The ways to tell if a Mustang is ACTUALLY a 94/95 Cobra or a clone. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 94/95 Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (20)

The ways to tell if a Mustang is ACTUALLY a 94/95 Cobra or a clone.

First off let me say 1 thing. I have absolutely no problem with Fobras themselves at all. I think the Cobra emblems and body parts look 100x better than the stock GT stuff. However the problem I have is with Fobra owners who vehemently claim that their car is a Cobra. As a real Cobra owner myself it comes off as toolish and obnoxious to me... Maybe I'm just being an ass? W/e...

I decided to post this because I called a guy on his BS a few days ago and he got all pissed off for really no reason. IMO if you pretend to have something you don't then don't get all mad when someone calls you out on it. So here are the things to look for in SN95 Cobras. This also might serve as a guide to help ppl who want the whole Cobra look to get it right...although there is one dead giveaway that you can't change.

Ok I'll start with the outside. And yes I know that all the body parts can be swapped out and changed and that a real Cobra might have changed over to all saleen stuff(blasphemy!) or w/e.

-Cobra logo obviously but anyone with a Fobra will have changed this.

-Only 95's had the SVT badge so if the car has the 95 side skirt piece(the one that connects the side skirt area to the front fender) and no SVT badge you have a Fobra. Cars that do have the badge and the 94 version of those side pieces might just have got the badge to add on. The SVT badge is the narrow script one BTW not the newer blocky one.

-The very rare and elusive 94/95 specific Cobra wing. This wing has a third taillight in it and raises up a little in the middle. It came on all 94/95 Cobras ONLY. This is usually something that isn't swapped out on a Fobra.

-Cobras do NOT have a third taillight in the trunk lid.

-The REAL 94/95 Cobra rear bumper cover is a plain old "Mustang" bumper cover. The bumper covers saying "Cobra" didn't appear till 1996. If a bumper says "Mustang GT" then its not a Cobra. However many Cobra owners, myself included opt to find the 96-up bumpers and use them since they look 100x better.

-94/95 Cobras do NOT have the big nostril Cobra hood. It is a plain hood. Again, many Cobra owners and non Cobra owners alike change hoods so w/e. I just point this out in case someone tries to use the hood as an arguement.

-The Cobra front fascia is different than the GT but ppl can just upgrade this.

-94/95 Cobras had a running pony in the grille area, not a Snake. Alot of ppl upgrade this but having the snake can't be used as an arguement.

-Cobra rims from 94/95 are a little different looking than 96/97 cars and totally different from the 98 rims. Obviously the 95 R had the "cobra" rims that EVERYONE seems to get.

Inside

-Cobras have an airbag that says COBRA on it. This is almost always something that isn't changed on a Fobra.

-White face gauges but this is an easy switcheroo.

Engine/Other

-Cobra intake obviously but make sure it is the one with the built in curved neck, not the straight Fox or repro one.

-GT40 heads. They'll have 3 bars on the back if you can see back there...

-Valve covers have COBRA stamped onto them and should have an assembly sticker on one of them saying the motor is a Cobra motor.

-Cobras have a factory oil cooler which is easy to see. Alot of guys choose to delete this though.

-Computer says J4J1, NOT T4M0

Again, alot of this stuff is changed and alot of ppl do NOT leave their engine bays stock. However if the engine looks stockish these are things to look for.

And the ONE HUGE GIVEAWAY...

The VIN. ALL 94/95 Cobras have the letter D as the 8th digit of the VIN. If it doesn't have a D as the 8th digit it IS NOT a Cobra no matter what is said. This is the way I've proved my car is in fact a Cobra on more than one occasion and something you HAVE to look for if you're buying a "Cobra" to make sure you're not buying a well done clone.

Sorry if this came off as a rant. I think it is sort of educational and a good list of things for potential Cobra buyers to keep an eye out for. I've seen cars advertised as Cobras that weren't and I hope nobody actually paid extra thinking they were getting a snake.

-95 Cobra SVT #3914 301whp/325 wtq - Sold 2011

Last edited by SilverSmith82; 03-06-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Trader Feedback: (4)

Garage
Yes you sound like you're ranting.

All this has been covered before, many times.

You forgot the COBRA on the master cylinder and if the car has the original radiator hoses, they say COBRA on them also.

The easiest way to tell if you are "with the car" versus pictures is obviously the D in the vin. Why would you even look at anything else first if you were going to buy one? Check the VIN. It's a Cobra or it's not a Cobra. Then work down from there as to how far it has been altered.
Then there's that SVT Certificate you didn't mention...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #3

Sticky!! haha... Good thread, great info... You sure do know your cobras!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (72)

u forgot on the inside that cobras came with leather wrapped steering wheels and a leather wrapped e-brake handle and in the glove box the tire placard sticker will say cobra on it. also, cobras came with 255/45/17 tires whereas gt's came with 245's. and the cobras came with 24lb injectors versus the gt's 19lb injectors.
95 Cobra #1679
Copy and paste link for my 363 thread
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1283537-fordstrokers-363-pics.html
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (11)

13" Brakes in the front, 11.65 in the rear! Its kind of a big deal! Also, tranny is different

Keven
Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

As for the black specific COBRA valve covers - ONLY the 1995 Cobra's came with the silver assembly decal. The 1994 Cobras do not have this decal.

GT40 heads will have the 3 bars on the fronts of the heads and also on the top corner of the heads you should be able to spot or see the word "GT".
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #7

Well I was bound to forget some things. The injectors I left out on purpose, you really can't check them. Totally forgot about the hoses and I spaced the brakes too.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #8

Another thing the flywheel is supposed to be lighter as well (but you cant see it so it's not a real "giveaway". Also correct me if i'm wrong aren't the seat frames made of magnesium (sp?) Also cobra's had a leather wraped shift knob to go with the steering wheel and e-brake handle. But like said before if it don't have a D in the vin it aint real.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (5)

Aren't the 24 pounders a different color than the 19 pounders? The ford 24 pound injectors are blue I think... Kinda another good giveaway.
1995 Yellow GT, 3.55, Torsion T2 diff, 5-speed swap, 04 Cobra IRS, MM subframes, GT500 dual mode exhaust, MM tubular FCA, MM coilovers, Bilsteins, FTBG bushings, Corbeau A4's, aluminum driveshaft, drives on rails.
Next step Coyote 5.0!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (11)

Yeah orange is 19s, light blue is 24s, dark blue 36s, green 42s, I would know because Ive had them all.

Keven
Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (2)

Like stated, just check the VIN lol.
94 Oxford White GT. 18" Saleen wheels with BFG Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, etc. 89 Oxford White Notchback. Chrome Pony Wheels, Full exhaust, Pulleys, yadda yadda yadda, 94 GT Vert (Stockish cruiser)
Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (3)

So i am a proud "Clone" of "Fobra" owner, so I am not a poser as you can tell from from user name LOL. My car already had alot of the Cobra stuff on it when I got, so I added some things to finish the look. My car actually already had the Cobra steering wheel when I bought which like stated before, most do not. When people tell me nice Cobra, and I get that alot, I am quick to correct them and say that its a GT. I don't have a real Cobra but yes I agree, I hate when people say they have a Cobra and its really not.

Another thing that I believe is just for the 94-95 Cobra's is that they are only available in red, black, or white, so if you see one that is a factory color and is not one of these colors, then it is also a fake. Mine is actually a clone of a '98 as that was the only year for yellow for our body style Cobra and mine also has the 96-98 bumper and taillights. Of coarse the 5.0 is a dead give away that mine is not a '98 LOL.

Here are a couple pics!

Last edited by yellowclone; 03-07-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jet NJ View Post
As for the black specific COBRA valve covers - ONLY the 1995 Cobra's came with the silver assembly decal. The 1994 Cobras do not have this decal..
If you're talking about the sticker that says where it was assembled and the phone number to call if you have problems......... It's on mine and it's a '94.
Black 94 Cobra #2615 Incon Twin turbo, AEM
Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #14

Since we're listing everything:

"Cobra" floor mats
17" spare
Clear headlights
underdrive pullies
shorter belt for underdrives......original belt has "cobra" on it

I think there is a body tag on the radiator support by the drivers headlight has "cobra" stamped on it
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra2615 View Post
If you're talking about the sticker that says where it was assembled and the phone number to call if you have problems......... It's on mine and it's a '94.
What is your build date?

My Cobra's production or build date is January 1994.

I'm the 2nd owner to my vehicle and it was 100% stock when I purchased it and it never had the "engine assembly" decal on the valve covers. From what I have read in multiple books & on forums with regards to that decal, it was only on the 95 Cobras. If you have that decal, I'm wondering if your Cobra is a late build 94...? Do you have the SVT emblem on the trunklid (mine never had this emblem either)? This too was another item that was not on the initial build of 94 Cobras, but did make it onto late 94 and all 95's.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (1)

Bottom line: paperwork. Provenance is undesputable.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #17
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra2615 View Post

Some did. Mine was built May 20 and it DID have the sticker. At the SVT Experience in 2000 my engine bay was photographed and Tom Schreiner was going to use it for the update to the SVT Cobra recognition guide, if the unfortunate hadn't happened.

It always had the SVT too as far as I know, (3rd owner since 25,000 miles in 1999), however my car was not titled until 1995 because it was in a showroom, so I am sure the SVT was added as a dealer upgrade...

But anyway, if you want to identify a Cobra, just look at the VIN. There is no substitute for a D engine code, and you can verify the VIN on most of the body panels off the car, nearly every one of them has a VIN sticker.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (45)

I did not see these Cobra only items mentioned.

- 160MPH Speedo
- Steering Wheel is a little bit thicker than the regular leather GT
Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jet NJ View Post
What is your build date?

My Cobra's production or build date is January 1994.

I'm the 2nd owner to my vehicle and it was 100% stock when I purchased it and it never had the "engine assembly" .
Mine didn't have the SVT emblem on the back.

I am the 2nd owner and it was 100% stock when I bought it too (bought it in '96 with 22k miles)

I don't have the build certificate close by and can't remember what it is. I'll have to check next time I'm out in the shop.

Last edited by 94cobra2615; 03-07-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (16)

I called SVT before I did the trade.

The buck tag is behind the driver's side headlight and it has "Cobra" stamped on it.

I got my certificate from SVT on Tuesday. My car was built on Dec 21st 1994 and was 421 of 4005.
10 Taurus SHO- Performance Package, K&N filter
Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #21
Authorized Corral.Net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (76)

Hey, I'm a Fobra owner and I don't pretend to have a Cobra (notice the Mustang GT badges) but I just couldn't see myself buying a Cobra when I knew I was going to modify the hell out of it. Plus, I love the look of the Cobra body panels.

See ya
Michael Plummer

94 Mustang Faleen (Fake Saleen)
ProCharger D1 and Water/Methanol Injected
844rwhp and 752rwtq SAE
Old 03-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #22

Trader Feedback: (144)

Mine had the decal for engine assy plant on the valve cover and did not have the svt badge.

My car is a 94 cobra with lots of 04 cobra flavor. LOL.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #23

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldtang View Post
Mine had the decal for engine assy plant on the valve cover and did not have the svt badge.

My car is a 94 cobra with lots of 04 cobra flavor. LOL.
94's did not have the svt badge.
lol i called the cobra number on my valve cover and it was like a singles line! 1 800 cobra es
Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #24

Trader Feedback: (1)

Well there ain't that much of a difference, but my stang can hang and beat alot of Cobras with simple bolt on's. But one question why bust out mustang owners when we all one team? Let's worry about chevies.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 195venom View Post
94's did not have the svt badge.
lol i called the cobra number on my valve cover and it was like a singles line! 1 800 cobra es
I know that.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #26

Question

Ok well here is my .02 worth:

1.) I have a '94 Cobra and it had the sticker on the valve cover on the diver side.

2.) How in the hell do I go about getting a build certificate. I am the third owner of this particular cobra so it was minus a few things when I got it.

And now I am gonna sound really stupid but here goes...I am thinking about getting a used Eaton M90 out of a super coupe and trying to retro fit it into the snake but I have A LOT of questions. Like...Is there an aftermarket braket kit so mount say above the or at the same height as the alternator? If not how expensive is or would it be to get all the brackets fabbed up? Any help that could be provided would be great!!!! Thank you in advance.

Steve
Old 03-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #27

Hey nevermind i just started a new thread sorry for the confusion. I am a newbie ROFLMAO
Old 03-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #28
Administrator

Garage
I have 1994 Cobra #2240, it has the sticker on the valve cover. I bought the car when it was nearly new in 1995.

I have a '99 Cobra SVT badge on the trunk because I like it.

I have a 1995 Cobra R style hood because I like it.

I have 2003 Cobra rims on the car because I like them.

I have 2000 Cobra R Brembo brakes on the car because... I like them.

Did I mention I like that non-'94 stuff, it's my car, and I really don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks??
Old 03-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #29

Yeah but you don't go around claiming you have something you don't which was the original point of my thread/rant. As I said I could care less if someone has a Fobra. Most guys do like the cobra stuff better, just don't go claiming you have a real cobra if you don't. But you do so the point is moot anyway lol.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #30

Trader Feedback: (3)

I went with '96-98 cobra front and rear bumper covers, cobra fender badges, cobra grill badge and the blocky svt badge for the trunk as well as '96-'98 tail lights.

I like it. I'm no more impressed by a real cobra vs. a GT let alone a GT with cobra badges.

If I were to get rid of my 4" cowl, would probably go with a big nostril cobra hood.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #31

little off topic, but does anyone know where the abs computer is on the 94-95 cobra's?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #32

Same here, might as well post...heres my frobra...most people compliment me on my "Cobra" until i either pop the hood or they see my steering wheel or guages. Im all shaved so its hard to tell, its funny tho how people dont notice that i still have none cobra headlights

*(thats another point that was left out of the list- cobras had like a clear finish headlight)*
and my non cobra breaks but hey i just correct them that its a gt

Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #33
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
little off topic, but does anyone know where the abs computer is on the 94-95 cobra's?

Isn't it over on the passenger side by the CCRM and the distribution block near the petcock on the radiator?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@GLD View Post
Isn't it over on the passenger side by the CCRM and the distribution block near the petcock on the radiator?
The abs pump assy is there. What controls it?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #35
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
The abs pump assy is there. What controls it?
Never had reason to find out. Try following the harness wires backwards, may lead you the answer? I know there's an ABS-test interface over by the distribution box (electrical, not brakes)
I have a factory service manual but it's out in the garage somewhere and I just moved and ####'s not all unpacked yet or I'd go look for you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement