Cooling Fan Question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Cooling Fan Question

When the car has been sitting overnight (engine cold), when I turned the key and start the car the cooling fan turned on and stayed on. The next day now the fan does not turn on when the car has been sitting and the engine is cold. Which is correct, should the fan run immediatly when you turn the key or does the fan not kick in till the engine temp reaches around 200+ degrees F?

Also where does your coolant temp gauge sit when your car reaches operating temperature? Does the needle sit in the middle? I'm assuming that the thermostat is factory on my car.

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #2

The fan shouldn't kick on when the car is cold and first started unless you have the AC or Defrost knob turned to on when you start the car.

- 95 GT - Aluminum Heads, Cam, TMoss Cobra intake, S-trim, SCT BA2400, 55's, Longtubes, McLeod bell, TKO-600, 3.55's, etc
- 02 GT (Wife's Toy) - Auto, 4.10's, Lowered, Off Road X, Predator Tuner - 13.6@102
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Also fan on in mix (defrost and heat).
Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

Both above answers are correct.

~~

Also, to add and answer your other questions:

1) the factory fan setting does not turn the fan "on" until I believe the temp has reached upwards of 221*. The stock dash "idiot" temp gauge is not accurate at all - as every 94/95 5.0 will show a different needle location on the stock gauge, some registering hotter, some cooler. The absolute best thing you can do is add an aftermarket temp gauge which will show actual numeric temp readings. There are even radiator caps now w/ temp sensor & numeric readings on top of cap OR you can get a hand held laser temp reader to read the engine temp by pointing at thermo housing, hoses, engine etc...

2) a cooler thermostat will not have any real bearing or benefits in a 94-95 5.0, unless the owner has the car manually tuned via the EEC (ie: shop, or user hooks up to EEC and manually adjusts the software parameters for fan turn on/off temp settings). Stock thermostat should be 195*, if it's still a stocker in your car. If N/A, don't go with a thermostat any cooler than 180*.

3) IF the fan is NOT turning on (once it reaches optimum turn on temp OR by you moving the HVAC control knob to A/C, Defrost or Mix), then there are (4) possible reasons for failure:

A) The CCRM module - black box which is mounted next to the factory coolant overflow bottle retains the relays for the fan & fuel pump. It's quite possible the fan relay has failed, which will prevent the fan from turning on. Fix is to either bypass the relay entirely by using an aftermarket fan controller OR putting together your own manual switch harness OR by simply replacing the CCRM module.

B) The fan motor has seized. If this has occured, you won't be able to manually spin the fan blade. Fix is to replace entire fan unit with same, similar or aftermarket (in most instances, the most cost efective method, over trying to replace just fan motor).

C) The connector that plugs into the electric fan has melted. This is/was a common problem w/ the 94/95 5.0 electric fans. Check the connector, pull it off the fan and check for any melting/burns or cracks on the actual male connector and for any damages at the female socket on the back of fan. There was a fix kit available through Ford which contained a new connector and instructions to fix. I do not believe there was ever a recall, but I think there was a TSB which outlined the problem as well as the correct method to fix & proper part #'s for any parts needed.

D) Easiest to check - blown fuse. If the fuse blew out, there's a short causing the circuit to pop a fuse. Check wiring, connector at fan, etc.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

Thanks for all the feedback and I will look into it further.

This is what seems to be happening. Car has been sitting overnight, cold engine. I connect the negative terminal on the battery. Then I turn the key, I hear the cooling fan running (the climate control knob is on "off"), then start the car, the fan is still running. I shut down the engine after it has been running for about a mintute. Engine not even close to operating temperature. I then turn the key, and the fan doesn't run, then start the car and the fan isn't running. I am going to assume the fan will kick when the temp reaches 200+ degrees F. I just haven't idled the car that long yet to reach that temp.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (8)

The Ford spec on the fan is low speed at 221* and staying on until the temperature falls to 200*. Fan on high speed at 230*. It's been years since I've had the stock ECU in my car but I seem to recall the fan cycling on for a moment when the ignition is turned on or was that just when you start the KOEO diagnostic test? I was thinking that if the low fan relay is sticking that may explain why the fan comes and stays on when first started cold.

KB 2.1L @ 9psi, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Built AODE and TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
Old 07-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

digging up an older thread.... mine is doing this, I don't have the AC pressure switch hooked up, could this be the problem?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (0)

Mine will not turn on either, but does during the KOEO test.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (2)

The fan may NOT turn when the a/c or dedrost is on

The only comes on when discharge pressure reaches the switch closing point

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement