Absolutely screwed, and Dont buy from Pivco - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (9)

Absolutely screwed, and Dont buy from Pivco

So, ive been working on painting my car for a while now and ordered a Kirker Mandarin Pearl orange kit from Pivco. It requires a white/silver basecoat. Since im short on room in the garage, ive been painting in stages and if I had a subtle color difference, so be it, I felt it was better then spending $4k plus for a shop to do it, plus I wanted the satisfaction of doing it myself, so no flame comments on that, I understand the correct way to do things, just dont have the means to. Well I ran out of paint part way through so I ordered more, and didnt realize until I was finished with the outside of the hood, hatch, rear bumper and spoiler, that the batch numbers were not right even though I gave them the batch numbers when I ordered, there was an inconstancy and it fell on the manufacture.

When I called Pivco, they were so rude and un-willing to help in anyway other then to sell me more paint, I was very calm and didnt raise my voice or swear, I just didnt have the energy to be rude myself, you attract more bees with honey then with vinegar. After I asked him this is how you treat someone who just spent over $500, he hung up on me. I called Kirker, and they were absolutely awesome, didnt tell me what I wanted to hear, is that I basically have to start all over again, but they are sending me free of charge an entire new kit, with more then enough to re-do everything.

Moral of the story, buy more then you need at one time, Dont buy from Pivco unless you dont care about customer service and Kirker is a great company that stands behind their product and goes above and beyond, I will clear over one of their stickers on the underside of my hood when all is said and done.

And now you will see the color difference

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (10)

I understand that you don't have the means to do this and I'm sorry you got bad customer service but:

Theres no way I would attempt to spray a multi-stage/color finish with the car apart. It will never match unless you are real good or real lucky.

You really need to spray the underside of the hood, engine compartment, ect, ect, ect, as you have already have done.
"Jamb it out" and reassemble the car. Then spray the exterior completely assembled with the base colors and clear. Of course you can leave the wing ,mirrors, ect off ,but all body parts need to be together while spraying the colors.

If you proceed completely unassembled like you are, more than likely nothing will match up when its put together.

good Luck and cool color
'88 GT vert 480rwhp/430rwtq. Systemax intake ,Edelbrock Performer RPMs,TFStage 1, Novi@12psi, UPR Powerpipe, AFM Mr.Freeze, 60's, ProM 80, Aeromotive 340lph, FRPP headers, UPR Offroad X, Dynomax exhaust, aluminum driveshaft, AFM Competition Stage 4 clutch,3.73's

Last edited by Onefine88; 10-12-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

Man - that blows!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pethel/SSC View Post
I understand that you don't have the means to do this and I'm sorry you got bad customer service but:

Theres no way I would attempt to spray a multi-stage/color finish with the car apart. It will never match unless you are real good or real lucky.

You really need to spray the underside of the hood, engine compartment, ect, ect, ect, as you have already have done.
"Jamb it out" and reassemble the car. Then spray the exterior completely assembled with the base colors and clear. Of course you can leave the wing ,mirrors, ect off ,but all body parts need to be together while spraying the colors.

If you proceed completely unassembled like you are, more than likely nothing will match up when its put together.

good Luck and cool color
Yeah, like I said, I was willing to accept a slight shade difference to save myself the $4k on a shop doing it, I just didnt see a way to have the car assembled and do all the exterior parts at the same time as there are just so many pieces that parts of the body would be covered up. In hine-site, I should have jammed where the ground effects attach to the body and not worried about tape lines in the hatch area and fenders to hood corners.

I think thats what im going to do since I have to re-spray the skirts again, I will mock them up on the fenders and quarter panel, tape off, and shoot the underside where you wont see anyway unless they are off. Then put them on and shoot it together.

First time shooting a translucent color, its alot less forgiving then a solid white or black.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
P63

Trader Feedback: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nasy03Snake View Post
Well I ran out of paint part way through so I ordered more, and didnt realize until I was finished with the outside of the hood, hatch, rear bumper and spoiler, that the batch numbers were not right even though I gave them the batch numbers when I ordered, there was an inconstancy and it fell on the manufacture.
Help me to understand this: In your case, what is a "batch code"?

Usually a batch code identifies a production run. In the case of paint, perhaps 100 gallons was mixed and put into 100 cans.

With paint, usually they record the pigment content, so that they can mix matching paint whenever they need it.

BTW, Foxes look best in black.

Seriously, good luck with your project.

Copyright 2013.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (29)

What color Orange is that? Looks good.
1993 Coyote swap SSP Notch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement