Fox convertible quarter window fix? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Fox convertible quarter window fix?

Does anyone have a how to instruction on how to fix the sloppy window in a convertible. I bought a kit from LMR with billett bottoms and plastic guide bushings. I'm stuck on getting the big black piece out that the motor is connected to. Thanks everyone
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (12)

why are you taking that out?

there's a video on youtube under their header.

as for the window glass, I found it best to raise the window all the way up and with a pair of long needle nose pliers go in through the rubber front gasket and pull the retainer pin from the motor arm out. then lower window glass down and pop it forward from the motor arm.

After you unbolt the top inner bracket on the big metal bracket (should be two felt lines pieces) then you can pull out the window glass guide pole and then pull the window glass up/out so you can replace the bushings and replace the lower piece with the billet piece.

I've got the service manual for the tops/windows on these things...if you are at the point where that big huge bracket is loose/wobbly then you need to stop now and put it back in using the scored marks from all the bolts. that bracket and the one in front of it control the movement/sealing on the convertible top and you can get it all kinds of crazy out of alignment...

also, if you've been prying on that big metal bracket at all you have probably warped it at the top at least. when you get it all back together, if the two felt lined pieces arent in contact with the window guide pole (the rubber cap on top of it should contact those...and stay in contact), then you'll have to bend it back down into shape. this keeps the guide pole from wobbling around under the action of the motor going up/down and keeps your adjustments in place.

ask me how I know that one? lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

Ok thanks. I did not know it wasn't supposed to come out Thanks.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #4

ok the seatbelt bolts are very hard to get to I can't get to them also the lower black plastic square that the ride goes through seems impossible to get to. SMH also I could not find a video if someone could provide a link that would be awesome
Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

the lower black plastic square? can you describe it better for me?

as for the seat belts, they are held in place with large torque bits, cant remember the size though. $8 for a set from harbor freight. you may have to detach the outer convertible brace though. I have mine out but you have to drill out the very bottom rivets that hold the brace to the floor frame. make sure the main black bracket is still bolted in place as well as the rear black bracket while this bracket is out or you'll mess up the top alignment when you cycle the top up/down.

looks like they may have taken it down for whatever reason as I cant find the video either. There are pictures on their website on the page for the kit from the weblog of the guy that developed the billet guides. There "was" a photo tutorial with those pics but I'm on an old browser at work so I cant see all of their website.

this might help though.
Mump 1205 000 Fox Body Convertible Window Repair Photo 19
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #6

The square thing I was refering to is the rod bushing. Upper and lower. I don't understand how you can get in there to do all this . The black metal bracket covers everything. Yes im using those photos and instructions but they are not complete enough.
I have a torx set. Its just getting leverage in that tiny spot seems next to impossible .
Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #7

after you follow the link above and pull the retainer clip holding the window glass to the motor arm off (be careful, its tiny and will get lost if you arent careful) then you do the steps with pic 1205 008 and 1205 012.

After this, you can just grab the window glass as it should be loose and just sitting in there. pull it up and put its square section (I think thats what you're referring to?)

towards the back of the opening with the top down and you should be able to wiggle it up/out. it is a pain in the butt. The main black bracket you can undo the couple of upper bolts so you can pry it back a bit but dont do the lower ones so its loose or you'll loose alignment.

also, dont pull the plates out as seen in the pic above. both the upper and lower one adjust the pitch of the window glass itself in the track and you dont want to get into that if you dont have to.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #8

Awesome all done both sides. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement