Squealing sound - Throwout bearing ? Clutch cable adjust ? Videos inside - HELP - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (19)

Question Squealing sound - Throwout bearing ? Clutch cable adjust ? Videos inside - HELP

Car: 1994 GT Stock 5.0, BBK long tubes, high-flow cats, dynomax exhaust.

Hey fellas, got my new clutch installed using stock cable, a UPR firewall adjuster and triple hook quadrant. New pilot bearing and throwout bearings were installed also. I am using the last hook on the quadrant (farthest from the firewall) and the clutch cable was tight when I installed it into the end of the clutch fork. The firewall adjuster is out about 1/4" from the firewall.

After staring the engine for the first time i noticed a squeal. The squeal goes away any time the clutch pedal is pressed in. Is this a bad throwout bearing? Or do I need to readjust the clutch cable?

Idling:

Driving:

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
'04 Mystichrome Cobra | Stiegmeier Stage IV Ported Blower, TB & Plenum | 2.8 Pulley w/ LFP Idlers | AFCO Heat Exhanger | SCT BA-2400 MAF | C&L Inlet with K&N FilterPak | JLT Oil Seperators | MGW Shifter | Stainless Works 3" X-Pipe and Cat-Back with 40 Series 3" Flowmasters | 490 RWHP/466 RWTQ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

If a squeal, chirp or sqeak goes away when depressing the clutch pedal - and the noise reappears once the clutch is disengaged - 99% of the time, yes, it's a throw out bearing issue.

When you installed the new TOB - which brand was it - and was it an all steel TOB or not?

Did you lube the following areas:

Clutch fork where TOB is inserted
top of clutch fork pivot ball stud
TOB bearing retainer on front of tranny where TOB rides
add any additional lube or grease to the TOB (some come packed well, others not so good)

The most recommended and best TOB to use is the Centerforce TOB. I never use the TOB's included w/ most clutch kits as 95% of the time they turn out to be duds that need to be replaced prematurely (squealing, chirping, squeaks). My CF TOB has been in the Cobra for many years now, never an issue, never a sound.

Timken used to have nice TOB's (when they were 100% all steel), but as far as I know, the last Timken TOB I had seen, they are no longer comprised of all steel, they have plastic bodies now (cost savings I guess). The rest of their bearing line up is excellent, but I'll never buy another of their TOBs unless they go back to the old style.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe

Last edited by Cobra Jet NJ; 02-16-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

The throwout bearing was from a UPR King Cobra kit. However I have a national bearing TOB sitting in a box in my garage.

I actually did not lube the clutch fork where the bearing is inserted or the clutch pivot ball.

I did lube the bearing retainer and and a small amount in the TOB itself.

A rebuilt z-spec T-5 is being installed tomorrow, I will make sure a new TOB is installed and lubed.

Thanks for your time and info!
'04 Mystichrome Cobra | Stiegmeier Stage IV Ported Blower, TB & Plenum | 2.8 Pulley w/ LFP Idlers | AFCO Heat Exhanger | SCT BA-2400 MAF | C&L Inlet with K&N FilterPak | JLT Oil Seperators | MGW Shifter | Stainless Works 3" X-Pipe and Cat-Back with 40 Series 3" Flowmasters | 490 RWHP/466 RWTQ
Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

Are you sure the clutch cable is adjusted correctly? You could have too much tension.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (93)

throw out bearing. mine does the same thing and its brand new.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_tiger15 View Post
Are you sure the clutch cable is adjusted correctly? You could have too much tension.
I thought about that, its my first time with a firewall adjuster and triple hook quadrant. Any guides on proper setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_cobRa View Post
throw out bearing. mine does the same thing and its brand new.
Ughhh, really? Did you lube it up as Cobra Jet NJ suggested? I really don't want to hear that annoying squeal.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (93)

yep brand new all lubed up squealed right off the bat. the sound goes away with just the weight of my foot on the pedle
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygeo View Post
I thought about that, its my first time with a firewall adjuster and triple hook quadrant. Any guides on proper setup?

Ughhh, really? Did you lube it up as Cobra Jet NJ suggested? I really don't want to hear that annoying squeal.
Turn the firewall adjuster clockwise (to loosen the cable) so there is a gap between the cable and adjuster. Hold the cable away from the adjuster, very slight tension when pulling. All you have to do is eliminate the slack between the adjuster and where it contacts the cable.

I recently fixed my friends squealing issue by adjusting the cable correctly, and cutting a zip tie the held the away from headers (it was no where close to begin with). It was like magic I cut the tie and the noise went away, and could play a tune by moving it back and forth.

If I remember correctly Maximum Motorsports recommends everything I just told you (which is what I learned after installing there parts). They say the less bends and kinks the better, which is why there cable doesn't come with a bracket to bolt the cable to the original location.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (22)

+1 with tiger. Sounds like mis-adjusted clutch cable...
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #10

PROBLEM SOLVED!

It was a bad throwout bearing. Replaced TOB when I swapped in my rebuilt z-spec T-5 today and no noise what so ever. Very quiet now.

Thanks for everyones input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement