Who uses Mallory Hyfire products? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (11)

Who uses Mallory Hyfire products?

Hello,

Considering purchasing the digital Mallory Hyfire VI multiple spark unit or the digital Hyfire VIal instead of the MSD digital 6 or the analog MSD 6al with the TFI mallory coil...

The main reason I am adding either is to go with a novi 1000 blower as a spark based rev-limiter as opposed to the factory fuel limiter.

I know that Anderson Ford Motorsport installed the multiple spark on the project car they have been doing in 5.0 mag lately.

Anyone use these products or have any bad experiences with them? They seem to have a lot more bang for the buck compared to the MSD units.

Thanks!
Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

Andrew, you're going to get mixed reviews on both those, but I'll give you my story-
I had 3 Highfire 6's, only one made it to a 3k oil change before going bad and being sent back. I switched to MSD, so far so good.

I'm sure others will have the same story but with the msd failing. Keep in mind too, that the rev limiter in trhat Mallor VI isn't a soft touch. I don't know if it matters but it sure doesn't sound very good if you hit that rev limiter. lol good luck! Oh, and i had constant idle isuues when the Mallory WAS working as well.
1995 gt, 5 spd,306,gt40 y303 heads,tfs stage 1 cam w1.7rr's, tfs street heat intake, 75mm tb, 80mm pro m, 30lb injectors,longtube headers w/ or hpipe and flows, upr lca's & uca's, fms c springs,3.73s chrome bullitts w10.5 rear & 275bfg dr's.powerdynew/10lb pulley & sct tune by prospeed.410rwhp402tq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #3

exactly the feedback I was looking for! Thanks! Anyone else?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

I have used both the Mallory and MSD. The Mallory worked great then just one day died. The MSD units seem to last longer. Look at all of your Nascars and who they use, it seems they all use MSD boxes.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (16)

My Mallory died after a few months, luckily i used their TFI harness so all I had to do was swap connectors to get it running again. Has anyone ever sent one back to get repaired? What usually goes wrong in these ignitions when they die?

Brian
Old 03-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #6

Are you guys referring to the digital Mallory box that has the LED display (that's what I have)? If so after how long did it die? No probs w/mine so far...just curious for future reference
Old 03-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (7)

I've been running the HyFire VIA for three or four years now without problem. As mentioned above, you'll get mixed reviews. The MSD unit I had before that only lasted a few months. I made up a shorting plug using a mating connector in case this box goes bad. I just unplug the box, plug in the mating connector, and drive home. The Pertronix module in my distributor allows me to do that.
70 Maverick Grabber, 5.0 (Performer RPM 2.02/1.6 heads, RPM intake, Comp XE266HR roller cam, 625 cfm Street Demon, EDIS/MegaJolt ignition, long headers), T5Z w/Steeda TriAx shifter, 9" "N" case Trac Loc w/3.89:1, 31 spline axles.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (3)

waht about the Crane Fireball Hi Dig 6??

I have had 2 MSD fail on me. one 6AL and one digital 6 plus.
93 Black Mustang Cobra-R356ci, Victor 300cc heads, Sup Vic
Old 03-04-2007, 02:22 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstruckman50 View Post
I have used both the Mallory and MSD. The Mallory worked great then just one day died. The MSD units seem to last longer. Look at all of your Nascars and who they use, it seems they all use MSD boxes.
LOL, they all also have back ups hooked up for when the first MSD fails.

Scott
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #10

i have used many of both brands and had failures with both,I prefer the mallory digital readout unit simply because of the extra boxes you don't have to buy from msd and no chips to change. Lamar
Old 03-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (4)

I use the mallory digital 6 (pn 685) I choose it over the msd because it has so many features built in, 2 stage limiter, window switch, rpm switch, start retard, boost retard... etc.etc
00 Chev Corvette FRC - 5.7L
Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott88 View Post
LOL, they all also have back ups hooked up for when the first MSD fails.

Scott
Yup...their "MSD" boxes fail A LOT! I had a couple MSDs go bad on me so I went w/the Mallory digital box this time...no probs. And the digital LED display makes things much more convenient.

Also like mentioned it has A LOT more features; LED display, digital rev limiter (no dials), built-in adj boost retard, etc)...all for almost $100 cheaper than the MSD dig box. Ignitions aren't completely predictable so it can be hit & miss.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #13

I have used many Msd boxes with many failures, I have switched to the Mallory 6 series boxes with no problems in with them and I have had one in service now for about 3 years. Best change I feel that I have made yet. No added boxes or clutter, no chips, and just as easy to install. I really like the all in one switches on the Mallory boxes.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (9)

Just by listening to the problems that are had with MSD and Mallory, I would recommend a Crane HI6. I've been running mine for 2 years with no problems whatsoever, except better performance, less plug fouling, and a stronger idle (carbed car). I honestly haven't read of any major issues with the Crane unit.
'67 Comet Caliente Hardtop - in progress
Old 03-05-2007, 03:38 AM   #15

I have run an msd 6a for years(with an msd coil)but have used msds in the past and they would stop working because I used a stock coil. Any one else have this problem
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (5)

I run the Mallory 685. it's got a ton of fetures for the price and is very user friendly. I did have one die, but Mallory was great and fixed it free of charge, it was about 6mos. old at the time. Personally, I think they all use pretty much the same circuitry and hard parts, so reliability should be about the same. MSD has always had the nickname "Might Suddenly Die" around my ciricle of car bud's, so go with what's right for you.

6.84 at 98.72 1/8 Mile Best, trying to get better weekly
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #17

I had a Mallory Hyfire on the car when I bought it... Didn't like it much at all... It died after less than a year.. Switched to a MSD 6AL - love it!
Yeah, it's also stock
Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #18

It can make a big difference if you mount the box away from heat and moisture.
70 Maverick Grabber, 5.0 (Performer RPM 2.02/1.6 heads, RPM intake, Comp XE266HR roller cam, 625 cfm Street Demon, EDIS/MegaJolt ignition, long headers), T5Z w/Steeda TriAx shifter, 9" "N" case Trac Loc w/3.89:1, 31 spline axles.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #19

i have the mallory IV6 i think it is and i felt the diference,smoother during acceleration,feels a tad peppier,revs quicker.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (1)

I also run the Mallory hyfire VI 685. I bought it because it has the digital display and it has like 9 different modes you can select from. im also running the map sensor with the built in boost retard for the blower. I mounted it inside the car so I can toggle and adjust the boost retard when im driving. I also like it because when you adjust the different values its a digital number rather than the rotary type knob like the old MSD boost retard box I had. I def recommend it.
11.52@123mph (old set-up)
Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #21

So how did you guys run the wires, on any ignition box, from the coil in the engine compartment all the way to under the seat or on the pass side transmission tunnel.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfiend View Post
So how did you guys run the wires, on any ignition box, from the coil in the engine compartment all the way to under the seat or on the pass side transmission tunnel.

Thanks!
Andrew
Drilled a hole in the passenger-side firewall and used a rubber grommet.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #23

Same here, only on the drivers side. The harness is pretty long for the MSD 6-AL.

Scott
Old 03-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #24

Did you guys take your 12 volts directly from the battery?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfiend View Post
Did you guys take your 12 volts directly from the battery?
Yes I did.

Scott
Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #26

Take a look at the Crane HI6. Not too many people seem to have complaints about them failing. That's what I went with. Have had no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement