Ford Mustang Forums banner

Installing Intake manifold: does anyone use the fel-pro rubber end seals in the kit?

13K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  66mustfb 
#1 ·
Just wondering what most people do to install the upper and lower intake manifold?

Thanks

#2 ·
Some do...some don't.
Do a search on "installing lower intake" and you'll get a ton of info on this subject.
Good luck!!

#6 ·
Noooo! and some others are cork. Those inserts can blow-out, sometimes.

Get a can of Permatech "The Right Stuff", or other quality silicone and run a thick bead at the front and rear. That's all you need.

Then put it on and bolt it down.

That's it.

#8 ·
i had already bought the RTV just wondering if it was necessary but it seems like it is. thanks for the help

#12 ·
Me too. The silicone rubber seals work GREAT! I tried the RTV instead of the silicone gaskets and the RTV didn't seal for me. I think the silicone gaskets are a much better way to go.

DO NOT use cork, though. Those things are crummy.

#15 ·
Rightstuff here. Been using it for a long time. Before that it was Ultra Black. Would never use any manufacturers end seals as they all eventually start leaking. Using RTV atleast gives you a semipermanent bond. Only times it wont work is when the beads arent thick enough, the intake and block are still oil (and not clean) or the person installing it slid the intake and smeared the bead.

#16 ·
Do you guys use the RTV in lieu of a gasket across teh front, or are you laying down a bead, putting on the gasket, then dropping on the manifold?

I assume the RTV IS the gasket, right?

I'm putting my 5.0 back together later this week, so this is a nice refresher.

It's been a LONNNNGGGGG time since I've had to do this. (Since I moved to a modular...)

Thanks,
Alan

#17 ·
For me - first choice is the rubber seals - clean/smooth surfaces, lubricate the seals with a bit of light grease. Second choice - completely coat the cork version (lightly) with high temp rtv. Last choice - a bead of RTV. If you've had the heads/block/intake milled -- a bead of RTV may be your only option.

#18 ·
I've ALWAYS ditched the end seal gaskets and used a nice thick bead of RTV copper instead. Like others have said, let it tack up for 20 minutes then drop the lower intake straight on. Torque the bolts and let it sit over night before you fire it up. No worries.
Jim

#19 ·
I've used the rubber ones that are made into a sort of C shape to keep them sitting on the block ends with good results so far. Just a dab of RTV in the corners where it sits against the intake to head gasket and no problems. The cork ones I throw away and use RTV.

#21 ·
I guess I'm a minority here. I used the cork ends because they stay in place better than worrying about the RTV sealing all the way around. I also use CAT high tack sealant that is like cement, they will never leak with that stuff.

#25 · (Edited)
I think I counted 3 "Right Stuff"

I make four and besides the Right Stuff the only other sealant I use is Yamabond. BTW on the virgin 89 I just pulled down the rear gasket wasn't even making good contact on the block from the factory!!!
Almost forgot, some folks have been dimpling the blocks sealing rails with a center punch for years to hold both the gaskets from moving.

#26 ·
I've used both, rubber and cork but always with a bead of silicone. Never had a problem with either so I'm not partial to any of them. The trick is to get the silicone and gaskets situated properly. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.