coolant looks like chocolate whipped cream??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

coolant looks like chocolate whipped cream???

It had been run hot one day because the fan did not come on. it was parked and then drained the radiator. It looked like a chocolate milk shake so I filled it up with radiator fluid and drove another couple of weeks toping it off hear and there. Every time I filled it It looked like a layer of foamy chocolate came out till it was full with the new coolant??? has anybody had this problem or know what could be causing it? I was wondering if a flush would get the gunk out or if this is a head gasket issue? Oh I also don't have an overflow bottle hooked up I have it blocked off. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am stumped.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (12)

What does the oil look like? Sounds like a blown head gasket. How does the car run otherwise?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

Did the foam go away? Maybe oil is getting into the water jackets. Is the foam still appearing? If so, it sounds like a blown head gasket.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:43 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

I'd say most likely a blown/leaky HG, discolored radiator fluid probable due to air getting in from the blown HG. Could also have a cracked head which would do the same kind of thing. If your so inclined, you can check for a blown HG by using a compressor to pump air into each spark plug hole,(need a good seal), remove the radiator cap and watch for bubbles/leaking fluid. It could also be a leaky/faulty water pump..you said you were re-filling so I assume your losing fluid. Temps still high?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (37)

If the car's an automatic you can also have the radiator crossover tube for tranny fluid crack. It causes the tranny fluid to mix with coolant and vice versa.

You'd get a milkshake that way too.

For the record: I think it's a bad head gasket, too.

Here's a picture/video of what a bad radiator can cause:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOMONKEY
If you don't want to take my word for it, maybe you'll believe the internet.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (1)

Big Top, that's not a good sign. lol
5.45@126.76 (1.22 60ft) best 1/8 mile
Old 06-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (2)

my temperatures are fine and the car runs fine?? Thats why I didn't think it was the head gasket. It dose seem to drop coolant a little ever time I go to add more there is a one inch layer of chocolate foam but when I top it off I let it flow out and its gone till the next time I go to top it off(usually a week later because I don't drive the car that much)I also don't have the tranny cooler hooked up at the radiator. I have a manual valve body. Oh and this is a new radiator also.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (37)

When a head gasket is bad there are only a few places it can go.

1. It can push a coolant passage into an oil passage. This causes milkshake in the oil pan. (This is the least desirable condition.)

2. You can push an oil passage into a coolant passage. This usually causes milkshake in the coolant. (it can push back into the oil, too.)

3. Coolant passage can push into the exhaust. (If you have to pick, this is the one you want.) This causes the coolant to burn off as steam. Most people usually blame the radiator as having a leak, since it's not all that messy and the coolant disappears.

Personally, I think you pushed the oil passage into the coolant. That's why you're getting milkshake coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOMONKEY
If you don't want to take my word for it, maybe you'll believe the internet.

Last edited by Big Top GT; 06-27-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (3)

What if the oil is kinda milky but the coolant is still nice and green?

I am having a hard time determining if the oil is milky. I took a piece of white copy paper and wiped the dipstick on it and held it to a light. Without the light, the oil is brown but looking through the paper into a light, it looks yellow? Blown head gasket?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (0)

Well, the oil isnt going into your radiator.... the coolant is getting into the oil, so it will look nice and green. As for wiping it on a piece of paper, doubt that will work. Wipe water onto a piece of paper, and it will look the same in the light. Kind of a yellowish tint to it as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement