Installing Intake manifold: does anyone use the fel-pro rubber end seals in the kit? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

Installing Intake manifold: does anyone use the fel-pro rubber end seals in the kit?

Just wondering what most people do to install the upper and lower intake manifold?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (43)

Some do...some don't.
Do a search on "installing lower intake" and you'll get a ton of info on this subject.
Good luck!!

stocking out 11/13
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (8)

i just clean the block real good,run a bead of blue rtv across with extra rtv where head and block meet.wait 20 minutes or so until the rtv gets slightly tacky and drop the intake on.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (37)

Personal opinion:

Ditch the rubber end seals and pick up a can of "The Right Stuff" RTV style silicone from a local parts store supplier.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (128)

RTV...
Old 11-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

Noooo! and some others are cork. Those inserts can blow-out, sometimes.

Get a can of Permatech "The Right Stuff", or other quality silicone and run a thick bead at the front and rear. That's all you need.

Then put it on and bolt it down.

That's it.

'91 Mark VII SVO - 347, H-beams, AFR 185's, X-303, Trk Heat intake, T5 rated@650HP, 24# inj, 70mm meter/TB, 3.73s, Shortys, X-Pipe, 2-1/2 Flowmaster 40's, 190 lph, HD sway bars, Poly's & more... visit - lincolnsvo.com
'02 Deville - Driver
Old 11-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

RTV all the way, the end seals eventually WILL leak, no matter if they are the cork or rubber ones. The silicone just peals off when you change manifolds and completely seals the ends.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 PM   #8

i had already bought the RTV just wondering if it was necessary but it seems like it is. thanks for the help
Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (31)

Clean both front and rear of the block good and lay down a NICE and THICK line of RTV.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #10

the stock seals suck and can cause int leaks when milling has been done, I always throw them in the trash and use RTV.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (42)

I use the silicone rubber seals all the time with a dab of silicone at the head on each end - never had a leak yet.
88GT Vert 5spd 3:73,Crower 15511 @ 109,70mm MAF w/19# injs,70mm TB,GT40P 1.85/1.55,Jet-Hot P headers, H pipe w/dumped Flows (no more drone),Holley SMII intake.www.fastlanecars.comhttp://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoss View Post
I use the silicone rubber seals all the time with a dab of silicone at the head on each end - never had a leak yet.
Me too. The silicone rubber seals work GREAT! I tried the RTV instead of the silicone gaskets and the RTV didn't seal for me. I think the silicone gaskets are a much better way to go.

DO NOT use cork, though. Those things are crummy.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (5)

I use the rubber seals, yet throw away the cork ones. The rubber ones I have found have locating tabs that keep them from "blowing out". Never had any leaks. Prepped with a finger of oil (like any rubber seal) and they work great.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #14

Trader Feedback: (38)

Ultra Black Permatex.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #15

Trader Feedback: (8)

Rightstuff here. Been using it for a long time. Before that it was Ultra Black. Would never use any manufacturers end seals as they all eventually start leaking. Using RTV atleast gives you a semipermanent bond. Only times it wont work is when the beads arent thick enough, the intake and block are still oil (and not clean) or the person installing it slid the intake and smeared the bead.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (37)

Do you guys use the RTV in lieu of a gasket across teh front, or are you laying down a bead, putting on the gasket, then dropping on the manifold?

I assume the RTV IS the gasket, right?

I'm putting my 5.0 back together later this week, so this is a nice refresher.

It's been a LONNNNGGGGG time since I've had to do this. (Since I moved to a modular...)

Thanks,
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOMONKEY
If you don't want to take my word for it, maybe you'll believe the internet.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #17

Trader Feedback: (7)

For me - first choice is the rubber seals - clean/smooth surfaces, lubricate the seals with a bit of light grease. Second choice - completely coat the cork version (lightly) with high temp rtv. Last choice - a bead of RTV. If you've had the heads/block/intake milled -- a bead of RTV may be your only option.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (46)

I've ALWAYS ditched the end seal gaskets and used a nice thick bead of RTV copper instead. Like others have said, let it tack up for 20 minutes then drop the lower intake straight on. Torque the bolts and let it sit over night before you fire it up. No worries.
Jim
**Member of the 2-piece Stock Block Club**
Old 11-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #19

I've used the rubber ones that are made into a sort of C shape to keep them sitting on the block ends with good results so far. Just a dab of RTV in the corners where it sits against the intake to head gasket and no problems. The cork ones I throw away and use RTV.
5.0 HO,FMS 1.72 roller rockers, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, Hedman shorties, 2.5" dual exhaust with Impala tailpipes, traction lock with carbon-fiber clutches, 4 wheel disc brakes, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Mark VII LSC SE - triple black, all stock
Old 11-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #20

I used the rubber ones with some silicone in the corners.
They work great.Fel-Pro should include them with every set,not just the ones for stock heads.

Last edited by 8950HO; 11-26-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #21

Trader Feedback: (4)

I guess I'm a minority here. I used the cork ends because they stay in place better than worrying about the RTV sealing all the way around. I also use CAT high tack sealant that is like cement, they will never leak with that stuff.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #22

Trader Feedback: (7)

Ok, ok - I BRAZE the manifold to the block. No leaks. No disassembly. Just throw the motor away and put a new one in when there's a problem....like most everything else these days.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #23

Trader Feedback: (38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Top GT View Post
Do you guys use the RTV in lieu of a gasket across teh front, or are you laying down a bead, putting on the gasket, then dropping on the manifold?

I assume the RTV IS the gasket, right?

I'm putting my 5.0 back together later this week, so this is a nice refresher.

It's been a LONNNNGGGGG time since I've had to do this. (Since I moved to a modular...)

Thanks,
Alan

I use it in the front and the rear of the lower intake in place of the gasket. When it's applied correctly and given the recommended time to cure it works great.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #24

Rubber end seals here.No leaks after 1 1/2 yrs.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #25

I think I counted 3 "Right Stuff"

I make four and besides the Right Stuff the only other sealant I use is Yamabond. BTW on the virgin 89 I just pulled down the rear gasket wasn't even making good contact on the block from the factory!!!
Almost forgot, some folks have been dimpling the blocks sealing rails with a center punch for years to hold both the gaskets from moving.

Last edited by 11Bravo; 11-26-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #26

I've used both, rubber and cork but always with a bead of silicone. Never had a problem with either so I'm not partial to any of them. The trick is to get the silicone and gaskets situated properly. Good luck!
Roller Rockers, triple valve springs, ARP bolts and Studs, mild S.C. cam by COMP CAMS, Cobra upper and lower with spacer, 65MM T.B., 77MM Pro-M mass air meter, 30LB injectors, 3 core alum. radiator, 3.73 Richmond gears, Steeda springs, steeda upper & lower
cntrl. arms, Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, MSD-6BTM ignition, BBK equal length headers, BASSANI X-Pipe w/cats, 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, Tremec TKO trans., SPEC STAGE II clutch, aluminum drive shaft.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #27

how thick does the bead have to be? i layed it 1/4 inch and it didn't seem like it pushed out much.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #28

Trader Feedback: (168)

I was wondering the same thing.... how thick of a bead for RTV only?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #29

Trader Feedback: (35)

I love the little rubber gaskets, they are C shaped so they grab the edge of the block... I blew out my rear seal 3 times, twice with RTV only and once with cork + RTV, finally I put the rubber seal on and it worked perfectly
Old 05-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #30

With which gasket set does the rubber/silicone ends come? Is this the Ford-sourced one?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #31

Trader Feedback: (5)

RTV here.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInAFord View Post
With which gasket set does the rubber/silicone ends come? Is this the Ford-sourced one?

The rubber/silicone ones come in the Fel Pro MS93334 intake gasket set for stock heads for one source.
This intake gasket set contains way better intake gaskets than the crap paper Fel Pro 1250 intake gaskets.

I`m not sure but the silicone/rubber end seals may be available separately from the Ford dealer-check with them to find out.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #33

Trader Feedback: (27)

im another one for the right stuff. i used ultra-black the first time, and did about a 1/4 inch thick bead and had one spot with a very slight leak. second time used the right stuff and layed it on about the thickness of a pen and no leaks what so ever. my heads have been milled slightly though, so my intake sets down a little lower.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #34

Trader Feedback: (123)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoss View Post
+1
Old 05-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #35

Trader Feedback: (3)

I used the cork gaskets. I installed them DRY on a CLEAN sealing surface, with a small daub of Motorcraft grey aerobic silicone sealant where the gaskets meet at the ends. I have had zero problems.

Cork works very well, if you use it correctly.

- Commodore Stephen Decatur, Norfolk, Virginia, April 4, 1816
Sponsored Links
Advertisement