What does a bad u-joint sound like???? What are the symptoms?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

What does a bad u-joint sound like???? What are the symptoms??

I have a 95GT and I think the front u-joint is going bad. What are the symptoms/sounds of a bad u-joint. It or something is "clicking" and the sound is rpm specific and only happens when in gear and under a load or in gear and under extreme deceleration (i.e. 15-20mph decel. in 1st gear).

Thanks,
Brad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

One of the symptoms of a bad u-joint is when the decelerating, the car will vibrate quickly. There could also be a little bit of a hum to it. The only time i've ever felt it is when slowing down after racing from about 130-150mph. This was with the clutch engaged. It would stop if you pushed in the clutch or at least be less noticeable.
Shane
^They are exactly the same.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply although I haven't really felt any vibrations in the car. Then again I don't think this lead sled could get up to 130.

This noise happens when the tranny is in gear but continues whether or not the clutch is engaged or disengaged. It is most noticeable though when the car is under load or decelerating.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 PM   #4

That would be a bad front u joint. The front one makes noise under accel, and the rear makes noise under decel. Get that fixed asap, it is bad for tranny, and it can come apart, esspecially with spirited driving.
^They are exactly the same.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:16 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (5)

I had on go out on an old Challenger and I thought the whole damn engine had come apart! Makes sense though since thats alot of off balance rotating mass.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:37 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree that it must be the front u-joint. A buddy of mine took a ride with me and, using a stethescope through the shifter opening in the tranny tunnel, determined that the noise (clicking?) was loudest at the very end of the extension housing. So, since the u-joints have 116,000 on them I'm sure they're due. If it fixes the problem then great, if not........I have new u-joints.

I really don't feel like pole vaulting down the road any time soon.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:58 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (35)

If it is a slop issue, you should feel it when under there and torqueing the opposings sides of the shaft together and apart. I have had the joint feel nice and tight but the needle bearings were all rusted (lived in the Pac NW) - it would squeak/chirp it various situations.

With as cheap as U-joints are, I would replace both. In my experience the fronts wear about about half as often as the rears.
My two cents.
Good luck.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #8

A good way to test ujoints is to drive around 50-60 MPH in a high gear, let off the gas and stab the throttle again quickly. If you feel or hear the buck then most likely it's the ujoints. Parts are cheap, but its a pita to press in.
94 Oxford White GT. 18" Saleen wheels with BFG Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, etc. 89 Oxford White Notchback. Chrome Pony Wheels, Full exhaust, Pulleys, yadda yadda yadda, 94 GT Vert (Stockish cruiser)
Old 01-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #9

Well I removed the driveshaft this weekend and man was that front u-joint toast. One of the caps was frozen solid and took a lot of effort to remove. With the cap removed you could see only a few needle bearings left, the rest had been reduced to rust and powder. I replaced them with the greasable #270 Precision u-joints from Oreilly's. Hopefully they'll last me a while.

I'm glad I found this before it decided to let go on me. A driveshaft loop may be my next mod/safety net.

So, if you hear an rpm specific clicking, popping, or snapping like noise coming from underneath your car, check your u-joints first before replacing your tranny like I did.

My justification: It did have 116000 miles on it!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (35)

Glad you got it. How bad was the rear joint (or did you just do the front)?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:52 AM   #11

Thanks.....me too!

I replaced the rear joint at the same time but it was in much better shape than the front. They were both original w/116000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement