Ford Mustang Forums banner

95 gt air sound when i hit the brakes

895 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  tommybunz 
#1 ·
every time i press the brakes i can hear a loud air sound. not sure if its the booster or the switch piece that the vacuum hose connects to. pain in the butt and it is causing my brakes not to engage hard enough of course. has anyone had this issue before.

#2 ·
Sounds like a booster diaphram. It should hold vacuum long after the car is shut off. Check it a half hour or so after you shut down by pulling the check valve out of the grommet. You should hear substantial vacuum.

#3 ·
thats the one under the hood your talking about right? i will try the first. i was looking under the dash yesterday, and the hose doesnt appear to be tight. it looks a little big for hose end so im going to change that also.

#4 ·
Yes, under the hood. The brake vacuum booster is behind the master cylinder where you add brake fluid. Single hose runs to it. Plastic fitting will pull out of the rubber grommet. Easy to find.

#5 ·
ok so i did what you said and removed fitting and pshhhhh. all the air comes out. so the booster is working. the hose i think is bad is the one that goes from the vacuum tree to the pedal. but it may be the plastic switch part on the pedal thats bad i have to see tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.