boss inc hoods - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

boss inc hoods

I ran across one bad thread on the company from awhile back where the hood separated.

any recent info on these guys?

i want a 3.25" cowl for my fox.

Also should i use hood pins or not?
was thinking about going with the aerocatch ones.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

I've got one on my 83 notch and absolutely love it. Its super light, and the fit and finish are fantastic.
847 356 6771 Lake Villa, IL 60046
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (16)

The best fitting hoods on the market today! Boss Pro Cowl 3.25 Car has been 130+mph I have no issues with the hood at all clears the 408 with easy...

Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (10)

i am painting one for a buddy of mine today..{bottoms painted already)

i personally called boss inc. and spoke with Todd and let him know how nice the fit and finish of their product is.even the underside is smooth,unlike many others....i have another brand on my car and it is nowhere near as nice as the boss hood..and it weighs a considerable amount less than mine..

PROPS to BOSS INC.....
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (19)

Looks really good!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (76)

Garage
i also run a Boss Inc hood on my 04... i love it. Very light, fit/finish is great, prep was minimal. I love the fully finished smooth underside... most hoods arent and still dont weigh less.

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (156)

How is the backside towards the windshield.

Open or holes or?

a pic would help.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #8

Like my Boss Inc way better than my Cervini's

Featured April 2005 5.0 Mustang Magazine
Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (76)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmustang91 View Post
How is the backside towards the windshield.

Open or holes or?

a pic would help.
its open... no screens or vents.

i dont have any pics looking through the windshield though

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (156)

there open huh, the pics above looks like it is completely closed?

anyone have any more info on this?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmustang91 View Post
there open huh, the pics above looks like it is completely closed?

anyone have any more info on this?
This is the most open hood I've ever seen, you cannot believe the awesome cooling affect it has on the engine compartment. Todd designed this with Steeda I believe, give him a call he'd be glad to tell ya about the r&d they have in this hood.
Featured April 2005 5.0 Mustang Magazine
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (18)

Everything Ive read about them has been positive. Plus the underside looks awesome.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (168)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctony View Post
I ran across one bad thread on the company from awhile back where the hood separated.

any recent info on these guys?

i want a 3.25" cowl for my fox.

Also should i use hood pins or not?
was thinking about going with the aerocatch ones.
If you read that thread again, the dude admitted it separated AFTER the hood flew up and the windshield and hood were smashed to hell. I think he was in denial that his hood was not adjusted properly. I don't recall if he had the stock safety latch installed... or if it will even hold at that speed.

I have the Boss Cyberstallion hood. THis is my first aftermarket hood, but nonetheless I was really impressed with the fit and quality. It will need like a 1/4" trimmed around the headlight area. THe gaps and length and everything else is just right.

To others with the Boss hood... are you able to get yours setup so there is no vibration at high speed? THe Boss does not have that stiff spring like the stocker does which keeps tension on it. On mine, with the bumper stops adjusted any higher, the latch will not catch. I'm not sure what else to do besides add hood pins to keep just a hair of tension on it???
Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
If you read that thread again, the dude admitted it separated AFTER the hood flew up and the windshield and hood were smashed to hell. I think he was in denial that his hood was not adjusted properly. I don't recall if he had the stock safety latch installed... or if it will even hold at that speed.

I have the Boss Cyberstallion hood. THis is my first aftermarket hood, but nonetheless I was really impressed with the fit and quality. It will need like a 1/4" trimmed around the headlight area. THe gaps and length and everything else is just right.

To others with the Boss hood... are you able to get yours setup so there is no vibration at high speed? THe Boss does not have that stiff spring like the stocker does which keeps tension on it. On mine, with the bumper stops adjusted any higher, the latch will not catch. I'm not sure what else to do besides add hood pins to keep just a hair of tension on it???
Can you post pix of your hood. Thats the one I'm looking at getting.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (2)

i have the boss cobra R 2000 on my 95sn and its great and the best part in buying from boss! THEY SHIPPED IT FOR FREE!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (13)

where yall get these from? do you order directly from the company.

11 Toyota 5.7 Tundra 4x4
13 Kawasaki ZX14R
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #17

I bought mine on ebay and got free Greyhound shipping. Picked it up at the local Greyhound bus station.

It's currently unpainted. It comes black. In the pics it's like a 1/4 high near the right headlight. I figured out it was hitting the rolled edge on the core support. A few massage whacks and now it sits perfect.

Click to enlarge.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #18

Trader Feedback: (7)

^^^^^That hood looks mean in that straight on shot. Very nice.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
I bought mine on ebay and got free Greyhound shipping. Picked it up at the local Greyhound bus station.

It's currently unpainted. It comes black. In the pics it's like a 1/4 high near the right headlight. I figured out it was hitting the rolled edge on the core support. A few massage whacks and now it sits perfect.
Cool, thanks for the pix. Called them up yesterday just to make sure I was going to have clearance for my 03_04 cobra swap. They said no problem and when it's done to send them pix.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (3)

I wish they made them for '79-'82 cars.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-CUCUY View Post
Cool, thanks for the pix. Called them up yesterday just to make sure I was going to have clearance for my 03_04 cobra swap. They said no problem and when it's done to send them pix.
Yeah it does have a steeper rise than your standard cowl. It makes it look much more like a nose. I never liked the Cervini's Mach or Stormin Norman or whatever. Theirs look like a flat sheet of plywood on the hood lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #22

Garage
Thumbs down

Well consider this #2 bad review. I was cruising about 70mph on the highway and the top part of my hood completely delaminated from the bottom. I was lucky and the hood went straight up, no damage to the rest of my car. I tried contacting Boss Inc multiple times and they have never responded. I thought the fitment was good after I adjusted almost everything. When I bought my VIS hood, I ended up putting everything back into the stock positions. I've read some have had good luck with these hoods, but I'm not one. As far as I'm concerned their customer support sucks just as much as their hoods.

Attached is a link to my post on Ford Mustang Forums showing my hood post launch.

Boos Inc Hoods SUCK - Ford Mustang Forums
Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #23

Trader Feedback: (45)

And there is always one...
Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked03GT View Post
And there is always one...
If you bother reading, I'm actually the second. With the exact same problem. Nowhere in the thread do I say "don't buy their hoods". But I do believe in educating people about what to expect. I ended up with VIS hood and all I can say is night and day difference but it was double the cost. You get what you pay for.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #25

Look at it from my point of view...You have a post count of 2, and the 1st post was bashing a company that has excellant feedback. And in your first post you bashed this company and immediatly recommended a competetor...

Call me crazy if I dont exactly believe you, for all we know you own or work for the VIS company and just tyring to build a bad rep for a otherwise good company making great hoods.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #26

Good call /\
Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #27

Garage
Oh well you caught me, I'm advertising for someone else. And I fabricated the thread in AllFodMustangs.com over a year ago in a ploy to link to this over a year later. It's all part of my grand conspiracy. Give me a break. I was doing a search on them and saw this thread. But if your opinion is the only one that matters then by all means, let me know and I'll stay over on AllFodMustangs and leave you to your forum. Damn you really got your feeling hurt over me not agreeing with you. Well my feelings got hurt when my $350 went flying end over end down the highway.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #28

Wow...Thats really helping your case.

In the other thread you dug up from 2010, the OP had the same problem but Boss covered all charges associated with fixing his car and replacing his hood. Even though they HIGHLY recommend running hood pins with the hood, and anybody with any racing/modifying experience will tell you hood pins are the best $30 insurance policy you can ever buy. But yet, even though the OP did not follow the instruction of Boss Inc, they still admitted their fault and replaced it all....

So im curious as to why they would pick a single person like yourself to not make things right like they did before...

In my nearly 15 years int he racing world, when a single person has a grip about a company and how they got screwed the person doing the griping is usually not telling the whole truth. Not saying your lieing, that would be an attack at you and im not doing that. Im just saying their is probably more to the story other than just a hood delaminating and going for a flight.

Or could it be, possibly Boss Inc has an internet connection and has seen you bashing and just felt it was in their best interest to not help you out cause your probably not going to be satisfied even with a new replacement hood.

You will catch more fly's with honey than vinegar my friend, having a part failure is not uncommon. mistakes happen...But maybe you should give them a little time to handle the situation before slamming their otherwise perfect rep on all the big name forums.

BTW, I do not own a Boss Inc hood nor have I ever owned one. I dont work for any hood companies or benefit from any Mustang parts supplier. Im just being the devils advocate here...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #29

Garage
If you read the original posters first thread on here, it is identical to the issue I had. So saying perfect record is not entirely accurate. And if you read my thread that I linked to, it tells it all. It's kinda hard to get into an argument with a company when they will not return an email or a phone call. The majority of my gripe with this company was the lack of any communication at all. I bought my hood after talking to a Boss Inc rep directly at the Mustang 45th. After I had it on less than 6 months it started to delaminate. I tried to contact them, and nothing. So you can't honestly believe I'm going to sing thier praises. Read my original post and you get the whole story. And I posted it roughly a week after my hood exploded and sent multiple emails and attempted phone calls. So I'm sorry, but that's how it happened. I wish I could find the emails, I didn't start out bashing them. But when you get nothing in return response, you start to loose all respect for a company.

Boos Inc Hoods SUCK - Ford Mustang ForumsY

Last edited by Yomadmike; 04-15-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #30

I read your thread...But I also know Boss Inc's rep is very high on the positive side.

Im not personally attacking you, im literally jsut being the devils advocate. Well thought out threads will sometimes gain you a result as a company like this does not want stuff like this floating around and so easy to find. Now when you search for their product or feedback this is coming up on the top 10 google searches.

But if you read the other thread from 2010, Boss Inc replaced that guys hood and repaired the damage to his car as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked03GT View Post
But if you read the other thread from 2010, Boss Inc replaced that guys hood and repaired the damage to his car as well.
I understand that, and had they done the same for me, I would be singing thier praises too. Before the failure I actually took pictures and posted on thier Facebook page of how the hood looked. I was pretty happy right up until it decided to depart from my car. And had they replaced it or offered to fix it, I would still be happy. But in my situation no one ever made any attempt to contact me after I tried to get in touch with them.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #32

I have been a lifelong friend with Todd At Boss... Over 26yrs now.... I have worked shows and help him sell these high quality hoods for over 15yrs. I have never heard of or seen a hood seperate like the one mentioned...

I spoke with Todd about this and read him your post on AFM... Todd was calm and replied that he has never seen or heard of an email coming to him with such material described.... (what email address did yo send this to Yomadmike?)

The Todd I know will go out of his way to help customers out and make things right for them... However, Todd will investigate the concernes and will man up if it is his or his products fault. (Todd will never replace anything if the its the owners fault, rightfully so)

I can say without a doubt that the hoods made at Boss are the best quality hoods on the market...I have seen them all) Todd has sold tens of thousads of hoods world wide the past 15 years and to only hear of two seperate incidents where the hood fell apart(extremely RARE) is pretty darn good compared to the other products I see and hear about.

Believe me, if there is a problem with Todds products, he want's to know all about it. he is the most anal person I know when it comes to developing and getting a product ready for the market...... I know when it is ready to advertise and to sell to the public, it is done RIGHT...... otherwise I know STEEDA wouldnt have him developing and manufacturing their hoods. (Even won Awards at SEMA with his Steeda Hood)

Mike, I recommend you try and call Todd directly and give him your story on your hood! He would be more than welcomed to listen to why his hood did not hold up to the quality it was built.

Thank you!
Brent Clay

Last edited by Brent S Clay; 04-16-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #33

Trader Feedback: (23)

me three my hood flew up and seperated
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97 View Post
me three my hood flew up and seperated
Im sure it did..... you should be asking yourself "why did your hood unlatch"?

could it be the latch and hood was installed wrong???

That would not be a problem of the hood especially since the hood latch plates are reinforced with aircraft grade aluminum..... I have never heard of the latch plate letting go..... maybe the latch itself was bad? this is a known problems with the factory latch..... (Spring get week after years of use)
This is why I use hood pins as well... I have never had a problem with a hood flying off!

Brent
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #35

This thread is quickly becoming AMAZING!

lol @ tyler...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement