AFM PMS tuning issues - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (4)

AFM PMS tuning issues

I bought a series 4 pms about a week ago for my 94 gt, it doesnt really have the mods to justify having it but i plan to add an S trim later on so I bought one now to learn on, anyway when I hook the PMS up and its all Zeroed out the car cuts out at 4000 rpm like its hitting a revlimiter but the RL is set to 7000 rpm, so I added a base tune i found on stangtuning.net, still does it, so I unhooked it, car runs like a dream. any thoughts as to whats causing this?

Ive added my own tune and the same ole stuff.

my mods are pretty simple its basicly a 94/95 Cobra motor with CAI and full exhuast with a Stock gt cam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (9)

Ignition box on it? Because that is pretty standard equipment recommended by AFM when running PMS on a 94-95 car. Not sure why, but my car did that too and stopped after I added a MSD.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBiggs View Post
Ignition box on it? Because that is pretty standard equipment recommended by AFM when running PMS on a 94-95 car. Not sure why, but my car did that too and stopped after I added a MSD.
Nope stock ignition. has a blaster coil but other wise stock.

well crap. now ive gotta get another dang part. thanks though.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (11)

Ditch it and get a Quarterhorse or chip it
Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GRNLX View Post
not an option.

Im sick of paying for tunes and I already have the PMS so im not changing, ive seen alot of very happy people with this product, so im sure mine is user error.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (37)

Which rev limit is set to 7,000? There are two places to set a limit, make sure they're both set.

Stand alone turned off?

Did you post over at stang tuning? They're the best place for this type of q.
316 RWHP & 335 RWTQ // 3,225 lbs with driver and fuel // 11.919 @ 113.92 All Motor
Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (18)

Needing an aftermarket ignition box is a requirement if you try to go back to the A9L, not sure if it is the same using the PMS. Has something to do with the ignition dwell on the 94/95 cars and it will cut out at 4k.

-95 Cobra SVT #3914 301whp/325 wtq - Sold 2011
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chances50 View Post
not an option.

Im sick of paying for tunes and I already have the PMS so im not changing, ive seen alot of very happy people with this product, so im sure mine is user error.
With a Quarterhorse you wont have to pay for tunes either , and PMS is outdated and WAY OVER PRICED and has less control than a simple chip would offer and you wouldnt have to run an aftermarket ignition just to get it to rev past 4000 rpms

PMS with aftermarket ignition will run you way over $1000 bucks
Quarterhorse with BE software and AEM wideband from summit runs about $530 bucks

PMS will give you PMS before you get it tuned right IMO

Last edited by 93GRNLX; 08-25-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #9

Its your money and time LOL , have fun with it , I have used 2 PMS units , both had issues with lossing the settings after 3 or 4 key cycles they would blank out and reset to all zeros and you would have to adjust it back to the previous settings before you can even drive the car .......I shouldnt have to tell you guys how aggravating that crap is
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (40)

Yes you need an ignition box on 94-95 cars when using a PMS.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #11

I bought the PMS for $500, its paid for. I was going to go with QH but your not figuring in the total cost you have to have a Laptop as well so theres another $300+.

IM planning for a blower so I would be buying the MSD box anyway.

your honestly the first person ive seen complain about the PMS, everyone else that has one loves it.

Ive got the stock 94 g computer what ever that is.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #12

94 GT Computer is the T4M0. Plenty of ppl complain about the PMS after they see what guys with the QH or even the older Tweecer doing with laptops in their driveways. PMS is a band aid for the stock computer, QH or tweecer (or dyno tune and chip) is a permanent fix. But you already got it like you said.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #13

word. ill get the msd box and see what its capable of, if im not happy i can always sell it and go with the tweecer.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #14

Don't buy MSD, get a Crane HI-6. MSD products are absolute trash.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GRNLX View Post
sorry to sound like a newbie but whats a quarter horse?i looked in jegs and summits catalog and didnt see anything....and whats wrong with the pms...asking cause i was considering going that route.thanks for the help guys...sorry for the highjack..
Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (17)

for having "trash" on my car ie: MSD digital 6 and a PMS....ran my first pass on a 150 shot last night ...9.81 @ 138...i have 7 passes on this 6 are n/a tuning, got the a/f spot on and made only one n2o hit so far. on the other hand my buddy was there with his F1R procharged 393, he uses a QH and has over 30 passes and 10-12 dyno runs and has had nothing but issues with it, too much to learn...and dont forget it has ZERO stand alone capability. even though the QH is a much more capable program it stll relies on a 1980s processor to work..he did run a 10.10 @135 but is still having issues. the pms has a processor at least designed in this decade. its retarded easy to use and did i mention i have no dyno time?? unless you count the 1320 section i use to tune.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon 95 View Post
sorry to sound like a newbie but whats a quarter horse?i looked in jegs and summits catalog and didnt see anything....and whats wrong with the pms...asking cause i was considering going that route.thanks for the help guys...sorry for the highjack..
Quarter Horse is a Chip/tuning program you download to a laptop and tune your car this way. its like Tweecer from what i understand, all are great systems i wont say a bad thing about any of them, ive never used them so i have nothing good or bad to say, ive seen great results with all.

THe PMS on the other hand is the easiest to use from what ive been told, since ive got mine id have to get in with that bunch it is very simple.

here is a link to the moates.

http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-f....html?cPath=50
Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonemad View Post
for having "trash" on my car ie: MSD digital 6 and a PMS....ran my first pass on a 150 shot last night ...9.81 @ 138...i have 7 passes on this 6 are n/a tuning, got the a/f spot on and made only one n2o hit so far. on the other hand my buddy was there with his F1R procharged 393, he uses a QH and has over 30 passes and 10-12 dyno runs and has had nothing but issues with it, too much to learn...and dont forget it has ZERO stand alone capability. even though the QH is a much more capable program it stll relies on a 1980s processor to work..he did run a 10.10 @135 but is still having issues. the pms has a processor at least designed in this decade. its retarded easy to use and did i mention i have no dyno time?? unless you count the 1320 section i use to tune.
Ive heard good and bad about MSD, ive had an MSD distributor leave me stranded more than once. but ive never had any issues with the 6a boxes.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #19

MSD is hit or miss for it to actually work properly. I had a 6A box for awhile and it still works... However, if you've ever seen the inside of one it looks like a 6 yr old hot glued it together (probably the case over in China) while the Crane stuff is very nicely put together and soldered properly.

Yeah MSD distributors suck for reliability.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #20

Ill look into the Crane stuff im all about stuff being reliable.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #21

Trader Feedback: (37)

Been using a PMS (the model with the the handheld that looks like a game system) for years without any issues. My only two complaints are lack of control below 2,000 rpms and the lack of control of fan temps.

Can the quarterhorse or tweecer be setup with boost controls, N2O controls, a two step or other misc switched accessories, setup to log data off a wideband? I wouldn't know for sure, but I somehow doubt it...

Each has their weak points

All I know is my 94GT starts up, idles and runs like a bat outta hell, all using a PMS. In fact right now I have two tunes stored in mine, one setup for bracket racing and the other for the full power tune, both work fine and load / unload fine. All without booting up a laptop. This isn't to say I haven't used my laptop to make changes, have a screen setup with live reading of all my info, or used for datalogging when at the track.
316 RWHP & 335 RWTQ // 3,225 lbs with driver and fuel // 11.919 @ 113.92 All Motor

Last edited by FastGT94; 08-26-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #22

Trader Feedback: (2)

Talk to Rick at Anderson he should set you straight.

Alot of people running the PMS with great results. I am running one which was tuned by Jimmy C and my car runs great.

Pictures and Information:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/subtlebeast1
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #23

ive got a buddy that had one on his fox made a hair over 900rwhp and go 20mpg. which is why i bought this one.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #24

Yes the QH can setup to datalog a wideband and as far as boost or nitrous , you make separate tunes and put a switch cable on it and it can control the fans
Old 08-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #25

im just looking for the easiest route...doesnt have to be the cheapest...just the best and easiest for a newb to use...blown 306..afr185..tfs r intake..ed curtis cam...with an si trim...havent figured out what boost level to go with...i want so get just enough out of it to have max fun without worries of the block splitting...not really wanting to do the aftermarket block route.this will be zero balanced and have all the appropriate hardware and great gaskets to keep it together for along time..so any addvice on tuners for a newb and boost levels is appreciated..

Last edited by reddragon 95; 08-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtlebeast View Post

Alot of people running the PMS with great results. I am running one which was tuned by Jimmy C and my car runs great.
checked your link....nice ride...what are you thoughts on the whole procharger vs vortech debate...does ati make enough power to substantiate the cost difference...or is vortech the leader on the street..
Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #27

Trader Feedback: (17)

i was a newb to self tuning as of this year, and now have a decent amount of seat time with the moats and the PMS...for a retarded easy learning curve the PMS has no competition, and with the "interaq" software it links to your laptop for complete data logging capabilities. As far as a wideband i have had a autometer and now i have a zietronix ZT1...and yes i can justify the slight cost different of the ZT1 it also has very very detailed data logging capabilities but very labor intensive to install (requires splicing of 8-10 sensors) if east is you thing not a shred of doubt the PMS. like i said in the last post i have 7 passes with it prolly making around 600 at the tire, and plan on running another 150 shot on the combo in my sig...i am a happy camper with it so far.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtlebeast View Post

your looks amazing, ive got bullitts on mine they are 17's im wanting to get some DD rears, now you have me wanting 18's.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #29
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (10)

4k is most likely where stand alone is triggered to come on... thats your problem..

815-669-RACE (7223) <--- Sales

Please visit our e-store ---> www.blowers4less.com <---

Chicagolands largest Vortech dealer since 2006!

We stock many parts! If you dont see it, just ask!

Before you buy ANY mustang part, give us a chance. We accept mastercard and visa.
Authorized SCT, AEM, Diablosport, Vortech, Paxton, BS3, FAST, UPR, PA Racing, Harland Sharp, Team Z, GMS, Trickflow, Kooks, and MANY MORE!

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...logocorral.jpg
Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #30

Nope standalone was set to come on at 2000/20%, it also does it when standalone is off.

and its not like it just has a hickup it totally goes haywire and almost stops running and backfires through the exhaust when i hit 4k. and above.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #31

Trader Feedback: (51)

coil
Old 08-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408wd1 View Post
coil
it runs great without the PMS hooked up, so its not the coil.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #33

Trader Feedback: (9)

DAMMIT why did the old Stangtuning have to go away.... it was a PRICELESS resoruce for us PMS guys.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBiggs View Post
DAMMIT why did the old Stangtuning have to go away.... it was a PRICELESS resoruce for us PMS guys.
Yeah it sucks, as soon as i bought this the site crashed. everyone has told me to go there and i have but not much info there anymore.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #35

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon 95 View Post
checked your link....nice ride...what are you thoughts on the whole procharger vs vortech debate...does ati make enough power to substantiate the cost difference...or is vortech the leader on the street..
Thanks for the compliment.
I had a D-1 on my old combo and I hated the brackets and the fact it ran off the serp belt. I am happy with the YSi now. I ended up getting the Anderson kit with the YSi, PMS, Inj Driver, and power Pipe. It was a good deal at the time and alot cheaper than going the F-1 route. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with either an ATI or Vortech.

Pictures and Information:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/subtlebeast1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement