1993 LX - Cobra Conversion Project... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

1993 LX - Cobra Conversion Project...

Hi Corralers,

I'm in the process of converting my 93 LX 2.3 to a Cobra clone. I figured since my project will be body work intensive, the best place to post up the project would be in the body shop forum.

So, without further ado, here is the gem...

Early February. Giving the new ride a first look. Not too impressive. Needs a windshield, and the driver's window isn't opened, it is missing!

All 105 HP out of the 18 year old 2.3L Four Cylinder.

Left front fender apron damage. Looks like a minor frame pull is in this car's future. No biggie.

Left front fender area. Probably going to need both fenders. New lights are ready to installation in the future.

Door is pretty wavy. Probably going to need another one of those, too.

More damage! Going to need a little pull on this quarter panel. New gas door is going to be needed.

This hatch is wasted. Fiberglass will replace this rust prone hatch.

New tail lenses on the way.

Car has a lot of little spots to repair, like this one.

I usually make it to the toilet before I take a dump. I guess the people who owned this car weren't quite as good

Interior... needs a "good cleanup" to say the least. New carpet, seat disassembly and cleaning, and a new headliner should bring it back nicely.

Door hinge kit on the way. Can't close the door without lifting it up, as it hangs down about a full inch when opened.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #2

More...

That's the driver's seat! Looks pretty different without the foam cushions and cloth seat covers! This one is getting a couple of new welds to fix the "gangsta lean" these cars are known for.

New fuel tank, housing a new fuel pump. Previous owner damaged the last tank so that it was leaking.

My repainted differential cover. Had to take remove the axles to replace the rear axle bearings.

New parking brake cables. They were frozen, and had the rear brakes locked on. Car has brand new front rotors, calipers, pads, front wheel bearings, rear wheel bearings, rear shoes, rear drums, and brake hoses all the way around. She'll stop

Tail lenses off of an 86 GT. They need a little refinishing, but they are on right now so I can get the inspection all squared away.

Brand new exhaust on the way. Could probably save some of this, but... nah.

Interior is looking a little different these days!

Passenger rear floor pan is... uh... rusty! Cutting and welding on the way!

The old exhaust manifold. Ditching the heavy, no flow POS for a Ranger tubular piece.

Ranger header looks nice with the new paint. Quite a bit lighter than the stock junk.

New rack and pinion. The old one was leaking, so it was time to upgrade to a sport rack. 2.5 turns lock to lock, down from 3.

Another shot of the interior. Still a long way to go here!

Okay, what the hell did these people do in this car? You know what, I don't want to know. Seats are disgusting.

The fearless. Me on the left, my Dad on the right.

Washing out the seat covers after they are removed. Yum!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

I did a 93 clone myself.After 5 1/2 years its almost complete.Take your time and do it your way and enjoy it you only get one time to do it. Looks like you and your old man are enjoying yourselves. Keep the pics coming man and let me know if you need anything!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

Thanks

I only get to work on it on Sundays, but hopefully I will have some new pics after each time I work on it. I should have taken more from the jump, but you get going on stuff and the camera doesn't get picked up
Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

Yeah i know what ya mean, I took pics of mine when i started out then when it was completely gutted.Then somewhere in between i lost my camera.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (38)

so you're leaving the 4 cly in it?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #7

btw i have a brand new floorpan here for sale,tired of looking at it 100 shipped and its yours,just shoot me a pm if int.

Last edited by 2stangcoupes; 06-12-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #8

Yeah, I already have a GT and this is just going to be a little daily driver for me, so the 4-banger stays for now. Maybe a turbo swap in the future, we will see...

I'll let you know about the floor pan, I am not quite to that point yet. I need to sandblast and see what is left over. I may end up needing both sides after that part is done

It's been slow going somewhat, but I'll have a few more pictures soon. Mostly it has been interior and exhaust stuff.

BTW 2stangcoupes, I have been following your project, and it kicks ass for sure
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #9

thanks man, hopefully i'll be posting some more pics in the next few days.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (29)

Garage
looking good so far,
86 coupe with 4 banger 96 GT vert 86 GT
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #11

Sorry, no body work stuff yet But, here are a couple more pics from what we have been working on!

Painting the seat bottom

Driver's seat back welded and ready for paint

Seat foam ready to be cleaned

Driver's seat (cleaned) compared to passenger seat

Junk on the trunk

Interior still looking rough

New exhaust finally installed...

New Battery

Ranger header installed!

New striker bushings installed!

Back seat cleaned and reupholstered

Torn seat foam reinforced with leather backing

Driver's seat tracks repainted

Passenger seat tracks in original condition

The blend door wouldn't operate properly because the cable was frozen. Working on lubricating and freeing up the cable. Might just have to replace it.

Cowl Vent panel is damaged. Going to have to get a new one it looks like.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #12

Any updates on your build?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #13

Yes, I am still working on it. The car has recently been to the body shop getting the front frame rail straightened, and I literally just got it home tonight. I am hoping to have some more progress pics loaded up by Sunday night!

My next step is to begin sandblasting on the rusted area's of the body. Thanks for the interest!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #14

Well, I had more pics, but I messed up and didn't get them on the flash drive like I thought, so I'll snag those next time.

For now, though, here is my latest progress...

Bags of stuff from the interior and various assorted parts.

Passenger seat all cleaned up and ready to go...

Driver's side rear floor plan sandblasted and primed.

Ready to cut out the rear floor and install a new one. It still looks awful right now.

Sandblasted rusty spots all over the car, and primed, such as this tank strap holder.

More sand blasted and primed areas on the subframe.

Front floor pan blasted and primed...

The car as it sits right now. The frame work is done. The new fender wouldn't even bolt up before, it is on (loosely) right now.

Some sand blasted areas prior to priming...

Me sandblasting...

That's all for now, hope to get the passenger side floor taken care of next weekend, and then the real body work can begin!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #15

What type of sandblasting gun are you using? Looks to be siphon feed, but just curious. Also, how did it work?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #16

It is a siphon feed gun. It works okay, but my compressor is only barely adequate for the job. It also makes a HUGE mess, but it is the best way to remove rust so far. I did not hit every single little spot because it is beyond the scope of what I'm doing for this project (it is a daily driver, after all) but I wanted to make sure the majority of the surface rust and any structural areas were sound.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #17

Okay, update time!

First, a few from the interior from a few weeks ago, then what we have accomplished this weekend.

Sunvisors in need of "restoration." They retail for like $170 at LRS with the mirrors, so I am going to see if I can't fix these up.

The headliner is wasted. I have actually stripped it all down to the cardboard, but I am waiting until I know if I can fix the sunvisors before I go get new fabric for the headliner.

The roof with no headliner...

Some of the horribly rotted, disgusting old headliner insulation that rained down on my head when I removed the headliner. I think mice actually got up there based on the amount of sunflower seeds.

Replacement floor pan from Rock Auto...

Air Chisel beginning to knock out the spot welds on the old pan...

more removal in the works...

And the old POS is finally gone...

Some leftover...

Yabba dabba do! It doesn't stay this way for long...

Last edited by 91TwighlightGT; 08-01-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #18

New floor being welded in... I wish I had taken a few more pics as we went along, because there is a lot of trimming and fitting that took place. Too bad it was hot as hell and took a long time, I was just trying to get it done at the end. Still not 100 percent there, but really close to finished.

Another pic of the floor...

Some cleanup work to do...

And the tool that makes this all possible...

Coming soon...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #19

Trader Feedback: (12)

Good project. I had a 93 cobra clone that once was a 4 banger, DID A COMPLETE V8 SWAP K-member,rearend, cobra steering wheel cobra brake system black interior everything

Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #20

Nice car!

What color green is that? Did you use OEM cobra pieces or aftermarket? I have no plans to go OEM because of cost and the time it would take to track down a full kit, but I am wondering if you went aftermarket which brand you used and how you liked the fitment?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #21

Trader Feedback: (11)

Garage
Going to take some time, alot of cancer on that stang but never the less looking good so far! Can't wait to see the end results !
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #22

Cool project you got there!, Any updates?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #23

No updates right now, but not because I don't want to! My wife is due with our first child on October 10th, so I've been busy building baby furniture, painting the baby room, etc.

Hope to get back to work on the Mustang this weekend if all goes well!

Thanks for the interest in the project!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #24
jpe

Trader Feedback: (52)

what did you use and how did you clean those seats? they look great.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpe View Post
what did you use and how did you clean those seats? they look great.
I completely disassembled them, removing all the hog rings and seat covers from the foam, then took the foam off of the seat frame. There is a good write up here...

1986 Mustang GT Build and How To's

Once the seat is disassembled, I wanted to deep clean the seat foam. I filled the bathtub with water, lemon juice, baking soda, and dawn dish soap, and squeezed the seat foam out under the water to try and kill any bacteria and smells that might have been in the foam.

After that, I put the foam out in the sun to dry, squeezing out as much water as I could every hour or two. It takes a couple of days in the hot sun to completely dry, so you want to do it during a couple of hot days in the summer.

The fabric was prewashed in the sink (see picture above) and any stained areas scrubbed with a stain remover for clothes. Once that was done, they were washed in the washing machine and allowed to hang dry.

After that, I just reassembled them. Hog rings suck, that is the worst part about the whole thing.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #26

No work on the car itself, but here are some shots from last week when we put up the paint booth.

The booth is already constructed from our previous project of painting my 91 GT. For space saving, it folds to the wall when not in use.

A picture of where the hook holds the paint booth to the wall.

And another of the same.

Top picture of the booth before it is opened.

Once the booth is detached from the wall, we slid it open.

A picture of the booth from the inside. The supporting top beams need to be reinforced at this point.

Installing the support beams.

A picture from the inside.

Picture of the front of the booth.

Clean up work to do.

Picture of Dad's 99 Cobra convertible. It will be seeing the paint booth after my car is done.

Another of his car.

Last one for this week!

Baby is due October 10th, so progress will likely be slow, but I'll keep adding pics as we make progress!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #27

Finally doing some bodywork on my project! Not a LOT of stuff yet, but here is what we've got so far...

Sanded the paint off of the Right Rear Quarter panel to repair the damage...

Then attached the pins with the stud welder.

Once the pins were in place, we began pulling the dent with the slide hammer.

Finished the pulling. Two tears need to be welded up.

Some primer to keep it from rusting until we are ready to do the final priming and filling.

The next part we attempted to work on was the lower right side rocker. Because this will be covered by the side skirt, I decided to pull it out the best I could. If it was staying an LX, it would have to be cut out and replaced because it is badly creased in several areas.

Took off the paint

Ever seen the lawnmower man?

Pulling and hammering etc...

Best we could do with what we had, primered for now...

Last part we worked on was the left rear quarter flair.

Here is the GT bumper cover loosely installed.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #28

Looking good man!!
(From what year Ranger did that header came out off?)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-0-92lx View Post
Looking good man!!
(From what year Ranger did that header came out off?)
I believe it was a 1994... I didn't pull it myself, I just called a Junkyard and told them I needed the one that had the O2 sensor bung in the header (I think 1996 and later O2's are on the downpipe).
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #30

Finally, finally some updates! Although it's been slow to update, I have been pretty busy on the car. I managed to snag a pair of GT doors off of an 87 Mustang. I really only needed the passenger door, but...

1. They were sold as a pair.
2. I needed the GT molding for the driver's door anyway, and they both had good belt moldings, too.

The driver door was damaged more than the one that I have, so I decided to scrap that door.

We have been doing some more rust repair and cleanup in the hinge areas, but aren't quite done yet.

My Cervini's Cobra body kit arrived, which is good. I also managed to pickup a Fiberglass hatch on Craigslist. It was made by Design Concepts. While it seems fairly good, I am a little disappointed with the fitment along the quarter panel. The gap is a little bit wider than I would like, which is somewhat expected with Fiberglass, but my HO fibertrends hatch fit better.

However, I do like the fact that this hatch has a finished underside, which the HO one did not. Overall, though, I am satisfied with the hatch.

I also finally pulled the trigger and bought a new hood from HO fibertrends. This one is a stock style fiberglass hood, and so far the fitment is as much as I expected, which is pretty nice. I won't give it a perfect thumbs up yet because I haven't done any final fitment of the doors and fenders, so I will give it another comment once everything has been fitted and I am satisfied with the looks.

Unfortunately, I had to buy another set of fenders. Turns out that the ones I bought that were supposedly off of a 92 Mustang were actually 79-90 style fenders. I am kicking myself for not double checking them when I bought them, so let this be a lesson. Double check, don't just take it for granted that you are buying what you think you are. I tried for two months to find a decent set of 91-93 fenders, and struck out. So, these are Sort-fit fenders, but actually they seem decent right now, but again final fitment hasn't been done because the doors are still off of the car.

Last thing that you guys may find exciting... I weighted some of the stuff as I pulled it off. So, read on to find out what some stuff weighed!

Okay, okay, on to the pictures.

Here is the car with the old fenders and hood on it. Everything is loosely bolted on in this shot.

Here is the control weight of your author...

First up to be weighed, the stock steel hatch. All wiring has been removed at this point, as well as the glass, the latch, the lock cylinder, etc. It is just a bare steel hatch.

and the verdict is... a simple subtraction of my weight gives us a total weight of 43.4 lbs.

How does that compare to the Design Concepts Fiberglass hatch?

24.8 lbs! Or about 18.6 lbs lighter than stock.

Next up is the back glass.

A total of 19.6 lbs.!

How about a Cervini's Cobra Wing?

10.4 lbs for the wing.

Okay, last thing I weighed was the Fiberglass stock hood. Since I just did this one today, here is the new control weight.

and the weight of the Hood is a total of 20 lbs.!

Some pictures of the hood installed. A reminder, final fitment has not been done, so don't judge fitment on these pics

The only downsides to the hood are the unfinished undersides, and the area where the latch hooks is not reinforced with metal like my Cervini's hood.

Here are some pictures of the hatch with installed Cobra Wing.

And with the Cobra rear bumper hanging loosely...

And finally, how the car is sitting right now...

Okay, that is it for now! Hope to keep the updates coming along a little quicker!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #31

Trader Feedback: (15)

Great job so far, I love all of the pics your taking, thank you!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #32

great progress!! cant wait to see more
Old 01-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #33

Thanks for the interest guys, glad you are enjoying the build!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #34

Trader Feedback: (74)

Great work...I really enjoyed that thnx!!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #35

Trader Feedback: (23)

doors are over rated run without em! great progress. Makes me feel bad my car sat for a year when I burned up my injector harness. You are making great progress. keep it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement