Mystichrome Cobra Paint - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (17)

Mystichrome Cobra Paint

Looking for where to buy this paint and around about price. Something you don't see alot, people around here are and I'm do for a nice paint job.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2004, 11:46 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

If it's anything like the original Mystic Cobra back in 95 (?) Ford owns that copyright for the paint for 10 years.. during that 10 years the only vehicle that the paint can be used on is to repaint/touch up a MYSTIC Cobra.. you have to have a VIN# verified and the paint sent to the body shop you are getting your car painted at.. They will send you only enough paint to do the repair.. and all paint not used must be sent back to Ford.

so if you want true, Ford, Mystichrome you MIGHT have to wait 10 years till it becomes available to the public.

If you want color change.. check out BASF Extreme line or the Chromulsion line (don't know who makes that)... BASF Extreme Rainbow I know was used on the Extreme Saleen and is a nice color(s)... (the Saleen extreme rainbow paint option only cost $11,500) the car is painted black and the Extreme rainbow is painted over the top of the black.. my ex girlfriends dad paints cars and said he could paint my car with Extreme rainbow for around $3000 (which was just the cost of materials.)

Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson

Last edited by MYLITTLEHO; 08-27-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:28 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

You can buy the Mystichrome from your local auto paint supplyer. My brother just repainted his 97 Cobra in Mystichrome. All he did was get the paint code off a mystichrome 04 cobra, then went to the paint supply shop & ordered a gallon. The paint code is G6 from the 04 model year. The stuff is as much as 2500 bucks a gallon! It'll take atleast that to paint the entire car so it definatly aint' a cheap mod. The mystic from the 96 cobras is made by BASF. The mystichrome from the 04's is made by dupont. I don't know of any restrictions on the mystichrome paint, mystic is very restricted like mylittleho said.

Blackout
Old 08-27-2004, 11:58 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

the original mysticrome has actual money ink in it, this is why it is regulated. you can get your hands on some if you have the know how. as far as needing a gallon to paint a car, you need the base color, IE: black, purple, silver, is the first coat, maybe a "sprayable" gallon, once you have coverage with this then you just need at most 1 quart of mystic to paint a car, this will give you a sprayable 2 1/2 quarts of paint. you can reduce it upto 200% but it will be very transparent, usual reduction is 100-125% only.
'89 hatch, 65mmTB, cold air intake, 73mmMA, explorer intake, msd ignition,#24,155lph,K&N 9"cone,underdrive pullies,mac headers, mac cold air, custom full exhaust,rossler racing AOD, FMS roller rockers,custom paint w/custom painted pony wheels(by me),

Alpine CDA9813 head unit, one Alpine amp (300w) running 2 kenwoods in dash and two 6 1/2 kenwoods in the doors, Alpine amp MRV F-450 (900w) split into 3 channel running two kenwood 6x9 in the rear and a 10" fosgate audiofile in a bandpass box in rear. soon to be 12" Alpine in bandpass box.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:55 PM   #5

$$$$$$$$$$$

1998 Camaro SS M6 #256 of 2875
381rwhp/355rwtq SAE - Graph

Mods: TSP MS3 Cam 237/242, .603"/.609", 113 LSA, PRC Dual Valve Springs, Hardened 7.4 Pushrods, Rollmaster Double-Roller Adjustable Timing Set, TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump, PaceSetter LT Race Headers, !EGR, !AIR, !cats, !CAGS, NGK TR55 Plugs, MSD 8.5mm Plug Wires, Lid, K&N, SLP Smooth Bellows, TSP True Duals w/ Bullets, UMI SFCs
All tuning done by Jeff Creech @ Carolina Auto Masters
Old 09-03-2004, 12:49 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustysteed89
the original mysticrome has actual money ink in it, this is why it is regulated.
I think it is the other way around... BASF developed the paint and the Govt was interested in it's use as a holographic watermark ink to deter counterfitting
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Old 10-31-2004, 05:02 PM   #7

I had this paint for sale a while back and sold tons of it. I may be able to get more mass quanities in the near future and sell anywhere from 4oz bottles to pints/quarts/gallons. I have alot of experitnce w/painting with this kind of paint. It is very easy to use. You must have a complete basecoat covered before you spray this on, most people use black basecoat, then spray mystichrome, then clear. The mystichrome is a pretty transparent paint/pearl, so that's why it must be fully basecoated first to cover any/all primer and sanding marks, but surprizingly when the mysithcrome is sprayed it covers pretty well and quick. It is just as easy or easier than doing a pearl white job, just use black instead of white and mystichrome instead of the pearl white. Depending on the size of the car and if you are painting underhood/undertrunk/jambs/etc it will depend how much paint you need. I did a '68 vette and I think I used 2.5 pints, didn't do any underhood, etc, just the outside, t-tops(small) and door jambs. Most people typically buy 4 pints (2 quarts) and usually have plenty left over, better than not having enough. It should be reduced 1:1 so 1 pint will actually be 2 sprayable pints, I typically reduce it just a little more than 1:1 though. To make life easier and cost down alot of people just spray the underhood/undertrunk area with a semi-gloss or a flat black. It goes well with the mystichrome and makes life alot easier, spray paint does the job. The '96 was made by BASF and as stated above Ford will NOT release this paint unless it's for repairing a real '96 Cobra, but in '04 Ford and Dupont Chromalusion decided to let the formula and paint out to the public so anyone could buy it and also let the formula and cross reference out the other paint manufactures such as sherwin williams and ppg so they are allowed to duplicate the exact color of the '04. It is just a myth about it being made with actual money ink in it, it hase a similar pigment that gives some currency the flip flop color to it and is NOT the reason why ford/basf didn't releast it to the public. There are hundreds of other flip/flop chameleon paints sold the public.
email me at cobrasnake302@msn.com if interested, it may take some time to get though. It is $225/pint and normally costs $325+/pint anywhere else and I could knock off a few bucks if several pints are bought.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:01 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (1)

The paint you can get is BASF extreme paint. They make it in 12 different colors. They have a dead on match for the mystichrome. I have painted two of their colors, Tahitian Sunset on my '94 cobra and Purple haze on my '66 Chevelle. It is a three stage paint. You spray a base and then spray the "extreme" paint. I paid $400 a quart for the paint, plus 200-300 a gallon for the base. It took me one gallon of base and three quarts of the extreme. That included the door jams, engine compartment and trunk. I can send or post pictures if you would like.
94 Cobra - DSS 306, Vortech S-trim 14#, AFM PMS, Edelbrock 6037 stage 2 heads, extrude honed/ported Cobra intake, 75mm bullet MAF, 70mm tb, Anderson B-41 cam, Mac 1 3/4 LT headers with 3" back, many, many more bolt-ons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement