What are the signs of a bad EGR? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2003, 11:47 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

What are the signs of a bad EGR?

I have just replaced a leaking AEROMOTIVE regulator and read somewhere on here that this problem led to the damage of a an EGR Valve. What are the signs of a bad EGR Valve. The problem is that the car runs half way decent at or near wot but light to mid throttle the car bucks like son of a gun. It feels like missing cylinders but i cannot seem to come up with anything. I replaced 4 of the 8 with the new Iridiums but it got late and i didn't get to the others. The 4 i did do were textbook perfect looking. Any suggestions?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2003, 12:58 AM   #2

Usually if the EGR isn't working the sensor on top will know the valve isn't opening and it will trip the CE light. The only time it wouldn't set off the light is if the sensor is bad too which isn't likely.....

As far as the bucking, are you talking about as you take off or already going 60mph for example..... not sure whch you mean.... If it bucks as you take off from a stop or when driving really slow, might want to check the motor mounts/tranny mount..... If it's when you're already moving and going and it just bucks I couldn't guess on that one...

Later,
Fred
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:49 AM   #3

While i am driving any speed part throttle bucks like a bit@#. Feels like if i vary the throttle sometimes it feels smoother.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:45 PM   #4

The only time I had bucking like that was when I screwed with my MAF sensor (made it buck, backfire and die at idle and very little power). I reset the idle and it fixed it. Not sure if it will work for you but worth a try. Do this:

1. Disconnect neg. battery for 30 minutes
2. Disconnect IAC harness (harness pointing up on TB)
3. Start car and run for 3 minutes with accessories off(adjust idle screw as needed)
4. Turn car off and reconnect IAC harness.
5 Start car and run for 3 more minutes with all accessories on (A/c, radio, lights, etc.........).

The car may want to die with the IAC disconnected. Just give it a little gas until it settles down.....

Let me know if that works for you......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement