSD ign./dist;Holley black fp;AJE K-mem;Kooks 1-7/8" stainless headers;Dr Gas 3.5"-2.5" x-pipe;Magnaflow 2.5" muffs/pipes;Spec 10.5" alum flywheel/Stage 3 clutch;Tremec T56 Viper 6-spd; alum driveshaft; 9" rear;4:11 gears;Auburn Pro diff;H&R Super Sport springs;Koni red struts/shocks;Steeda dbl adj upper/lower arms. 466 rwhp@5750 rpm,464rwtq@4750 rpm on a Mustang dyno,over 400 rwtq from 2400-6100 rpms.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfsu
Just replace the strips. Be careful removing the lenses though or you can easily crack them. No real trick to it that I'm aware of. Just go slowly and carefully. It would probably help if you brought them inside and let them thoroughly warm up before you try it. The warmer the better I would think, though, of course, you don't want to warp them.

Cool deal
Now were are the clips located exactly? Are they at the far edge (going towards the license plate) or are they all along the housing?
I wanna know so I dont break anything Also are the clips on the lens with the louvers or are they on the actual housing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement