porting GT heads, how much HP you think? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2002, 04:10 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

porting GT heads, how much HP you think?

Gonna home port my GT heads this winter, just curious how much gain I should expect with possibly larger valves also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #2

if you do it right, maybe 5-10, if you do it wrong, you will just make it worse.

I would personally not waist the time, it would take to do it.

THe time involved in pulling the heads, and doing the work, and the cost of the supplies, and the posibilty of messing up one of the heads.

For the time and money invested, it just really isnt worth it to me. If you want to save some money, and want more flow, go pick up some used gt-40's.

7.94@87 gt40p's, afm cam, cobra intake
299 RWHP 329 RWTQ

Project Blown Up
302, AFR 165's, comp cam, TFS Track Heat,Acufab 70mm t/b, Anderson Powerpipe, BBK LT's, Dr. Gas 3'' X, Mac Flowpath Catback.4.30's
331RWHP 319RWTQ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2002, 05:43 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

One man's junk is another man's jewel. Just doing the port matching got 27 HP (it might have been 37, cant' remember exactlysince it was a couple years ago but I would err on the side of conservatism) in one write up one of the mustang mags did. They didn't even change the intake from a stocker and they didn't really port them out big. They did take out the EGR bump though along with the port match and smoothed the ports out throughout and gave it a 3 angle valve job. I am thinking of pulling the heads on my wrecked 94 and doing it to put in my 95. Cheap HP in my book.

THE 94 HAS BEEN TOTALED 3/19/02...LONG LIVE THE 95!!!

Used to have a:
94gt Convertible w/AODE (OINK!)
JMS Chip, Romac Balancer, Art Carr modified valve body and some internal upgrades, Borla cat-back, FMS 3.73 gears, FMS "B" springs & Tokico non-adjustables, Hotchkis CC plates

In my garage waitin' for heads...Cobra intake, 1.7RR's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2002, 05:49 PM   #4

I would just get some better new or used heads. You might gain some and someone will probably respond with a "I got 350 horsepower with stock head ported with 2.02 valves and 1.60 exhaust". If you have time and a budget go for it. You won't save a bunch of money when you have to get a valve job for 150 bucks add $50 for larger valve seats, buy new $90 springs. Oh, forgot to mention buy valves: I am guessing $90, I could be wrong on prices though. Supplies for head porting $50 mininum. $40 worth of beer, 40 hours of backbreaking work with a dust mask and safety glasses on. A couple of painful cases of Buzz hand: priceless. Please don't ask me what that is. If you don't know, you never worked hard. you will learn something I guarantee. To me it is such a long shot to try to squeeze something out of nothing and to risk hitting a water passage. HECK NO! I would rather drive on re-tread tires then settle for stock heads.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:40 PM   #5

Let me clarify my response. I DEFINITELY would not bother with the expense of the larger valves. If you are thinking of doing that, just by better heads. If you just want to make some econmical extra power, go ahead and work on the heads. Yes you will want a valve job and new springs, but heck you already own the heads, just do it. You will get some extra power for less than used heads that will probably need some cleaning up too.

Used to have a:
JMS Chip, Romac Balancer, Art Carr modified valve body and some internal upgrades, Borla cat-back, FMS 3.73 gears, FMS "B" springs & Tokico non-adjustables, Hotchkis CC plates

Old 11-20-2002, 08:16 PM   #6

I've read articles about people making some real gains with stock ported heads. Of course if I had a grand burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy some real nice new ones.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:19 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (5)

The advice above about getting some used GT40's (or other cost effective aftermarket heads) is what I would suggest, although I would choose some GT40P's over the standard GT40's if you have some headers that can mate to 'em already...Although there is something to be said about someone using stock heads that can really run well...I really want to get back to some E7's in the long run just to see what I can do w/'em. It should be noted that the port work alone could very possibly yield minimal gains (read: not worth the time) hp/ET/mph wise...but atleast you'll gain some experience. To really take advantage of a stock headed setup there's tons to be made in changing the camshaft to better suit the combo...if you're stuck on a budget and can't afford new heads, another alternative would be to port (or not port) you're E7's and do a cam swap to help out your limited flowing heads...I think there would be more to be gained w/a custom cam than porting your heads alone...although given the cam profile will need to be pretty aggresive, there will probably be funds thrown towards a highly suggested valve train upgrade...just a thought, anyway, good luck!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:12 PM   #8

Check out www.powerheads.com They really do get alot out of the stock heads. It might give you some direction and some ideas.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:57 PM   #9
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (5)

I had a lead on 2 pairs of iron GT 40's recently for $350 and $450.

Some say it's not bad getting some power out of the stock heads since their so bad it's sorta hard to mess things up too bad. I think if you are on a budget I'd give it a try. Just don't hit the valve seats or you in for a valve job. I'd definately throw some new springs on there. I've even seen some .550 AFR take off's on the classifieds. How many miles on your heads and how hard driven. Get that calculator out and just do some cyphering on the prices. I wouldn't put much in them. Also, you can come close to getting used AL's for the price of the powerheads.

Also, Fordmuscle.com or some site has a good article on stock head porting. It's now a pay site but I have a subscriptiion for it.

If your game, I'd say go for it but don't spend much at all. Even if you trash it how much do stock heads go for? Next to nothing.

How did the Roush install go? I got some and am keepinig one for a 351 stroker. One buyer was looking for a hood. He didn't like the Cobra R hood. What did you use? Do you have any install pics?

Thanks, John
2003 Infiniti M45
Old 11-20-2002, 09:59 PM   #10

New article in the new MM&FF and the project car they are doing and they just installed some "Power Heads" to try to stay within a specified budget. If its something you want to do to pass the winter hibernation, go for it. What you might want to do is pick up some good used ones for 50.00 or so and work them and get em ready then swap em out. This way if you botch it, you aint scrounging to get the car running, etc. Should be a lot of stock castings laying around Michigan right now that are collecting dust and wave a 50.00 bill in front of someone and now you have a winter project! I know what it is like to have a hobby and not be able to "go for the gusto"!. If you have the money, do as the others say , or shop around, even for some used GT-40 irons. They are a good head esp. when you can pick em up cheap! If you have money, get some AFR's or something equal. The "beer pocketbook" limits many of us and I am one of em!

Last edited by DZAHER; 11-20-2002 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:25 AM   #11

Like said the stock heads are so restricted, that you really cannot mess them up.

I have heard you gain about 20hp just from removing the smog bump and gasket matching the exhaust. After spending last winter porting a set of E7s, that is realistic. You can almost double the exhaust port size of the E7 heads.

I followed the FordMuscle article pretty much on my heads, got a 5 angle valve job, SS polished valves (stock size), upgraded springs, new seals, gaskets, headbolts, etc to finish the job. Took about 8 and 11 hours per head. I concentrated mostly on the exhaust and bowls, then blended in the intake side of the heads. I would say it is worth about 20-30hp at the motor with my other mods .

Was it worth it? Well limited budget that I was on, yes. I wanted a bit more power and freshen up the top end of the motor. It was a good experience for sure. It would be more fun if it was the first time I had done porting and assembling a motor.

Would I do it again? Same budget, yes. But I would like more power thus as others suggest, save for the aftermarket.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:27 AM   #12

You can pick up .3 and 3 mph with an apples to apples swap to GT40 irons. That can be a good bang for the buck mod if you find a good deal.
Dynojet'd 286rwhp/331rwtq Stock Cam, GT40 Irons
Old 11-21-2002, 02:00 PM   #13

So maybe picking up a set of good used GT40s and porting them instead of my stockers might not be a bad idea. Hey 95 KBConv, the Roush install went well, I trimmed the stock hood on the high spots and it fits fine.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:56 PM   #14

Obviously a great idea, but I thought this started out as a budget upgrade with stock heads. If you have the $$$ to buy the GT40s for $450, spend the $150 for a valve job and the $100 for springs you are at $700. Heck just save a couple hundered more and get the Ebock or something.

Used to have a:

Old 11-21-2002, 06:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ 94gt vert
Obviously a great idea, but I thought this started out as a budget upgrade with stock heads. If you have the $$$ to buy the GT40s for $450, spend the $150 for a valve job and the $100 for springs you are at $700. Heck just save a couple hundered more and get the Ebock or something.
TJ: There is a lot of truth to what you mentioned about the costs adding up. The way to go here ( budget build) is to do some hard shopping and find a set that someone has upgraded or outgrown so that you don't have to throw a bunch of post purchase cash at.

Tangerine302: You mentioned picking up a used set of GT40's and porting them. I'd sell my GT40's and go upmarket before I spent and time and money porting them. I guess it all comes down to a time/money/value issue and we all have to draw our line in the sand somewhere. Whatever route you choose, have fun doing it!

Hint: This is a good time of year to watch the Corral's classified section, as a lot of people are doing the "off season combo change" shuffle of parts. There are good deals if you watch for 'em. In fact, if you post a "WTB: GT40 Iron Heads" ad, they'll come to you. I bet you could score a nice set for $400.
Dynojet'd 286rwhp/331rwtq Stock Cam, GT40 Irons
Old 11-22-2002, 12:21 AM   #16

ALso factor in the cost of new head gaskets, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, new head bolts, coolant, oil and a filter when you do swap heads. That all adds about $100 more to the project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement