Anyone try cam bolts to fix camber issues? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
This space for rent

Trader Feedback: (51)

Anyone try cam bolts to fix camber issues?

Long story short my car is lowered and starting to eat the inner tire shoulder a bit. I know the car needs alignment but I was trying to hold out until I could score a set of CC plates. Well I still can't afford CC at the moment but want to get the car aligned. So, could I use those cam bolts to get me by for now? I completely plan to buy a nice set of CC plates when funds allow but I don't want to eat up any more tires in the mean time.

I'd appreciate any insight from someone who has used them. I have my stock CC plates slid as far as they'll go to eliminate negative camber but it's just not enough, I can look at it and tell it's still too much negative camber!

1999 Mustang Converted to 5.0 Sold

"This is the internet, where men are men, women are men and kids are FBI agents, trust nothing!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (34)

I would think of it this way CC plates run 200 bucks maybe another 70 to install or a pair of tires runs 250 atleast and then you will still need the cc plates just buy the plates and hope you will still have some life left in the tires.Stan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

I use both on mine. The bolts are a great $30 fix. In my case, it lets the CC plates set up more toward the center of the car which gives me max clearance to the body with a coilover setup. Just using the CC plates alone caused interference.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruslow View Post
I would think of it this way CC plates run 200 bucks maybe another 70 to install or a pair of tires runs 250 atleast and then you will still need the cc plates just buy the plates and hope you will still have some life left in the tires.Stan
Not sure you read my post thoroughly.

NoSlo, thanks for the heads up. I will get the bolts and see what happens. If it will get me withing spec I'll be a happy camper. The bolts and alignment together won't cost half as much as a set of CC plates!

"This is the internet, where men are men, women are men and kids are FBI agents, trust nothing!"
Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (8)

Just an FYI, the inner-edge tire wear's root cause is toe problems, either the static toe setting isn't right, or the suspension is letting it toe out when the car is underway. The camber is simply concentrating the resulting wear into a smaller strip. The bottom line is, you can set the camber wherever you want, but if you don't address the underlying toe problem, all you're doing is moving the wear around the tire.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Just an FYI, the inner-edge tire wear's root cause is toe problems, either the static toe setting isn't right, or the suspension is letting it toe out when the car is underway. The camber is simply concentrating the resulting wear into a smaller strip. The bottom line is, you can set the camber wherever you want, but if you don't address the underlying toe problem, all you're doing is moving the wear around the tire.
I see. I know the alignment is out of whack. When I did my 5.0 conversion I used your DIY alignment guide thread to get the car as close as possible so I could drive it. I've actually been driving it for a year now and the inner tire shoulders are just now wearing out! And I put over 10k miles on it so I guess my home alignment was descent.

I was just holding off on getting a professional alignment until I could get some CC plates. I'm going to take my car to an alignment shop in a couple days and take the cam bolts with me. They can install the bolts if needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement