Ford Mustang Forums banner

Fuel Cell leaking from sump fittings

7K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Kato Engineering 
#1 ·
How do you guys keep the fuel cell from leaking from the sump fittings? I am using 2 -12an fittings, so I had to enlarge the stock holes a bit, however its a tight fit for them.

#2 ·
Usually you use a teflon washer on the inside and outside of the cell (both sides of the bulkhead fitting).

I used a metal washer with a viton seal built into it and it sealed perfectly.

#4 · (Edited)
I got it from a local store that deals with a lot of hydraulic fittings and supplies. I can swear that I actually saw one in an autoparts store too (although I doubt it would be the diameter to fit -12).

Let me take a look and see if I can find some.

This the closest thing I can find.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...=Go!&QueryString=1tuz8&submit.x=40&submit.y=9

I can't guarantee it is the same thing.

If you can't figure out anything, I can go by the place and pick some up for you.

#7 ·
That's actually a flexitallic gasket with a graphite winding. Not sure what you're wanting to seal (I don't quite understand the original poster's problem) but that gasket will take a LOT of force to get a seal. It's made for pipe...industrial pipe and flanges.

#14 ·
Mine leaked on my poly call. I just replaced them with teflon washers like it came with and the cell has not leaked sense. Have you tried just replacing them?

Jess

#15 ·
how did you enlarge the hole...??

is the surface for the sealing washer FLAT AND SMOOTH...

steel washer with the impregnated rubber or buna or viton is still the best overall....

#16 ·
Turbojunky-I have not tried replacing the nylon washers. I may have novi357 get some of the washers he is using.

Kato- I enlarged the holes using a die grinder and welding grinder tool ( can't remember official name). Yes it flat and smooth and a tight fit.

#19 ·
the best type of nut are those that have a counterbore in the face...this will allow the outer hex part of nut to dig in to the washer and create a "ring" of sorts....
this is better than if the nut was totally flat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.