94 Cobra 5-speed to automatic - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

94 Cobra 5-speed to automatic

Hi guys.
I have a low mileage 94 Cobra that is a very nice car and I like it a lot
I would like to start using it as a daily driver but when I was younger I broke
my left knee. Now if I get caught in traffic it hurts-OUCH-
I may take a shot at selling it or trading it and if it doesn't sell then I will go with the automatic.
I plan on getting a Donner car 94-95 5.0 GT?
I switched a Fox from a automatic to a 5 speed and that was pretty much
cut and dry.
Do the 94-95 Mustang automatic transmission work independently no computer needed?--Like a fox--
Has anyone actually done this?
But I'm also looking for some input from anyone that may have some tips or knowledge on this.
What am I getting into?

Last edited by 1oldfox; 10-05-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

You will need the computer also, If you were near me I would trade you my AODE for your 5 speed. Transgo shift kit, Aluminum 8 qt tranny pan, B&M Hammer shifter and 2800 stall converter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #3

Cobra computer is different then the GT, a tune will still be needed correct?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (5)

You are going to run into trouble here. There is no Cobra computer set up for AODE, as none of them came with automatics...only 5 speeds. And the AODE requires computer control (The E for Electronic). So you would have to switch to a GT computer, which will change alot of the other original settings. Not a very good choice, but a choice nonetheless. Going from an automatic to a stick is much easier than the other way around.

I would recommend finding a good GT auto and keeping your current Cobra as is, if for nothing else, the value of the vehicle. If you start going through that Cobra and making all those changes, you are going to seriously affect the value of the vehicle. Keep the Cobra for the fun weekend, and use the GT auto as your daily driver.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #5

THIS THREAD IS CONTINUED UNDER GENERAL MUSTANG TECH.
LOOK FOR FOX "TRANS IN A 94 COBRA"

THANKS GUYS FOR THE USEFUL INFORMATION
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (37)

Sell the Cobra buy a GT auto, Keep the cash or buy a Cobra front bumper with it. Problem solved. Enjoy
Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #7

Something like this??

Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #8

There is a stand alone controller for the aode. Keep your Cobra computer.

Baumannator TCS Electronic Transmission Control System
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

You might want to check the VIN against the visual you are displaying.

1995 Mustang Specifications | eHow.com

1995 Ford Mustang Specs & Specifications - CarsDirect

And those are just a few...

Ford did not make a production Cobra with an automatic. There were about 5 convertibles that were used for the Indy 500 that were modified by Roush Racing using the AOD (not the AODE), but are nowhere considered to be production, or stock.

There have been several examples noted where enthusiasts have determined the differences between the GT/GTS and the Cobra, and made the appropriate visual changes...even internal and suspension changes. That does not change the fact that there were no "production" 1994/1995 Mustang Cobras or Cobra Rs that were offered to the general public with an automatic transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orl1mjf View Post
Something like this??

Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-GT View Post
You might want to check the VIN against the visual you are displaying.

1995 Mustang Specifications | eHow.com

1995 Ford Mustang Specs & Specifications - CarsDirect

And those are just a few...

Ford did not make a production Cobra with an automatic. There were about 5 convertibles that were used for the Indy 500 that were modified by Roush Racing using the AOD (not the AODE), but are nowhere considered to be production, or stock.

There have been several examples noted where enthusiasts have determined the differences between the GT/GTS and the Cobra, and made the appropriate visual changes...even internal and suspension changes. That does not change the fact that there were no "production" 1994/1995 Mustang Cobras or Cobra Rs that were offered to the general public with an automatic transmission.
I don't think he was trying to play that car off as a cobra. It's got a GT trunk and a saleen spoiler..
Megasquirt
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seijirou View Post
I don't think he was trying to play that car off as a cobra. It's got a GT trunk and a saleen spoiler..
I wasnt, its a GT that I put the Cobra parts on. I was making more of a reference to the above poster who said to buy a GT and put some cobra parts on it. Mine has the airbag, cluster, brakes, Master cylinder, intake manifold, and heads, also put the bumper from a 96 Cobra on it.
A Fobra/Nobra always seems to bring out someone who gets all p'dd off about it and starts quoting Cobra stats. That said, I never heard that Roush did Indy convertibles for the 94 year, I was under the impression that Ford made a couple to actually pace the race and the rest were automatics called Festival cruisers. Did Roush actually produce the pace cars?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #12

Sorry I came off as PO'd. As a retired old Army MSG I sometimes can be...too direct. Don't have a Cobra, don't need to defend it. I was just noting that the vehicle in the pictures, while beautifully prepared, was probably not a Cobra.

From what I was told and researched, Ford gave the convertible Cobras to Roush Racing to prep for the Indy 500. I believe that the Cobra that Parnelli Jones drove (the actual pace car) had a 5 speed in it, but the other parade cars were autos. And they had AODs in them, not the AODE. Now, having said that, I wasn't there in the building, have not actually seen one, and am only repeating what I was told and read through research.

Crusty and retarded....errrrr.....retired US Army MSG, signing off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orl1mjf View Post
I wasnt, its a GT that I put the Cobra parts on. I was making more of a reference to the above poster who said to buy a GT and put some cobra parts on it. Mine has the airbag, cluster, brakes, Master cylinder, intake manifold, and heads, also put the bumper from a 96 Cobra on it.
A Fobra/Nobra always seems to bring out someone who gets all p'dd off about it and starts quoting Cobra stats. That said, I never heard that Roush did Indy convertibles for the 94 year, I was under the impression that Ford made a couple to actually pace the race and the rest were automatics called Festival cruisers. Did Roush actually produce the pace cars?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-GT View Post
Sorry I came off as PO'd. As a retired old Army MSG I sometimes can be...too direct. Don't have a Cobra, don't need to defend it. I was just noting that the vehicle in the pictures, while beautifully prepared, was probably not a Cobra.

From what I was told and researched, Ford gave the convertible Cobras to Roush Racing to prep for the Indy 500. I believe that the Cobra that Parnelli Jones drove (the actual pace car) had a 5 speed in it, but the other parade cars were autos. And they had AODs in them, not the AODE. Now, having said that, I wasn't there in the building, have not actually seen one, and am only repeating what I was told and read through research.

Crusty and retarded....errrrr.....retired US Army MSG, signing off.
Ahhh, that explains it.. US Army MSG; people like you were always telling me what to do. Just kidding, ex army air defender here, got out in 92 after the gulf war ended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement