For those with E8/Rio Red factory paint - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

Question For those with E8/Rio Red factory paint

Just a quick question for anyone who truly knows the answer...

94 Cobras, which were "red" were known to be Ford paint code "E8" and the actual name of the color was/is "Rio Red".

I was taking pics the other day of my Cobra and wanted pics of the actual BUC tag behind the headlight. So, upon seeing the tag (which I saw many times in the past), I saw the following stamped on it (but never took notice of the word):

"VERM" - which was also stamped in close proximity to the actual paint code "E8".

Now, this has peaked my curiosity... IIRC, wasn't there a batch of 93 Cobras which were painted "Vermillion" Red, instead of the known Vibrant Red?

My Cobra is a very early 94 build (January 1994 and it's SVT Build # 0013). Is it possible that even though the paint code is definitely E8, that the actual color was or is "Vermillion Red" instead of Rio Red? Does anyone know if the actual name (Rio Red) was changed to Vermillion (or visa versa) at some point during production, however, Ford kept the same paint code (E8)?

Any of you who have red 94/95 Cobras, can you take a peak at your BUC tag and see if the letters "VERM" are also on yours too? I just don't know what else that word would be in reference to, especially being right next to the paint code.

I would think that if my car was truly Rio Red, that "Rio" would be stamped on the buc instead of VERM... ??????

My BUC tag:

1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe

Last edited by Cobra Jet NJ; 09-20-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Mine to has the E8 verm on its tag and it was built in 06/94
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (23)

Based on what I've found at auto paint stores; E8, Vermilion Red, and Rio Red are all the same thing. E8 is the paint code for Vermilion Red anywhere you look. Although at the time ford said it was Rio Red. But they are the same color from what they told me at the paint shop. I hope this helps.

306 - FTI AFR 165, FTI Cam, FTI Ported Holley Systemax Intake - 12.01 @ 117.2 - RIP....
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (3)

On the subject of E8, Does anyone know if the E8 paint code is three stage? My old bodyshop explained to me that there is a base coat and a tint coat then clear which is why it is hard to match.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
On the subject of E8, Does anyone know if the E8 paint code is three stage? My old bodyshop explained to me that there is a base coat and a tint coat then clear which is why it is hard to match.
Thats what I have heard too.... which is why Im sooo pissed that Ford used such #####ty materials on our cars.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (17)

I think the three stage is only the E9 Laser Red. Mines at the paint shop right now getting a repaint.
E9, VERY expensive paint! Locally the base and red tint through PPG/Ditzler was $600 for a 2 gallon mix, 1 gallon of each. Then add clear. You're up $1K for paint.

ProSpray via mail order, base and tint was $400 and I can get good clear for about $125 a gallon.

Found a shop that would tape and spray after I did all the prep, for $750 including paint. Dropped it off Sunday evening and I'm sitting on pins and needles hoping it looks OK. I'm not expecting show car quality, just hoping for nice even paint that all the parts match when put back together again.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
I think the three stage is only the E9 Laser Red. Mines at the paint shop right now getting a repaint.
E9, VERY expensive paint! Locally the base and red tint through PPG/Ditzler was $600 for a 2 gallon mix, 1 gallon of each. Then add clear. You're up $1K for paint.

ProSpray via mail order, base and tint was $400 and I can get good clear for about $125 a gallon.

Found a shop that would tape and spray after I did all the prep, for $750 including paint. Dropped it off Sunday evening and I'm sitting on pins and needles hoping it looks OK. I'm not expecting show car quality, just hoping for nice even paint that all the parts match when put back together again.
Sounds like a good deal. Let us know how it works out.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (1)

Rio and Vermillion are the same. The factory is base clear but the paint shop can also mix it in single stage formula.(Good for small touchups)
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #9

yes rio and verm are the same paint code they changed it in 94 like the es code (vibrant red) vibrant red was actually not called vibrant red after 93 it switched to performance red, just like rio red
Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (12)

Same information I have, same paint code, different name.
2001 Cobra vert # 2001 SOLD
Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #11

Lots of good info here.

E8 when looked up is called Vermillion Red (aka Rio) Tri-Coat.
Confirmed it was tri-coat when I had a shop repaint my fading tail lights. Matched perfectly.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian95GT View Post
Lots of good info here.

E8 when looked up is called Vermillion Red (aka Rio) Tri-Coat.
Confirmed it was tri-coat when I had a shop repaint my fading tail lights. Matched perfectly.
Hmm, that's a good idea.. mine are fading and starting to look ugly >.> How much did that cost u?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (11)

E8 is a tri coat paint , however PPG and others have a single mix formula that is very very very close to a perfect match only thing is it wont have a darker shade when looking in certain light , thats why if you look in the paint books it has a foot note ( to be used for complete recoats only ) meaning painting the whole car , here is a pic of my wifes car using the single mix formula which saves about 600 bucks on materials when doing a complete recoat

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Wimbledon View Post
Hmm, that's a good idea.. mine are fading and starting to look ugly >.> How much did that cost u?
See....this whole deal now makes me feel bad. It was a buddy's father's shop and all he asked for was a carton of Marlboro's. It was very small cans of paint used, but took a boat load of time to tape. Said he had fun doing it.

The bad part is that he died from cancer that started from the lungs shortly thereafter. I feel that since I paid him in cigarettes that I helped perpetuate it. I have to keep telling myself that the guy used to paint in the 60s and 70s with no mask on. I loved that guy.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GRNLX View Post
E8 is a tri coat paint , however PPG and others have a single mix formula that is very very very close to a perfect match only thing is it wont have a darker shade when looking in certain light , thats why if you look in the paint books it has a foot note ( to be used for complete recoats only ) meaning painting the whole car , here is a pic of my wifes car using the single mix formula which saves about 600 bucks on materials when doing a complete recoat

IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/2002blgt/Zi6_0596.jpg[/IMG]
You did SUCH a great job on restoring that car.... so jealous. My rio red car looks like crap and I cant get around to it until I finish my other car.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GRNLX View Post

IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/2002blgt/Zi6_0596.jpg[/IMG]
You did SUCH a great job on restoring that car.... so jealous. My rio red car looks like crap and I cant get around to it until I finish my other car.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

Wow - thanks for the replies fellas!

So, was the name change something internal to Ford, or was it possibly due in part by the paint supplier to Ford?
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement