94/95 5.0 oil dipstick & tube VS. 86-93 5.0 dipstick tube assembly ???'s - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (37)

Question 94/95 5.0 oil dipstick & tube VS. 86-93 5.0 dipstick tube assembly ???'s

WTF is up with the design of the 94/95 5.0 oil dipstick tube assembly???

I don't know if the oil dipstick tube and dispstick are the same on a 94/95 GT, but on my Cobra, it's the most jacked off design I have seen...

I did my header install last night (BBK shorties), and trying to remove the old stock header on the driver's side and installing the new BBK - damn if that oil tube assembly was not a ROYAL PIA to work with and around... I got pissed and eventually yanked the dipstick tube assembly out of the block! I mean even after the new BBK header was installed, it was still a PIA to work with to get the tube situated properly again!

The damn 94/95 Cobra dipstick tube assembly has so many freaking curves in it, it's just crazy.

The driver's side header, the oil dipstick assembly snakes UNDER int, then curves back to and into the block... So, essentially, the header is mounted BETWEEN the oil dipstick tube and the head... What an assinine design if I ever saw one.

On the pre 94/95 5.0's - the oil dipstick tube only has a SINGLE bend in it - similar to a 90* (degree) bend... and the tube is NOT on the OUTSIDE of the header, it kind of shoots down in between the header tubes, then inserts into the block.... Once it was installed into the block, the actual oil "dipstick" was pointed directly forward - towards the radiator, NOT angled off to the strut tower... It was a simple design and easy to access.

Another thing too - on my Cobra, with the Motorsport strut brace I have installed, the damn oil dipstick is sort of tucked UNDER the brace, kinda of where it meets the strut tower... what a PIA it is to pull the dipstick and to re-insert it when taking oil readings....

So - this leads me up to my question:

Can the dipstick tube assembly and dipstick from a 86-93 5.0 be used on a 94/95 5.0 INSTEAD of the factory 94/95 dipstick tube assembly????

I don't understand the reasoning for the "re-design" of the oil dipstick assembly on the 94/95's when in fact, the 5.0 block and factory header design did not really change at all from 86-93 - it's still a 5.0 - so why mess with the design??

I'd much rather use the pre 94/95 dipstick tube assembly if and dipstick, if possible, than this POS one...

Any ideas??

1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe

Last edited by Cobra Jet NJ; 06-14-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 01:20 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

I'm pretty sure I have a Fox dipstick laying around the garage. If I have time tonight I'll try it on the car in place of my all-but-useless stock 95 dipstick which is just flopping around in the engine bay. I'll be out there swapping the alternator tonight.

Shawn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-14-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
Corral Charter Member

cool deal Shawn! Thanks for the info and "test"...

My thinking is - a pre-94 5.0 dipstick tube & dipstick HAS to work. I mean, there is practically NO design differences or variances on a 94/95 5.0 block as opposed to a pre-94 5.0 block.

Before you pull out your stock 95 tube - check your oil reading with your stock assembly set up. Then, when you test out the pre-94 5.0 assembly, recheck your oil reading with that dipstick and see if you get the same reading(s). I'm also curious to know if there is any difference in the actual dipsticks (or readings) too... I don't even like the dipstick on my Cobra... LOL...
Old 06-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (4)

My dipstick tube is completely gone now since I broke it trying to bend it to fit around the LTs , so I'm looking for options, and this is a good one!
I know the Lokar will fit, and so will the FMS chrome one, but I'm not so sure about chrome...I don't have any other chrome on my car.
1995 Cobra #3752/4005
Red/Black Leather

Current mods: Pro-M 77, BBK LT's, 3.73's
Future mods: Bunch-o-suspension

PoMoFo Racing
Old 06-15-2004, 07:38 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (19)

I had to switch to a Fox style dipstick and tube when adding aftermarket headers to my car. Works perfect other than the AC lines are some what in the way, but not bad, when pulling it out.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:12 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (16)

I just bought a brand new fox dipstick and tube for my incon set up.

Cost about $32.00 for both at FORD and the tube is painted black with the yellow ring on the end of the stick.

Last edited by 94cobra2615; 06-15-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #7

I boke two of them installing my BBK headers...damn dipstick tubes!!!!!

SN95Forums.com - Check us out!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:24 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (6)

i run a 92 T-bird dipstick... only one bend but it snakes between to header tube and comes almost to where the Power Steering is... I love it.... I just hate attaching it to a header bolt so it don't move....
Old 06-17-2004, 02:09 PM   #9

With the Fox dipstick, does it read the same as the SN95?
1995 Cobra #3752/4005
Red/Black Leather

Current mods: Pro-M 77, BBK LT's, 3.73's
Future mods: Bunch-o-suspension

PoMoFo Racing
Old 06-17-2004, 02:51 PM   #10

Yes it does. I just bought Part# FMS-M6750C303 from Summit Racing. I compared it to my stock SN95 and the readings are the same. The single bend in the Fox tube fits perfectly between the pipes of my BBK LT headers.

I'm very pleased with the mounting position of the Fox tube, my only problem is trying to get the tube fit into my block. With a friend under the car helping and me up top pushing and twisting as hard as we can, the dipstick tube simply wont press into the hole in my block. I'm thinking about sanding it down a bit for an easier fit. Anyone have any tricks to getting these dipstick tubes in after the engine has already been installed? The headers are seriously in the way, and I cant seem to get any sort of tool down in there. And it seems bare hands isnt enough to press it in
'94 Mustang GT - Currently building: Dart SHP 347 /w forged internals, Kenne Bell twinscrew /w GT40 lower, AFR Comp 185s, custom grind cam, BBK shorties, BBK 70mm TB, 60lb injectors, Magnum T-56, '03 Cobra IRS brakes and wheels.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:32 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (19)

IIRC you need to have the bend of the tube pointing towards the shock tower until you get it into the block. Then swing it around to face the front.

I have BBK equal lengths so YMMV.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #12

I ran a fox dipstick & tube on my '95. Works perfect. No idea why Ford changed it. Its retarded.

- 1995 Laser Red Mustang GT -
11:1 333, Tremec 3550, 3.73's, yadda yadda....SOLD

- 1989 Hugger Orange Mustang LX Hatchback
Tremec 3550, Edelbrock Performer RPM, 3.73's, yadda yadda....SOLD
Old 06-17-2004, 07:32 PM   #13

Thanks MadDAWG, I'll give that a try tonight
'94 Mustang GT - Currently building: Dart SHP 347 /w forged internals, Kenne Bell twinscrew /w GT40 lower, AFR Comp 185s, custom grind cam, BBK shorties, BBK 70mm TB, 60lb injectors, Magnum T-56, '03 Cobra IRS brakes and wheels.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:18 PM   #14
Corral Charter Member

some good replies here fellas - glad I was not the only one that thought the 94/95 dipstick tube assembly was a bad design...

now I'm off to get the pre 94 5.0 disptick tube assembly myself...
Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #15

Hey guy. Sorry if I'm steppin' on your thread. I just joined and don't know how to start. I've got the same issue with my 95 5.0. The oil reads way high on the dip stick even when it's low.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (24)

Just dont run a dipstick
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (1)

How can you not run a dipstick? What would you use to plug the hole?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (3)

Yeah, I've installed my BBK longtubes. Can't figure out how to get the damn dipstick back in. Might buy a flexible one or something. Really is a stupid design and location.

1994 Mustang GT - Dedicated Racear - Full MM catalog with 03 Cobra IRS - Codename: Rigid horse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement