How do I remove ignition switch without key? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (8)

How do I remove ignition switch without key?

Ok, did something utterly stupid, and lost both my keys. Searched to no avail--just weird.

Anyway, I know to push a pin underneath the column to remove the key cylinder--but thats only if you have the key.

How do you remove the ignition switch/ cylinder key w/o a key?

Anybody ever have to do this before, change all the locks? It seems the doors and trunk are pretty straightforward.

Thanks.

P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #2

bump
Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

why not just get a locksmith to make a key for you
331stroker, 9 to 1 comp ratio,ross inverted pistons,eagle crank & rods,1.7 roller rockers, oversized valves,roush 200 series fully ported heads,75 pro-m,65 tb, 30# injectors,edelbrock performer rpm 2 intake,tko 600,alum driveshaft,upper lower control arms,tub k-member & a-arms,pre93 comp
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

You could drill that pin out w/ a small drill bit. I've done that before, or call a locksmith. If you do use a locksmith it would make things easier on you because all of the locks would use the same key.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9408GT View Post
You could drill that pin out w/ a small drill bit. I've done that before, or call a locksmith. If you do use a locksmith it would make things easier on you because all of the locks would use the same key.
Locksmith said to call the dealer... I called up my favorite Ford Store, and they have a complete lock set for doors, trunk, and ignition, for a pretty reasonable price.

I just need to know how to get the cylinder out... You think the locksmith could get teh cylinder out? I didn't ask about that. I asked the dealer and the parts guy said you can do it, he just didn't know how.

the plastic outer ring turns from being worn out, so maybe I can get it out without the key.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (6)

I locked my keys in my mustang once and called the local ford dealership with the vin and they made me a set of keys. Having a key would make it alot easier.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (2)

Go with the key/locksmith route if you can.

I've had to drill the cylinder on an '89 Mustang my buddy bought for $100 that had no keys. It was a pain but we got it.

Wes
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (3)

Garage
you could just do like the crooks and use a screwdriver to force the cylinder into the run position.

then you can push the pin and slide the cylinder out.

Xbox Live = TwoRockTwo
Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorsCode View Post
I locked my keys in my mustang once and called the local ford dealership with the vin and they made me a set of keys. Having a key would make it alot easier.
Unfortunately, the dealer where I bought the car, can't make a key from the VIN...has to be 96 or newer.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guarddog II View Post
Unfortunately, the dealer where I bought the car, can't make a key from the VIN...has to be 96 or newer.
+1 A ford dealers told me the same thing
Trickflow top end kit with a stage #2 cam, Vortech Strim, 4R70W, NX Wet N02 kit, 60# Injectors, Prom80, BBK 70 MM TB, BBK FP reg, AFM Power pipe, Mallory 685, 4.10's, BBK ceramic shorties, Mac Prochamber, Flowmaster's, Treecer Rt tuned, 255 intank, Trex inline, KB BAP, Runs on E85 11.8@116
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95trippleblackconv View Post
+1 A ford dealers told me the same thing
+2, DAMN MODULAR'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #12

Ok, figured it out.. my bad.

I thought you had to remove the cylinder, buy a new one, and you got a key with that new cylinder.

I called an automotive lock smith, and he explained that with the EXISTING locks, they can make a key, so no need to get new cylinders, etc...which is good.

Because once again with the red headed step child of the mustang world, 94-95--they dont make locks for them anymore!!!

Lovely, just lovely...
Old 09-13-2007, 03:17 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Ok, figured it out.. my bad.

I thought you had to remove the cylinder, buy a new one, and you got a key with that new cylinder.

I called an automotive lock smith, and he explained that with the EXISTING locks, they can make a key, so no need to get new cylinders, etc...which is good.

Because once again with the red headed step child of the mustang world, 94-95--they dont make locks for them anymore!!!

Lovely, just lovely...
So he can make a key set from the existing locks? what about that crappy broken plastic collar on the ignition? Can they fix that?

Is the discontinued locks just the ignition or did Ford discontinue the door locks too?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBiggs View Post
So he can make a key set from the existing locks? what about that crappy broken plastic collar on the ignition? Can they fix that yourself.

Is the discontinued locks just the ignition or did Ford discontinue the door locks too?
I believe they can fix the plastic crappy collar, but I"ll have to double check. I"m trying to find the thread on here or on another forum that talks about how to fix that.

They discontinued the door locks, too. If you need door locks, and somebody jammed a screwdriver in it or something, you'll need to go to a junkyard and get those locks, then have keys made for them.

And yes, he can make keys from the existing locks. I didn't realize you could do that. Depending on where you live, will depend on the costs. I talked to the guys at Five Star Ford (EXCELLENT guys by the way, and very competitive on parts pricing), and where they are (Arizona, I think) and its $40-60. I called up here, (Northern Virginia), and the one place I asked quoted $140. Its expensive living here.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
I believe they can fix the plastic crappy collar, but I"ll have to double check. I"m trying to find the thread on here or on another forum that talks about how to fix that.

They discontinued the door locks, too. If you need door locks, and somebody jammed a screwdriver in it or something, you'll need to go to a junkyard and get those locks, then have keys made for them.

And yes, he can make keys from the existing locks. I didn't realize you could do that. Depending on where you live, will depend on the costs. I talked to the guys at Five Star Ford (EXCELLENT guys by the way, and very competitive on parts pricing), and where they are (Arizona, I think) and its $40-60. I called up here, (Northern Virginia), and the one place I asked quoted $140. Its expensive living here.
Thanks... post the link of whatever you find.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #16

Try Ford # F4ZZ-6322050-A

This is a complete lock set (ignition, doors, trunk & glove box) for 94/95 without anti-theft system.

And the cover around the key is part of the ignition lock. Slightly different in design, so probably for the 96/98's.
95 GTS aode, 355 frpp, alum d/s, cobra intake, 1.7 r/r, pioneer sfi balancer, bbk ceramic shorties, bbk alum pullies, k&n, subs, trans cooler, autometer gauges, kirban afpr, 255 walbro, taylor 409 wires, bullit suspension(w/03 Cobra Bilstein struts & front control arms), SZ-50 EP 255/45/17 on 2000 GT 5 spokes,99 twin piston pbr calipers, earl's s/s brake lines, 99 Cobra front seats.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (11)

Quote:
I feel your pain man, it's like all of us who love the 94-95 Stangs got the shaft BIG TIME from everyone else including Ford themselves

I still love this damn car though.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #18

The locksmith should be able to make a key from the VIN also. My sister got a rental car several years ago and they gave her the wrong trunk key. The locksmith showed up and I watched him look up the VIN in a book and then cut the key.

steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement