Ford Mustang Forums banner

Whats the best ford cam for a 351w. NO BS

56K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  mastrdrver 
#1 ·
Whats the best ford roller cam for a street 351w GT40 motor for about 5300 rpm? Tell me why and show me your combo/numbers. And no I do not want a custom cam.:)

#6 ·
TFS stage 1 rocks in mild 351w!!!!

#9 ·
Here is my set up. It's a 69 351W bored .030 with 69 351 heads (untouched). It has Speed Pro Flat top piston. It has 9:5:1 compression. It also has a hydraulic flat tapped Crane cams duration @050 216in 228ex. valve lift .484in .512ex, 1.6 Scorpion roller rockers, MSD distributor. Moroso spark plug wires. Edelbrock RPM air gap intake (untouched) with Holley 750 Double Pumper. I have a C6 trans and 3.73 gear. I shift at 5100RPM and the best so far is 12.62@106

#10 · (Edited)
Hot Rod did a artical a few years ago with a honed 5.0 Performer upper to a truck lower, E303, R heads, 75mm tb, and hooker 1 3/4 lt. It made 458tq @ 4000 and 400hp @ 5000. They did it with 11:1 compress with 87 pump gas. They build a long rod 351, but you can make the same power without it, that I'm sure of. Swap the heads for some AFR 205 or Dart 210 and your gold.

#11 ·
NUTTSGT said:
I think that'd be too small for a 351W.

I ran one with edelbrock rpm heads and intake, 351w, TFS 1 cam, 750 holley, yada yada........

FRICKEN RROCKET on the street!!!!!!!

#13 ·
project1988 said:
Whats the best ford cam for a 351w. NO BS
project1988 said:
And no I do not want a custom cam.
So what you are really saying is I want to compromise what I am doing.
I find the "No BS" thing very funny followed up by no custom. That speaks volumes.

Do you have a hydraulic roller block? If not, are you going to use the Crane link bar lifter so you can at least use a std base circle camshaft? If not, do yourself a favor and use a hyd flat tappet camshaft with a std base circle.

Good Luck!

#16 ·
I would stick with a cam that's specific for a 351 rather than a 5.0 piece. A 351 with it's longer stroke requires different valve timing than a 5.0 for max efficiency. Sometime compare the specs for Ebrock Performer RPM cams for a 302 and a 351. Same lift and duration but opening and closing points, lobe separation, intake centerline are all different to take advantage of the 351s longer stroke.

#17 ·
$300 is the same as some of the better cams though. So it's not that much. If you don't want an alphabet cam there are not many other choices in hydraulic roller cams except for the Trick Flow cams. So if $300 is too much, the no BS answer if probably the F or X cams, or the TF Stage 2.

I'm not flaming you either, cuz I may be in the same boat. I was considering going carb and solid roller on my 351w (trailer car) but am now flirting with staying EFI and adding a blower later. That means much smaller cam for me if I want to smog and register the car. Which basically puts me in the same situation as you. Do you need to pass emissions?

#19 ·
I got my Crower 15512 on Ebay with less than 100 miles on it. I paid $125 for it. Combine that with 1.7 rockers and I've got a nice, moderate cam for my 351. BUT, if I had to do it over, custom cam all the way.

#20 ·
If you would consider a flat tappet cam (as a lot of roller block 351w's came with including the 95 Cobra R) - I used the A351 Ford Racing cam. It has nice street manners with a 5750 shift point. I am running it in a long rod 351w (yes I can run 87 octane - with 10.75:1 - and I get 25mpg). With that cam and desktop dyno ( knowing all aspects of the engine) - I put 417 to the wheels with ported Windsor JR heads, Performer RPM intake and matching carb.

Otherwise I have some experiece with a B cam and 1.72 roller rockers (516 lift) that did very well on a 351 with GT-40 heads (unported) and intake. He shifted around 5500 rpms - very quick and idled nice with a little lope. Good brakes pressure as well.

#21 ·
You could try a TFS stage 2 cam. Don't know if you'll have enough p/v clearence, but if it does it is better then the letter cams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.