Ford Mustang Forums banner

Anybody tow with a Gen 1 L? MPG? Issues? ETC

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SVT Russ 
#1 ·
Anybody tow with a lightly modded Gen 1 Lightning? How about a modded one? How do the E40D's hold up? Towing in overdrive okay? I have had a 99 F150 Lariat, a 00 XLT Expedition, a 00 F150 XLT, and a 00 Eddie Bauer Expedition, all 5.4's, and want to try something different possibly. Something that should have a better torque curve/gearing, and something that I can possibly play with on the side and have a little fun with.

I would be pulling around 4800-5300 pounds when I do tow (open car trailer and a car), sometimes 600-1100 miles in a day. Never had a problem in any of the 5.4 trucks, except for air ride on the Expeditions, and general lack of power on hills.

#2 ·
towing

Go to NLOC. Look up Paul, screen name "punisher". This cat is a E4OD guru. He builds a few, and does a valve body that he sells. I have the valve body, and it really made the shifting so much better than stock. Shiftsnice under light acceleration. slam the gas to the floor, and it will get second gear rubber everytime.
Good luck, Sean

#3 ·
I own a lightly modded Gen 1 that I've had for the last 14 years. I've towed a trailer carrying a car, and it was fine.

Just make sure to find a Gen 1 that has the factory tow package, which includes the larger radiator, trans cooler and oil cooler, and of course the trailer hitch with wiring.

According to the folks at NLOC, towing with OD is not recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.