How to install fuel pressure gauge - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (27)

How to install fuel pressure gauge

Looking to install fuel pressure gauge on my 94 cobra. Not sure where to install the sensor and if I need a special fitting or anythign to get a accurate reading. I assume it has to be ounted at the FPR or after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (69)

remove the pin from the schrader valve assembly...sssssllllllooooowwwwlllllyyyy so that you depressurize the fuel system while removing it. wrap the threads of the electrical sending unit with teflon tape or coat the threads with liquid teflon tape. after that its just running wires. I chose to run mine across the transmission tunnel, through the shifter bezel rubber boot, out the left/front side of the center console and up under the knee bolster plate then up along the drivers side A-pillar.
-1995 Cobra #182/4005; 283hp/ 293tq, 221k miles, Roush intake, export parts
-1996 Mystic Cobra #1666/2000; 351hp/309tq, 216k miles, built 284, H/C/I, ARH, Mezeire, LMAF, JLT, MM suspension
-1993 Mustang LX, 2.3L w/ T5 conversion, AJE/MM suspension w/ 8.8, 03 Cobra steering/brakes, 271k miles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #3

you will need a special screwdriver type tool to remove the pin from the center of the valve.
-1996 Mystic Cobra #1666/2000; 351hp/309tq, 216k miles, built 284, H/C/I, ARH, Mezeire, LMAF, JLT, MM suspension
-1993 Mustang LX, 2.3L w/ T5 conversion, AJE/MM suspension w/ 8.8, 03 Cobra steering/brakes, 271k miles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #4

thanks, I will look into the screwdriver. Do most of the fuel pressure gauges come with the fitting needed?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
thanks, I will look into the screwdriver. Do most of the fuel pressure gauges come with the fitting needed?
The short answer is no. As well you may not be able to locate an adapter to thread onto the schrader valve. I found that it was easier to remove the schrader and thread in an adapter. IIRC you want a 1/16 to 1/8 NPT fitting. As far as wiring, I ran the leads (protected with wire loom) to the firewall and came into the cabin at the grommet on the driver's side and over to the kick panel and up to the A-pillar. Took switched power from a lead in the steering column and tapped into the driving light lead behind the kick panel for night time illumination.

KB 2.1L @ 9psi, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Built AODE and TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the help, I will give it a go
Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (41)

OR, you can just get a fuel pressure gauge and mount it to your fuel rail.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (2)

also if you have a good aftermarket FPR, which most come wth an aux 1/8" port that you can tap for a gauge...... it will give you a more accurate reading then one taken off the schrader valve too.....
Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Stinchcomb View Post
also if you have a good aftermarket FPR, which most come wth an aux 1/8" port that you can tap for a gauge...... it will give you a more accurate reading then one taken off the schrader valve too.....
I don't see how you will get a more accurate reading from the FPR than the schrader valve fitting; the fuel pressure is constant throughout the rail.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (5)

Hey Toyman do you remember were you got that fitting (1/16 to 1/8")? I've been looking for a 90* elbow that would fit in place of the shrader valve and then attach to a -4 braided stainless line that ultimately hooks up to my gauge that's located on the cowl. The smallest size they have at all my local hardware stores seems to be 1/8" as far as pipe threads go. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks
Stock Block, Twisted Wedge's Minor stage1 port & polish, w/ complete TFS valvetrain 1.6" rockers, F303, Street Heat, S-trim (stock pulleys all around)and (stock bypass), AFM powerpipe--saw 10psi at 5800...MAC 1 5/8" shorties, o/r H-pipe, catback.
New Combo in the Works, Gross Net: alot of F*ckin Headaches
Same stock lower end and heads, Undecided headgaskets, and/or O-Ringed or not, New Custom Jay Allen Camshaft (ground specifically for TFS-R Manifold, K-motion Valve springs, possibly new 10-rib set-up (to achieve max impellar speed at 5800-6000 rpm, and possibly some L/T's (1 3/4" to 3" collector and mid-pipe) and a Mondo Bypass
Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-trimmed View Post
Hey Toyman do you remember were you got that fitting (1/16 to 1/8")? I've been looking for a 90* elbow that would fit in place of the shrader valve and then attach to a -4 braided stainless line that ultimately hooks up to my gauge that's located on the cowl. The smallest size they have at all my local hardware stores seems to be 1/8" as far as pipe threads go. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks
Here ya go

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-trimmed View Post
It was a local parts supply (Hydraulic Equip & Supplies) that had to order the item. Here's a link to Edelbrock

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...dapt_fit.shtml

The item you want is #76555 under the heading Pipe reducer bushings.

Check the yellow pages under Hydraulic Equip and make a call.

KB 2.1L @ 9psi, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Built AODE and TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement