Driveline vibration: with a twist 94 GT 5 speed coupe - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Driveline vibration: with a twist 94 GT 5 speed coupe

Hey guys, Ive got a driveline vibration and Im REALLY stumped at this point. I have done my homework, but I really need someone else's opinion here. My vibration is a harmonic. It appears around 40MPH enough to be really annoying. As I speed up, it goes away until about 65-70. As I approach 70, it gets loud and it seems to vibrate the entire car. IT DOES NOT go away if I speed up, it only gets SCARY. I have replaced the U-Joints, I have replaced my tailshaft bushing (YES in my garage the hard way) and I have indexed my driveshaft to all 4 different positions. Some orientations are better while others are worse, but none fix it. The driveshaft and tires I have now were in a convertible I had just before this coupe. The vert ran smooth as glass up to 140.. wouldnt go any faster. Alright. So there you have all the pieces. I suspect the problem lies in the rear end.. somewhere. What does anyone else have to say about this? Im willing to do whatever has to be done, but my funds are limited. Im a high school kid.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (93)

I have gone through 2 different driveline vibrations. Both apeared somewhere around 55-70mph and got worse the faster I went. The first time it was my pinion angle (after installing double adjustable uppers) the second time which was about a week ago after a clutch install. I put a used clutch in my mustang and re-surfaced my flywheel. So you would think it was the clutch or flywheel right? wrong... it was the driveshaft that somehow got knocked outa balance during the swap?? haha Replaced with a aluminum one and no more vibrations. Here are some culprits:

harmonic balancer <-- easy to check
unbalanced flywheel or clutch
loose trans input/output shaft
u-joints
driveshaft <--swap with a buddy's to check if avaliable
pinion angle <-- should be fine if using stock control arms
unbalanced wheels/tires

could possibly be motor/trans mounts but I doubt it.

Good luck... nothing I hate more than a damn vibration!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (8)

Check your transmission crossmember mount, it sounds like it might be loose or broken.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

When you replaced the u joints did you mark the pieces so they would go back the same place on driveshaft? 180* out can cause vibration.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (3)

i have a vibration too when going about 60 mph or higher and i think its the driveshaft from doing my rear end swap to 4.10 gears so i think ill go with an aluminum one and ill see what happens.
1995 Mustang GT- bbk cold air intake, bbk lowering springs, kyb adjustable shocks, bbk rear sway bar, gripp short shifter, king cobra clutch, bbk shorties, bbk O/R X pipe and flowmaster catback,summit t-lokwith jegs 4.10s and 17" cobra wheels. current ET 13.8 @ 98 MPH on Nitto NT-05r's.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #6

just found out tonight my vibration comes back at around 100, although its not near as bad as it was around 70+ before the driveshaft.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (17)

Check tires, brakes, balance on your rims could also be out, motor or trans nount also,

x2 on the engine dampner theres a little rubber piece that likes to wear out and cause havoc
Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (34)

Make sure it is vehicle speed related and not RPM related. It sounds as if you have done so... Get up to 50-60 MPH, take the trans out of gear and push in the clutch.. that should eliminate everything forward of the trans output shaft. If it's in the trans, you'll feel it primarily in the shifter radiating out. If you feel it in your seat, it's out of the rear end. If this is the case, I'd suspect the inner (large) pinion bearing, if that goes out it will cause some pretty horrific vibrations. Most balance and runout issues will come in at 50-70 mph and at least partially go away as you get faster FWIW..
Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #9

bent axle, driveshaft oob
Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Check your transmission crossmember mount, it sounds like it might be loose or broken.
Are you referring to the rubber mount or the actual crossmember? I need to check for a similar vibration that is speed related and not RPM.

Anyone tried out the new billet trans crossmember? Will this only invite more vibrations into the cabin?

(sorry for the hijack).
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (0)

I just took the car to have tires and wheels all balanced today as well as get an alignment. The vibration is still present.

I am 100% sure its in the driveline (behind trans) bc when im going along, it doesnt matter what gear im in as long as its about 70mph. If i let off the gas or push the clutch in, it gets worse. I think this is because there is no tension to hold WHATEVER is loose tight.

The car has been lowered.. and Im REALLY REALLY trying to avoid buying those control arms.. im in high school and 200 bucks is not easy to come up with, although I did take it to the shop today it was for a good cause. I did get lifetime alignment an my dad said he would pay for the balance. It does ride smoother at 65, but thats not the vibration i was chasing.

Yes i marked my driveshaft and yokes when replacing u joints- the vibration was present even before doing that. I replaced them with Duralast gold U joints and it helped...some. After replacing my TS bushing the vibration improved even more but still prominent @75. I WANT IT SMOOTH ALL THE WAY UP!

I have read that people lower mustangs ALL DAY LONG and dont have any problems for thousands of miles. Why should this be any different? my UPPER control arms are factory, but the lower ones are from BBK. However, I REALLY dont think that they are the cause. IF my pinion angle is off, is there ANY other way to fix it than those damn control arms? Cuz I need new tires too :/ They balance out fine, no vibration, but im down to the wear bars in the back.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I am still unsure of where to go from here. Getting the rear end checked out is a really big deal, as I dont have much experience in that area. The driveshaft ran FINE in my ol vert, so i dont think its that. Im guessin yall are right- either pinion angle or a bearing (dear god please no) It drives me insane not being able to drive a babe around without desperately trying to hide the vibration!!! hahaha

OH! and PS- the tranny mount is FINE. Ive had the trans out myself a few times to do the flywheel resurface and press plate resurface- damn centerforce clutch! Its still outta balance... very slightly. How irritating.

Last edited by grayriverrat92@yahoo.com; 02-08-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (8)

Time to check your driveline angles. Trans to driveshaft, driveshaft to pinion.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (19)

Was this ever resolved??
ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune
Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #14

mine ended up the being the driveshaft that was 1/2 the problem. the other 1/2 was the flywheel after it was re-surfaced.

alum driveshaft and new flywheel made it smooooooth as butter.
10.6@127 1.51 60ft N/A
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #15

Cool. I'm having the same problem and am researching a solution.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #16

vibrates in nuetral while reving it or while your driving? did the vibrations come out of nowhere or aftere changing parts?
10.6@127 1.51 60ft N/A
Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #17

Identical problem to the poster's. Speed related. Same old TKO I've had since 05.

<Not trying to hijack>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement