GT40P head/pushrod? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

GT40P head/pushrod?

For those of you who have topped your 5.0 H.O. engines with GT40P heads. Were you able to use stock length pushrods? I want to get a stage 1 TFS cam and have already located a set of "P" heads. I was hoping I would be able to get away with using the pushrods that came with the engine. Although I know every engine is different, when it comes to valve clearance issues. Have any of you encountered any clearance issues with a stage 1 cam? Thanks in advance for any help.

Vic
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

I'm not real sure what you would need for the TF1 cam.

I did have to use a .030 shim on my heads to get the rocker to ride in the center of the valve.

Try it with the stock pushrods, and see what you get.

I set the height on the pedastal rocker to what I needed geometry wise, then I cut one of my stock pushrods and taped it for a long machine screw that I cut the head off of. (I made an adjustable pushrod out of one of my stock pushrods.) I used .050 thick washers instead of lock nuts. I hate lock nuts.

I got lucky and the Lunati 80745's are perfect. I'm not saying they would work for you, but it is what I needed to get the lifter compressed .040"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:49 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (7)

As you said - every combo is different when it comes to p to v clearance AND when it comes to the appropriate pushrod length. I'm sure most folks found a stock pushrod adequate -- but when you're changing the heads and cam, you should measure p to v AND use pushrod length checker to determine optimum pushrod length. We all want our changes to be 'bolt on'. Sometimes they are. Sometimes they aren't. And frequently we won't know til we try.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:31 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (5)

you won't get much help with this. Hold on to those stock P/Rs and get you r cam in, put the heads on, than try the P/Rs. If they don't work out... looks like you have to pour out some additional money... Just the way it is.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (0)

From other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
Are you talking about an adjustable pushrod length measuring tool? They are easy to use. Just install the pushrod with the length set to it's minimum and then install the rocker. Adjust the PR untill you have the proper lash/preload and then measure the pushrod. Its that easy.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor22 View Post
For those of you who have topped your 5.0 H.O. engines with GT40P heads. Were you able to use stock length pushrods? I want to get a stage 1 TFS cam and have already located a set of "P" heads. I was hoping I would be able to get away with using the pushrods that came with the engine. Although I know every engine is different, when it comes to valve clearance issues. Have any of you encountered any clearance issues with a stage 1 cam? Thanks in advance for any help.

Vic
I ran the stock pushrods but I did need to upgrade my springs since I was using a 1.7 rocker.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #7

The springs should be upgraded regadless of what rockers/ cam yuo use.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganSpecial View Post
The springs should be upgraded regadless of what rockers/ cam yuo use.

Ok, let me elaborate; I had to upgrade my aftermarket springs since they were only good to .540 lift and I decided to run 1.7rr.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2GT's View Post
Ok, let me elaborate; I had to upgrade my aftermarket springs since they were only good to .540 lift and I decided to run 1.7rr.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (10)

as far as I can see, your pushrod length depends on one thing mainly, is the base of the lobe on the stage 1 cam different in height from stock ford stuff? if the base is shorter, the pushrods will not extend as far when the valves are closed and you might not be able to get proper torque on the rocker bolts.

my P heads didnt require new pushrods or rocker shims; its factory ford spec stuff. I probly should have upgraded to some hardened pieces, but thats beside the point. If you're worried about the pushrods being too short, just mill the heads a little and get some rocker shims. that should work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement