Running a waterpump backwards - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2004, 11:12 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Running a waterpump backwards

What would be the bad side of running a water pump backwards? I would assume it would just flow in the opposite direction, but something tells me this can't be the case. Anyone ever successfully run a waterpump in the opposite direction and not had cooling problems?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (9)

mmmmmmmm why would u want to do that? and i dont think it would work , since there wouldn't be 'enough' coolant if you will in the bottom of the block where it matters since it would enter the lower intake first and well basically dont do it.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #3

Why would I do it? I only have an alternator, crank pulley, tension and waterpump now. There's no way to route the belt to spin the waterpump backwards. I also have a turbo in the way so I can't rig a pulley.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-06-2004, 02:51 PM   #4

How about an electric pump then?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:30 PM   #5
Formery known as Disloyal

An electric pump would work, and also benifit you alot.

Where is your turbo mounted ? You said you can't rig a pulley, but if you can reinstall your stick idler I know how to route the belt.

[Bassani Offroad X · Magnaflow Catback · 3.90 Gears · BFG Drag Radials]
Old 06-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #6

Older stangs with v-belts had a standard rotation pump. Replace your old pump with one of those.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:21 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (4)

This is how I routed it and it works just fine. I have underdrive pulleys but an using the stock WP pulley with a 44in. belt
Old 06-06-2004, 05:18 PM   #8
Formery known as Disloyal

Quote:
Originally posted by badingle

This is how I routed it and it works just fine. I have underdrive pulleys but an using the stock WP pulley with a 44in. belt
I don't see how that would ever work without an extra pulley. The belt wouldnt have any reason to touch the waterpump pulley, it would rub against itself on the tensioner.

[Bassani Offroad X · Magnaflow Catback · 3.90 Gears · BFG Drag Radials]
Old 06-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #9

That drawing isnt exactly to scale. There is about and inch clearance between the belt by the WP and tensioner.

Let me go snag a pic.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #10

Is the idea here for the cold water exiting the radiator to enter the engine through the top hose, in order to cool the heads before the block?

There are motors where the top hose is the intake and the bottom the discharge. I have personally owned two examples, a 74 Capri 2.8 V6 and a 03 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6. In all the cases I’ve seen where the bottom hose is the discharge, the thermostat is also on the bottom hose thus holding the hot water in the motor when the engine is cold. Relocating the thermostat would take some fabrication, but could be done.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish but good luck.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #11

I redid the drawing. Thats closer to how it really looks.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...t=belt+routing

Daves95GT has pics of how he did it on that link

Last edited by badingle; 06-06-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #12

Actually a famous engine builder by the name of Smokey Yunik set up a reverse flow coolant system with great success. It took a bit more than changing the direction of the waterpump as others have eluded to but apparently it made more power and was more efficient at cooling.

"There is a kit out that has this avail for the Chevy small block. It was developed by Smokey Yunick. If anybody was reading Circle Track mag about 9 years ago (June 1990 edition to be exact) they will remember it as "Reverse Cooling". In a nut shell, the flow is reversed in the block with external manifolds and modified water pump. On a stock arrangement, the coolest water
leaves the pump and heads for the cylinders where it is pre-heated on the way to the heads, where the cooling is needed the most. On the reverse flow set-up, the water goes to the heads FIRST and then the cylinders. This allows higher compression and leaner running before the heads get too hot and start the thermal run-away conditions known as pre-ignition and detonation."

source- http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/msg01806.html
Ford Motorsport Shorty Headers
1.7 Crane Cobra Roller Rockers
BBK Underdrive Pullies
Ford Motorsport Catback
Perf. Dist. Firepower Ignition Kit
CAI (Cheap E-Bay job)
3.55 SVO Gears
Metal Tech Strut Tower Brace
Mach I shocks/struts by Tokico
MAC Shifter

Last edited by VA302STANG; 06-06-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
How about an electric pump then?
Lend me the money
Old 06-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #14
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

on the Fox 5.0's you can run a standard rotation 1989 Crown Vic water pump if you are eliminating many accessories and need to run a very short belt...

I know, because I did it on my prior 90 LX 5.0 coupe - which is posted in the General Tech forums multiple times, used as an example to help many with their ideas, etc...

I was running a 44.5" short belt - no A/C, no pwr steering, no smog, very small 93 Cobra water pump pulley and an underdrive crank pulley... In order to run such a short belt, I needed a standard rotation pump instead of the stock 5.0 REVERSE rotation pump.

I used a 1989 Crown Vic 5.0 water pump, it bolted right up to the Mustang 5.0 with no problems and solved my problem.

I do NOT know if this can be done on the 94/95 5.0's. I'm saying this only because of the front accessory brackets being different and the pulley not working or lining up properly with the remaining accessories you are running. You may have to do more research on this to see if a Crown Vic pump can be fitted and used. The only way it MAY work IS IF you convert your front drive accessories, pulleys and brackets over to the Fox body 5.0 style... and that's alot of BS to go through to run a short belt.

Best of luck!
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 06-07-2004, 03:57 PM   #15

I'll probably just end up using a Fox timing cover and the standard rotation pump. It'll work.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:57 PM   #16

Dude- I am telling your the way I did it works perfect! Try it.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:00 PM   #17

I'm not running a stock sized pulley, so it won't work.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:53 PM   #18
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ94GT
I'll probably just end up using a Fox timing cover and the standard rotation pump. It'll work.
You will need a few 86-93 5.0 parts in order to make that work - trust me...

Just changing out the timing cover is NOT going to solve the problem. Sure, it WILL work and allow you to use the old style standard rotation Crown Vic 5.0 water pump BUT ----- once you install the standard rotation Crown Vic 5.0 water pump, you will not be able to align your belt to match any of the other pulleys or remaining accessories.

The stock 94/95 water pump is SHORT, it has a SHORT snout on it and the pulley is completely different from that of the prior 86-93 5.0 water pump pulleys. The stock 86-93 5.0 water pump has a LONG snout on it and uses a different pulley. You cannot interchange the water pump pulleys on a 86-93 to a 94/95 and visa versa. The stock 94/95 crank pulley is FLAT, whereas the stock 86-93 crank pulley sticks out about 3" from the mounting point on the crank... Heck, even the alt pulley or mounting point you may have to mess with...

For returning a 94/95 5.0 to a Fox 5.0 standard water pump your only options are:

86-93 5.0 timing cover
86-93 standard rotation 5.0 water pump (actually a 89 Crown Vic pump)
change Alt. bracket to old 86-93 5.0 bracket
check alt mounting points and pulley to see if it will line up properly
use old style 86-93 5.0 belt tensioner
need a stock 86-93 5.0 standard rotation water pump pulley to work with the Crown Vic pump (or you will need to modify an existing 86-93 5.0 water pump pulley to work)
need a stock 86-93 crank pulley

If keeping the power steering, you may need the 86-93 5.0 power steering bracket as well - but I am not 100% sure on that... because the PS pump on a 94/95 is mounted above the A/C, whereas on the 86-93 5.0, the A/C is mounted above the PS pump.

The 94/95 5.0's are quite different from the 86-93 5.0's as far as the bracket system used, the accessories used & positioning of those accessories and the way the pulleys were designed to work with that 94/95 bracket & accessory system. Everything on the front of the 94/95 engines was redesigned and/or pushed back onto or closer to the front of the engine to clear the new electric fan setup, the new radiator setup, the new A/C lines and cooling overflow bottle, etc...

Research all of the parts first before attempting to tear apart your engine thinking that by just slapping on a timing cover and water pump will do the trick - it won't.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement