CCRM Issues - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

CCRM Issues

I'm not that familiar with CCRM coming from the 86-93 world. This is what I have going on and hopefully someone has seen this issue before.

Key on, the CCRM is making noise, fan is running and I believe the fuel pump is running as well. Seems like a grounding issue, but I can't seem to locate any faults.

Any idea on where to start?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (8)

The CCRM contains 4 relays, fuel pump, A/C, rad fans and PCM. Any noise has to come from one of them. Wondering why the fan is running unless the A/C is on. The stock fan comes on low at about 210* unless the wiring has been changed to manually over-ride the factory setting.

KB 2.1L @ 9psi, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Built AODE and TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (9)

The fan comes on when the computer doesn't come on. The PCM relay in the CCRM may be bad.
Megasquirt
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seijirou View Post
The fan comes on when the computer doesn't come on. The PCM relay in the CCRM may be bad.
Are you saying the fan comes on with the ignition in the OFF position? PCM is on when the ignition is in the run position. Sounds as if someone has wired the fan for manual control.

KB 2.1L @ 9psi, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Built AODE and TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman View Post
Are you saying the fan comes on with the ignition in the OFF position? PCM is on when the ignition is in the run position. Sounds as if someone has wired the fan for manual control.
Nope. The low speed fan is wired to come on with the key. When the computer is on, assuming engine temp is below threshold, it provides a ground to the low speed relay to remove power from the fan. This default on is a failsafe.

The high speed fan works the way you would assume it does.

If the computer is not on, it will not shut off the low speed fan when the key is on.
Megasquirt
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (3)

Finally had time to revisit this issue. I replaced the CCRM with a unit from Advance and now it seems I took a step backwards. Before the fan would come on (I realize that wasn't necessarily a good thing) I had a very erratic spark (constant spark) and the fuel pump was running. With the new unit, nothing happens. No spark, no FP priming. Nothing. Could the CCRM be the wrong one?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (11)

I just replaced mine and it solved my issues.

What's the part # of the old one? What's the part # of the new one?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (7)

I've got an extra one you can have it cheap.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (0)

I had used one CCRM from a 96 mustang (F6SZ-12B577-AA) and from a 98 mustang . I think that all the 94-98 CCRM years are the same (V6 and V8) . UPDATE: See post #10 below.

Here are some 94-95 diagrams :

From HISSIN50 :

Some EEC relay diagnostics: If it seems like none of the EEC systems are receiving power (underhood solenoids, fuel injectors, etc), hereís a place to look. First check the PCM/CCRM fuse in the underhood fuse box (20 amps). Also check the ignition switch fuses.
At the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module Ė the black box mounted on the radiator overflow bracket): With the key turned to run, check Pin 12 and 24 for accessory power. If itís there, the issue lies past the CCRM. If thereís no power: Check CCRM Pins 8 and 10 for constant 12 volts. Check CCRM Pin 13 for accessory 12 volts. Check CCRM Pin 15 for ground. If 8, 10, 13 and 15 are present (this requires the key to be on), but 12 and 24 are not showing 12 volts, that suggests a bad EEC relay inside the CCRM.

Fuel pump relay diagnostics: First, always check the inertia switch in the trunk and the fuel pump fuse in the underhood fuse box (20 amps). Also check the ignition switch fuses. With the key turned to run and checking within the fuel pump prime-out period (a duration of 2-5 seconds after turning the key to run): Check CCRM pin 5 for accessory 12 volts. If you have it, the issue lies downstream. If not: Check CCRM Pin 11 for constant 12 volts. Check CCRM Pin 13 for accessory 12 volts. Check CCRM Pin 18 for a ground signal during the prime-out.
If this is all good, check the inertia switch (located in the driver side trunk, adjacent the tail light) and fuel pump electrical connector at the tank.

Fan relay diagnostics (EDF and HEDF): Low speed fan relay diagnostics (the fan circuit is rather broad given the EDF module), so only relay ins/outs are noted here:
If low speed isnít coming on, but you are getting 12 volts to CCRM Pin 14 at or greater than 208*F and the fuses are intact: With the key on, check CCRM Pins 1 and 2 for twelve volts when the fan should be on. If thereís not 12 volts: Check Pin 15 for ground. Check pins 3 and 4 for constant 12 volts.
If high speed doesnít come on at ~228F or with the A/C turned on, but CCRM Pin 17 shows continuity to ground: With the key-on, check CCRM pins 6 and 7 for 12 volts when the high speed fan should be on. Check Pins 3 and 4 for constant 12 volts. Check Pin 13 for key-on 12 volts.
GT40X heads,RPM2 intake,Crane 2031,1.7 rr,BBK 70 tb,BBK equal shorty headers,off-road 2.5" H pipe,2.5"catback,42lbs inj.,bilstein struts,H&R Race springs,MM C/C plates,MM bumpsteer kit,steeda X2 balljoints,hurst shifter,3.73 gears,Cobra brakes,Baer 13" rear brakes,lc1 wb,Etc. Running pure ethanol.

Last edited by advent; 01-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #10

CCRM compatibility

Just for future research , here are a CCRM compatibility chart :

GT40X heads,RPM2 intake,Crane 2031,1.7 rr,BBK 70 tb,BBK equal shorty headers,off-road 2.5" H pipe,2.5"catback,42lbs inj.,bilstein struts,H&R Race springs,MM C/C plates,MM bumpsteer kit,steeda X2 balljoints,hurst shifter,3.73 gears,Cobra brakes,Baer 13" rear brakes,lc1 wb,Etc. Running pure ethanol.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (30)

Few other questions.. Almost Identical situation as above... But I took a motor from a RUNNING car (95) and swapped it into my 95.. finished buttoning everything up and whhhollaa the CCRM is buzzing and I have CONSTANT spark (I turn the Key on with the coil off and it is just shooting spark)... I can unplug the fuel pump harness at the tank and the ccrm Stops humming/buzzing..
The car will crank but not fire??...
I heard it was a ground problem but I have gone through and inspected all the grounds (as best I could)...

Few things..
-The CCRM is buzzing but the fuel pump is running constantly (not intermittently like it should)
-The spark is almost like it's on key hot?!?
-The fan is not running (as some people run into)
-I have a spare CCRM, but don't want to plug it in a ruin it..
-all above parts were running fine in the other car (I.E. ECU, CCRM, Motor etc)
-I did replace the fuel pump in the swap (255 intank)
-It almost seems like something is back feeding...

Where do I go from here?
2008 Harley Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #12

Anyone..Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo308 View Post
Anyone..Thoughts?
Could be the CCRM fuel pump relay stuck closed (on) or some diode problem in the module (also affecting fan operation) ... Could be the DG/Y wire that links the PCM with the CCRM (controls the fuel pump) with short to ground ...

The CCRM don't control ignition system .

You will have to get a complete diagram of the all electronic engine control (cell 024 on the ford manual service) and Ignition System (cell 021) and test the wires/components .
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #14

Off the top of my head guess is that the buzzing you're hearing is the rapid cycling of a relay. That rapid cycling is also what's causing your constant rapid sparking of the coil as power is given to it then taken away quickly.

There are several ways this can happen, but the ultimate cause is that the relay turning on powers a circuit that also turns the relay off (or prevents the "on" circuit from working any longer). That could be a short after the relay sinking all the power, or it could be a bad diode like advent said, permitting a circuit path that shouldn't normally be available.

I would open the CCRM up and figure out which relay is buzzing and go from there.
Megasquirt
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #15

I have a spare CCRM (same model/part number)..but I didn't want to just put it on if there was a short and mess it up... And the weird part is this CCRM was working fine in the car just a few days ago.. That's why I'm leaning twords a Short.. Just have no Idea where to start looking..
Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #16

Yeah, you'll need to tackle that with a wiring diagram, a multimeter, a notepad, and some patience.

BTW you can usually tell if something electronic is smoked or not with your nose. Give it a sniff.
Megasquirt
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Authorized Corral.Net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (77)

Personally, I think you have a wiring issue but if you don't have a wiring diagram and you're not well versed in troubleshooting electronic circuits then replace the CCRM module, it will hopefully answer one question is it a wiring issue or the CCRM.

94 Mustang Faleen (Fake Saleen)
ProCharger D1 and Water/Methanol Injected
844rwhp and 752rwtq SAE
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #18

Update.. I feel like such a jack ass... so after checking all the fuses, I decided to just really go over all the grounds...well they all looked great... expect one... DAMNIT! it was the one that is under the stock fuse box and is the main ground for the ECU... I had removed the battery cables (Battery is in the trunk) and grounded the main ground to the frame.. well I neglected that one plug.. Plugged it in..and waaala started right up...

Last edited by Turbo308; 01-24-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (37)

Exclamation

Credit for the below link with CCRM tech belongs to SVT Performance member "mwolson", who is also known as Mark Olson.

This link created by Mark is an awesome CCRM diagnostic tech tool for those experiencing possible CCRM issues:

http://www.accutach.com/Documents/An...%20CCRM-R1.pdf
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement