FoxBody window replacement - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (4)

FoxBody window replacement

As the title say's, I need to replace my passenger side window in my '88 Coupe. I've searched and didn't find much.

Is their any tricks or anything like that? Anyone have a DIY write-up? I'd appreciate any help.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (17)

with the inner door panel off you will see the track assembly that the window rides up and down on. raise the window nearly all the way up and at the bottom of the window you will see 2 white plastic bushings with rivets in the middle of them. these 2 bushings hold the window to the assembly (holes are predrilled in the glass). carefully drill out the center of the rivets until the window comes free of them, make sure you have another pair of hands to hold the glass. once both rivets are drilled, lower the track assembly all the way down to give yourself a little more room. turn the glass inside the door, drop the rearward side down into the door and pull the glass up carefully. you usually need to also remove the 2 felt guide pads (at the top of the door) and remove the beltline wetherstripping to have more room. looks a little intimidating but it is a very easy job, once you do it you can replace a window in several minutes. you need to get new bushings and rivets for the install, late model restoration sells the kit, maybe a local auto place does too?? good luck
NMRA Factory Stock #3 - Coyote Stock #3300
Thanks to: Ed Curtis @ FTI; Larry's Auto Machine; DeCordre Automotive and Performance
10.79@124
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalref View Post
with the inner door panel off you will see the track assembly that the window rides up and down on. raise the window nearly all the way up and at the bottom of the window you will see 2 white plastic bushings with rivets in the middle of them. these 2 bushings hold the window to the assembly (holes are predrilled in the glass). carefully drill out the center of the rivets until the window comes free of them, make sure you have another pair of hands to hold the glass. once both rivets are drilled, lower the track assembly all the way down to give yourself a little more room. turn the glass inside the door, drop the rearward side down into the door and pull the glass up carefully. you usually need to also remove the 2 felt guide pads (at the top of the door) and remove the beltline wetherstripping to have more room. looks a little intimidating but it is a very easy job, once you do it you can replace a window in several minutes. you need to get new bushings and rivets for the install, late model restoration sells the kit, maybe a local auto place does too?? good luck
I'm pretty sure my new window has them already...

I was talking to a buddy on the phone and he said it's a bitch job, but just taking your time it should be doable.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (3)

All you have to do is take out the window channel weatherstripping, and those felt pads up top. There is a silver pole that the glass rides on, take out the 7/16 nuts and leave it in the lower part of the door. You have to bend the metal upper inner door out slightly and the whole assembly thats attached to the glass will go in. You dont have to take those white things off as the above post says. It will go in in one piece, done it numerous times. Drop the glass in front or rear first, its an easy job...Regulator just slides into the track on the glass attachment...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (25)

Never mind - didn't read carefully.

Last edited by qtrracer; 10-17-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (9)

Yup, I just managed to do it with only having to take the lower inner window seal out. The rest were pretty tight and dry rotted so I didn't want to mess with them. I actually left the long metal rod with the window. Just bend the inside metal of the door inwards to make enough room for it to fit and it will drop in. You'll have to lower the front part of the window in first, then lower in the back. You'll want to roll the window crank down all the way before you start. You'll be able to slide the window crank arm into the new window bracket assembly with the window lowered all the way down into the door.
'67 Comet Caliente Hardtop - in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement