Piston/bore question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (32)

Piston/bore question

When I bought my car I was told that it was a 306. I just replaced my oil pan (long story) and checked the piston numbers and they are TRW E7ZE-CA.After looking them up it looks like those are the stock forged pistons. So I am assuming that its not a 306 but a 302 correct? There is no way to reuse the stock pistons in a 306 is there? Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (15)

a 306 is nothing more than a 4.030 bore, as opposed to the stock bore of 4.00 You are correct, you have a 302, not a 306.

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

if viewed from the TOP,

the top of piston will say in small imprinted characters what size it is.
a "STD" will mean 4.0000 boresize
a "010 marking will mean 4.010" size
a "030" would mena a 4.030" boresize...

some will say the oversize if any on the flat sides of piston next to where the wrist pin goes thru...also, must remove to view...

you COULD just measure the bore with a normal dial caliper ....( available for 30 dollars)........
use it to measure needed pushrod lengths also....

usually,. most do not say the boresize from the bottom....
Old 07-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #4

a engine that is considered a 306 is going to have pistons that are larger than stock "standard"....

MOST people really dont understand what the machine shop or whoever is rebuilding the engine are talking about... and also, many shops CHEAT OR JIP the customer.....

maybe the guy that sold you the engine actually knows...but he lied to you...

maybe the guy that sold it to you was not told exactly correct or was not understood...
maybe HE was cheated or lied to....

as said, you NEED TO MEASURE IT YOURSELF....
Old 07-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (32)

Thanks, I think that its probably a 302 and either he or I was lied to. There is a little carbon build up on the top of the piston,whats the best way to get rid of that (I was told a razor blade). The engine ran great when it was in the car (no smoke or anything), so I will probably just put it back together and use it and build a 351 to take its place down the road.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #6

An E7ZE is a stock 4.00 piston, really no mystery here honestly

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #7

stroke,

can you be positive as to what the number would be if it was a plus .010" or a plus .030" piston...
I AM under the impression that ALL of the pistons have the SAME letter / number code on them and that there is no other way to know for certain unless he measures it...!!!!

I REALLY DONT KNOW...

I DONT KNOW IF oversize pistons are actually available from ford even though they are "listed" in the parts books / price catalogs listings....

and dunno why someone would install an oversize part available / supplied from FORD when oftentimes it can be had from "other" sources a lot cheaper.....!!!!

REALLY.....
Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato Engineering View Post
stroke,

can you be positive as to what the number would be if it was a plus .010" or a plus .030" piston...
I AM under the impression that ALL of the pistons have the SAME letter / number code on them and that there is no other way to know for certain unless he measures it...!!!!

I REALLY DONT KNOW...

I DONT KNOW IF oversize pistons are actually available from ford even though they are "listed" in the parts books / price catalogs listings....

and dunno why someone would install an oversize part available / supplied from FORD when oftentimes it can be had from "other" sources a lot cheaper.....!!!!

REALLY.....
I do fully agree with you, and believe that to be true also, but I highly doubt a shop sourced a ford part number piston in 4.030 bore. I should say I have never run into anyone doing that, but you are correct on that assumption, I should have worded it better.

Make sure to sign up for

Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #9

we USED TO be able to get 4.002" oversize pistons for some of the engines at FORD....for use in a "factory warrenty or rebuild when a cylinder was a little sc rewed up from factory... the DEALER or parts distributor would supply them to us to install...

but have not had the situation come up in ten years to know what they do nowdays when there is a warrenty problem....

maybe they just put the engines in a pile and have them rust away.....???

we DID do a few back in late 1980's FOR THE 1984/5 /6 era engines when there was a recall due to people / owners complaining on that the pistons were making noise( forged pistons in 1986) usually......
the warrenty deal backthen was a total replacement by the dealer....
as said, dunno what happened to repair, but I do know of a guy that was selling a bunch of them for under a thousand bucks back then....maybe that was those....????as far as I know, ..none were "fixed"...

........it is just DRIBBLE.....
Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
I'm NOT Ed!

Trader Feedback: (11)

yep!,you got lied to!,as kato,and stroke stated,if it's a 4.00 bore,and not a 4.030,it's a 302!,also don't always look for a bore size stamp on the piston,I have run into this before where somehow the pistons were not stamped with the bore size on them,possibly a factory f**kup,your thoughts on this kato?
#6257 of 6381 Bolt ons, pulleys, and tuned.
'06 TBSS
K&N drop in, and Borla dual exhaust, for now.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #11

some of the FACTORY INSTALLED oversize pistons have nuthin on them....maybe some would have a small dot or mark dimple.. because after tearing down literally hundreds of stock blocks that were from the 1982 era up untill the latest offerings.... I HAVE FOUND some that had a dimple or a dot..and they were oversize...!!!!

and as another thread has spoken about, have found many that had "old" numbers on the rods... some had "early" style double rib caps, and some were like the flat no rib type....
all were virgin tear downs...
mainly because I SEE that they had FACTORY oil pan or ford inbossed head gaskets....!!!!

i dunno about now, but I KNOW that G.M. (chevy) , has fitted plus 1/2 bearings in quite a few engines because the rod or crank clearances are not "spot-on"....the oil pan rail on the block is stamped with the oversizes....!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 PM   #12
I'm NOT Ed!

Trader Feedback: (11)

I know what you mean on that kato,about the "old" rods,I have those very ones going in my 306 build right now,and they came out of a virgin '80 model block!(I read that post as well)
#6257 of 6381 Bolt ons, pulleys, and tuned.
'06 TBSS
K&N drop in, and Borla dual exhaust, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement