How to properly fix a small hole in front bumper? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > The Body Shop

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (14)

How to properly fix a small hole in front bumper?

Is there a product or certain way I could fix this damage and not half ass it?

Black 94 Cobra #2615 Incon Twin turbo, AEM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

Plastic welder or fusor such as Duramix.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (14)

Could you go more in depth?

Plastic welding: how much is the equipment? Do I use urethane rod kinda like you do with tig welding?

What is duramix?
Black 94 Cobra #2615 Incon Twin turbo, AEM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

here is a website that has a plastic weld instructions, i was planning on buying one but havent got around to ordering one :-p

http://www.urethanesupply.com/fx45.php
Old 01-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (3)

I got mine from the Snap On tool guy. I think its the same company as above...GREAT product once you learn to use it right! I think it was around $100 and well worth it....I use it ALOT on plastic bumper repairs and R/C cars!! LOL

Duramix is a 2 part epoxy or plastic fusor....they make a TON of different fusors for bonding different materials. Ask you local auto body store about it....they can help you out finding the right one. That hole is a two sided repair no matter how you go about it. I can show you what I mean in person here...hard for me to type what I mean here. The instructional video that comes with the plastic welder would show you a proper two sided repair (with the metal mesh imbedded into the backside of the plastic).

The duramix would be the faster way to fix the hole, and IMO either way is fine here as its not that big a hole. Trust me I have used both, and find both methods are fine (both have their stronger points though depending on what type of repair).

Last edited by 79mustang351w; 01-27-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (6)

get some 3m 8115 panel bond. its actually made to bond metal to metal but works absolutely better than anything i have ever seen for repairing bumpers. i work in a body shop and use it on all bumpers with holes or tears. sand the area all around front and back with 80 grit paper, then mix the panel bond with some fiberglass matt and apply that to the back side. use just the straight panel bond with no fiberglass over the front side. give it 24 hours to harden and da it down with some 80 grit, then 180 and prime. i have literally used this method to fix a torn bumper and could not pull it back apart. its awesome stuff.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

I have also used the 8115 panel bond to repair some covers. The stuff is amazing. The only thing different than using other 3M Automix products is they say not to use adhesion promoter when using panel bond.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (29)

Garage
im getting ready to do this also.
86 coupe with 4 banger 96 GT vert 86 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement