flywheel install - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2005, 01:38 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

flywheel install

Is it possible to install a flywheel in more that one position? When i start the car it shakes a little, and as the rpm's go up it shakes worse and worse. I just installed a new Mcleod clutch, and billet flywheel 50oz., with new pilot bearing and throwout bearing. It is in a 94 Mustang GT.

Last edited by punkpntballer; 03-20-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpntballer
Is it possible to install a flywheel in more that one position? When i start the car it shakes a little, and as the rpm's go up it shakes worse and worse. I just installed a new Mcleod clutch, and billet flywheel 50oz., with new pilot bearing and throwout bearing. It is in a 94 Mustang GT.
It can only go on one way, Give me your step by step flywheel and clutch install. will go from there
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-20-2005, 02:13 AM   #3

I forgot i also put in a new cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant.

I removed the shifter, H-pipe, driveshaft, starter. Then took out the 8 bolts holding the transmission to the flywheel housing, disconnected the clutch cable, and electrical connections. Unbolted the transmission crossmember, and lowered the transmission, removed the pressure plate and clutch disk. Unbolted the flywheel, and removed the pilot bearing.

Than i installed a new pilot bearing. Bolted on the new flywheel and torqued it. Using a clutch alignment tool i put on the new clutch disk and pressure plate and torqued it. Than i installed the new throwout bearing. Than i put the transmission back, put the bolts back, the new clutch cable. Connected the electrical connections and put the starter back. Topped off the transmission with fluid, reinstalled the driveshaft and h-pipe, and shifter.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpntballer
I forgot i also put in a new cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant.

I removed the shifter, H-pipe, driveshaft, starter. Then took out the 8 bolts holding the transmission to the flywheel housing, disconnected the clutch cable, and electrical connections. Unbolted the transmission crossmember, and lowered the transmission, removed the pressure plate and clutch disk. Unbolted the flywheel, and removed the pilot bearing.

Than i installed a new pilot bearing. Bolted on the new flywheel and torqued it. Using a clutch alignment tool i put on the new clutch disk and pressure plate and torqued it. Than i installed the new throwout bearing. Than i put the transmission back, put the bolts back, the new clutch cable. Connected the electrical connections and put the starter back. Topped off the transmission with fluid, reinstalled the driveshaft and h-pipe, and shifter.
Did you tighten the clutch disk and pressure plate with a criss cross pattern?
Old 03-20-2005, 02:27 AM   #5

yes
Old 03-20-2005, 02:47 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (7)

Did you mark the driveshaft before you removed it? The stock DS is balanced in one position i believe.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:01 AM   #7

was the flywheel new?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
Administrator

Trader Feedback: (4)

Garage
Make SURE that you got a 50 Oz. imbalance flywheel. If this is an FMS unit, double-check to make sure it was drilled for balance. From personal experience, I have come across three different instances where either the wrong flywheel was placed in a 50 oz box (in other words the part # is correct on the box but the wrong flywheel is in the box!) or the flywheel was put in the box without ever being drilled for balance at all. I bet this is your issue.

In Loving Memory of Dave Bandt
11/19/69-3/23/08

What's in Greg's Toy Box:

Old 03-20-2005, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow232
Did you mark the driveshaft before you removed it? The stock DS is balanced in one position i believe.

Hope that helps.
No, but it shakes when the car is not in gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.A.P.
was the flywheel new?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@GLD
Make SURE that you got a 50 Oz. imbalance flywheel. If this is an FMS unit, double-check to make sure it was drilled for balance. From personal experience, I have come across three different instances where either the wrong flywheel was placed in a 50 oz box (in other words the part # is correct on the box but the wrong flywheel is in the box!) or the flywheel was put in the box without ever being drilled for balance at all. I bet this is your issue.
I dont know what you mean drilled for balance. The weight's from the old and new flywheel are about the same size. Could the flywheel weight just be in the wrong place? If i were to line up the holes on the flywheels should the weights be in the same place. The new one is not a FMS.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #10

I just finished a automatic to manual swap in my 95 GT. I had the exact same problem. It turns out that I screwed up the harmonic balancer trying to get the old tranny out. I replaced the balancer and all is well.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (37)

How does one screw up a harmonic balancer when pulling a tranny? Did you tie some rope around it or something to keep the engine from moving?

In my experience the vibration was due to an imbalance in the clutch/flywheel combo. The dowel pin holes in the pressure plate (spec) were too big and allowed about a 1-2mm shift in the pressure plate which is enough to get things vibrating.

If the car still vibrates, (haven't started it since) I'm going to look into the harmonic balancer since I did indeed do the rope thing since I was a little hesitant about the engine possibly falling.
316 RWHP & 335 RWTQ // 3,225 lbs with driver and fuel // 11.919 @ 113.92 All Motor
Old 03-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorche
I just finished a automatic to manual swap in my 95 GT. I had the exact same problem. It turns out that I screwed up the harmonic balancer trying to get the old tranny out. I replaced the balancer and all is well.
I didn't touch the harmonic balancer. I just had a friend hold everything when needed.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #13

does anybody have any more thoughts?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #14

Trans mount loose? Motor mount loose? Did you switch in Poly mounts during the install?

Did you get the clutch and flywheel balanced together to see if they could be off balance?

New stuff can be defective so don't rule it out just because it was new.

Oh, and the flywheel can only bolt up one way, the holes are drilled as such.
316 RWHP & 335 RWTQ // 3,225 lbs with driver and fuel // 11.919 @ 113.92 All Motor
Old 03-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGT94
Trans mount loose? Motor mount loose? Did you switch in Poly mounts during the install?

Did you get the clutch and flywheel balanced together to see if they could be off balance?

New stuff can be defective so don't rule it out just because it was new.

Oh, and the flywheel can only bolt up one way, the holes are drilled as such.
i am using the factory mounts.

how can you get the flywheel and clutch balanced?

i am definitly not giving up that the new stuff isn't defective, that is exactly what i think it is, but i dont know how i would know, any help with this would be great.

i am thinking that it is probley the flywheel. if i were to align the holes on old flywheel and new flywheel sould the balance weight be in the same spot?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #16

what did you torque the clutch and pressure plate to?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.A.P.
what did you torque the clutch and pressure plate to?
12 - 24 ft lbs.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #18

And you did it in a uniform pattern, tightening little by little?

Call around your area for machine shops or automotive shops. I happened across a driveshaft and clutch manufacturer in my area who was willing to take the assembly from me and balance it. It was more of a check to find out if there was a certain combination of fitment that made everything IN harmony instead of having a vibration. Just make sure they know it needs to have a 50oz counter weight to it. They didn't actually balance my assembly but rather found the reason it was vibrating.

Getting them balanced together should take those out of the equation, make sure you know what way they were assembled during the balance too.

It might not hurt to check the balance on the flywheel separate too just to be sure that it is ok, in the event that you replace a clutch you won't have to go through this again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement