supercharger carburetor help. why a blow thru? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

supercharger carburetor help. why a blow thru?

Iam in the process of switching my 5.0 to carb and iam looking to supercharge it. what s the differnce on a blow thru carb and a regular carb? do i have to run a blow thru carb if i would only be making 6 lbs of boost? and can a regular carb be converted into a blow thru? any if you have any tips on supercharging a carburetor 5.0 thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosta45 View Post
I am in the process of switching my 5.0 to carb and I am looking to supercharge it. What's the difference on a blow thru carb and a regular carb? Do I have to run a blow thru carb if I would only be making 6 lbs of boost? Can a regular carb be converted into a blow thru? If you have any tips on supercharging a carbureted 5.0. thanks
Why are you switching to a carburetor and then supercharging? Supercharging is much easier with EFI.

To answer your questions: Yes, you do need a carburetor that is prepared for a blow through application.

To help you out further I would suggest going to this website. Once there, use the search function and exhaust all of your questions. After that, post.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (5)

Try this out.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?board=13.0

tons of blow through carb info.

Jess
'90lx with '86 front end and hood. HP turbo kit, 76gts. 357, Windsor Sr. heads, T-brake. 9" with 3.89 gears. 390/45 R15 drag radials on 12" rims. Ladder bars. 8 point roll bar. Mini tubbed with fuel cell. Blow through carb.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #4

a blow thru carb has to have a better controll of bowl venting and such or else the carb will not function as acarb ....but rather be like a mechanical injection...
you can put so much extra pressure in thru the venturi from blower that no fuel will come out...!!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #5

Yes, imagine the draw-through carb's job as it attempts to fuel the engine from vacuum signal, yet is exposed to atmo. It will work but, it's going to be imprecise. The blow through is referenced to the actual airflow coming from the head unit thus, the fuel curve will hit the mark as well as any carb can.

To top it off, a draw through layout is messy, unless it's a roots-style air mover. The prime difference between a blow through carb and regular is solid floats that won't collapse under pressure, and sealed throttle shafts so you don't spray high pressure mixture all over the manifold.

There is nothing wrong with this arrangement but, it sure is easier to do it with EFI and you'll likely make better power and certainly have better driveabilty and mileage using EFI.

P51C
Old 09-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJunky View Post
Try this out.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?board=13.0

tons of blow through carb info.

Jess
Didn't I already provide a link to that?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

EFi is the easiest way to "tune" a combination.

But, the difference in blow through versus suck through carbs. With the Blow through carb, and the vent tubes under pressure, you size the carb to the engine displacement and the boost is applied to the fuel volume as well as the engine, and the fuel curve is boost refrenced.

You have to pay attention when using a fuel pump so that the regulator is also boost refrenced and the fuel feed to the carb is able to overcome the blower pressure in the bowls on the needle and seat.

If you go through a suck-through system, you have to size the carb to the volume of air the blower will move. This requires a very large carb, but idle air speed is usually very low, as is the transition from idle to boost.... so the fuel curve is very difficult to tune. The carbs are usually pathetically fat at idle and part throttle, and work OK at WOT.

FOr blow through, you can use your 600cfm carb on a 302. For a suck through, your looking at 950 to 1250cfm..... to allow the carb to flow the air, and not exceed 1.5" of vacume beneath the throttle blades at WOT. If you have more than 1.5" of vacume below the throttle plates carb is too small, WAY TO SMALL>... and thecarb wont have large enough fuel passages to move the volume the engine is pulling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement