Best year 302? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Best year 302?

Yeah, what year should I pick for my new engine, '86-'95?
And why?

Background:
I'm building myself a really fast street-/strip- car and I need a place to start. In the end I'll need a new block and everything but for starters I want a suitable engine to begin with. I want to get a aftermarket EFI and It'll probably take a while to get the hang of it. No need to blow up a $15000 engine due to bad tuning and general n0ob mistakes.
Plus I'll have a running car while building the freak engine...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

86-95? All are thin cast blocks and will cost no where near $15000 to build. It would be a good idea to start with a good foundation like a dart, world, or boss 302 casting.

478 rwhp @6000 new numbers soon
421 ftlbs @4100
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #3

Ehrrr, well no...

I'm planning on using a Dart Aluminum race block later on with a lot of goodies. That will be the $15000 build.

The stock 302 (the one I'm asking about) will be used to try out the new EFI and to keep the car running while I work on the other engine.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (10)

1969 302

Or a Mexican roller block. <---im not trying to be funny.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (6)

I'm planning on using a Dart Aluminum race block later on with a lot of goodies. That will be the $15000 build.

And you havent even built your first engine?.....

If this is your first kick at it...buy a fresh stock 302..tinker, blow it up, buy another one...tinker, blow it up...

Until you eventually learn what you want...and that way you will NOT have alot invested in your education...
Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (1)

86+ blocks are all basically the same, no real difference one way or the other. The factory pistons differ a bit from year to year, but if you're rebuilding it half the time it'll need to be bored and the pistons will become ashtrays or scrap metal anyway.
5.0 HO,FMS 1.72 roller rockers, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, Hedman shorties, 2.5" dual exhaust with Impala tailpipes, traction lock with carbon-fiber clutches, 4 wheel disc brakes, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Mark VII LSC SE - triple black, all stock
Old 09-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryk View Post
And you havent even built your first engine?.....

If this is your first kick at it...buy a fresh stock 302..tinker, blow it up, buy another one...tinker, blow it up...

Until you eventually learn what you want...and that way you will NOT have alot invested in your education...
I have built engines before, just no V8.
That's why I'm getting the 302, to have an engine in the car and a way to experiment with the EFI (and maybe some other crazy ideas?). At the moment I have a car but no engine.

As for the tinkering bit... I'll have plenty of time for tinkering while I get the rest of the car figured out. The engine is actually the easy part.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (3)

Best 302 Ford ever built:

You won't find any for cheap.

Get any stock 302 engine from the junkyard, they're all the same after 1975. If you want SEFI, stick with the 86-01 ones.

- Commodore Stephen Decatur, Norfolk, Virginia, April 4, 1816
Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomustangz View Post
1969 302

Or a Mexican roller block. <---im not trying to be funny.
ive always wanted to know what the differnce is between an "american" 302 and the "mexican" 302? any one got an explination?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusG View Post
Yeah, what year should I pick for my new engine, '86-'95?
And why?

Background:
I'm building myself a really fast street-/strip- car and I need a place to start. In the end I'll need a new block and everything but for starters I want a suitable engine to begin with. I want to get a aftermarket EFI and It'll probably take a while to get the hang of it. No need to blow up a $15000 engine due to bad tuning and general n0ob mistakes.
Plus I'll have a running car while building the freak engine...
Why do you want aftermarket EFI? What's wrong with the stock mass air EEC with a TwEECer?

Why have you chosen a budget of $15k for your next engine? Why not just pick a performance goal? You can run 10s in the 1/4 and make good turns on the track for a lot less than $15,000. Put $6k into the engine and the rest into the drivetrain and suspension.

If you're new to Fords, the 5.0 has been around a long time, from 68 to 01. Instead of telling you the "best" year, how about you tell us the application? It's hard to go wrong with buying an 89-92 V8 Mustang so you've already got the engine, wiring, chassis all put together for you. If you're sticking this into a Civic, well, then maybe a 5.0 isn't the "best" thing to do.

Dan
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtpwr View Post
Why do you want aftermarket EFI? What's wrong with the stock mass air EEC with a TwEECer?
With Autronic sm4 I get fully sequential fuel and spark. I can controll everything and use a map + tps sensor as opposed to mass air.
Easier to set up, less fragile and it looks good.

Quote:
Why have you chosen a budget of $15k for your next engine?
If I can do it ceaper I'll be a happy man but I estimate $15000 to be a realistic number.

Quote:
Why not just pick a performance goal? You can run 10s in the 1/4 and make good turns on the track for a lot less than $15,000. Put $6k into the engine and the rest into the drivetrain and suspension.
I do have a performance goal: mid 9's in the 1/4.
Enginewise that should equate to +700bhp give or take some? It all depends on traction...
The drivetrain and suspension is getting a major overhaul as well. Heck, I'm rebuilding the entire car from the ground up.
Quote:
If you're new to Fords, the 5.0 has been around a long time, from 68 to 01. Instead of telling you the "best" year, how about you tell us the application?
Street-/Drag- car, Cobra II body with custom spaceframe chassis. (Or back halved car at least)

Quote:
It's hard to go wrong with buying an 89-92 V8 Mustang so you've already got the engine, wiring, chassis all put together for you. If you're sticking this into a Civic, well, then maybe a 5.0 isn't the "best" thing to do.

Dan
No, not a civic.
How come you picked the 89-92 engines/cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement