Most HP EVER MADE from a N/A 302 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2002, 01:32 AM   #1
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (0)

Most HP EVER MADE from a N/A 302

i was just wondering what the most HP ever made from a 302 was?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2002, 03:05 AM   #2

some crazy amount... i think the ls-1 guys were claiming soem magical 5. guy hit 390 hp.... but he was probably using nos..

seriously... some of those street bandit classes (and others) are making sick power. Someone else may chime in with a better firgure

Faster street car in the works
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-26-2002, 03:12 AM   #3

www.slowgt.com

looks like it makes some power....

todd
Old 04-26-2002, 03:39 AM   #4

That is kind of an un-answerable question. 302 in what form.
There have been many a know engine built by race teams that made 900 hp NA. Though all of these used race blocks, canted valve heads (Yates/cleavland style), most if not all were de-stroked and bored to obtain the 302 figure, all were with custom cranks, rods, pistons. McClaren and Cosworth have both done testing over the years with the Ford small block and both have produced engines that made over the 900hp figure- again with some very expensive parts and a lot of engeniering time, and they never got anything they felt was reliable enough at that hp level to be used for there needs. If you want to build a high HP 302 just to say you did or to prove you could, all it would take is $$. Start with a race block with a 8.7 deck hieght, then put in a Cola crank, add some trick titainium rods, Venolia pistons, Yates heads CNC ported by Yates, a ported Victor manifold, 2.25 headers, titainium valves, titainium retainers, vasco-jet springs, a custom roller cam (Int. .725 lift, 318 dur, Ext. .765 lift, 324 dur.)lightweight mechanical roller lifters, a lifter "rev-kit", carbon fiber pushrods, a bench flowed and tuned 1200 cfm carb, bore the block to 4.08", stroke at 2.83". This should turn to about 10,500-12,000 safely and produce about 900-950 HP - Cost: About $24,000, just ask Jack Roush- thats about what they were running in there IMSA cars.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:07 AM   #5

I have a old mag that has a right up about some engine builder that went just for hp on a dyno. Used a boss 302 put out 1200 hp n/a . Didn't say if they ever used it in a car or not they were just going for the most hp they could get. May only last one run but they did it.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:11 AM   #6

There are guys making over 400hp in True Street running 11's
Old 04-26-2002, 10:25 AM   #7
US Army Active Duty

well heres the thing, i got into a fight with a buddy of mine who is into hondas. he said that a honda 2 liter engine (modified) has the record for HP/Liter ratio, this engine had 142 HP per liter, obviosly a 900 HP 5.0 has it beat now doesnt it. if u guys could find a site with one of these cars on it, that would be awsome, i would love to rub in his face that He was wrong again
Old 04-26-2002, 10:44 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (7)

Ah, the old hp/ltr argument. Your not going to win this conversation, he'll just be stubborn. Let me see, 2 * 142= 284hp. 900hp/ 5ltr=180 hp/ltr. In this case the 5.0 makes more power per liter, but the real answer is you have

900hp vs. 284hp.

Gee I wonder whose going to win this race. Just let him keep his hp/ltr war. That 284hp Honda is still going to lose.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:53 AM   #9

Sounds like a dumb ricer argument. Top fuel cars have the HP/L record: 5000+ HP from ~7L. That's about 715 per. Or how 'bout a motor that lasts more than 6 seconds? F1 motors (Honda, Ford, and others) make ~800 hp. Aren't they still 1.5L? That's 533 per. Anyway, that "record" 2L engine would have to go in a ~1700 lb car to equal the HP/Weight ratio of any decent blown street Stang. That'll be a nice street car. Not. How about HP/$$? Stangs win again. Finally, the only record that really matters is who gets to the finish line first.

later
kevin
Old 04-26-2002, 11:25 AM   #10

I subscribed to Road a Track in the late 80's and remember an article where they got to test drive a 1988 Benetton F1 in qualifying trim. It was a 1.8l sequential twin turbo that put out 1950hp to the wheels.

Keep in mind, once they put it into race trim, they're limited to around 800-1000hp.. that was only in qualifying trim. I think during that season that particular car never lost that engine.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:40 AM   #11

For what it's worth, most of today's comp eliminator engines well exceed that hp/ltr number. 292 inch motors making 750-800 hp with 2-4 barrels, 320 - 330 inch motors making 850 - 900 hp, and don't forget those old Pro Stock trucks which were making 1000 hp from 358 inches (170 hp/ltr). If you rate today's nitro motors at 6000 hp, then they make 733 hp/ltr and the stock block F1 motors of the early eighties (1.5 ltr, turbo, methanol) made over 800 hp/ltr in qualifying trim.

HiTech
Old 04-26-2002, 02:30 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (3)

modern f1 motors 0wn as well, N/A, 3.0 litres, making ~850hp (some rumored to be at 900) is 283 hp/litre, no power adder. thats not too shabby...nor is the 18,500 redline

f1 this weekend!!! W0O0O0OT!
Old 04-26-2002, 02:45 PM   #13
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Dan Gurney and the Toyota will probably hold the HP/LTR and durability record for a long time to come. Back a decade or so ago in IMSA the Toyota was running a 1.2l engine with twin turbo's making about 900hp.

And just for the adjustment its estimated the Top Fuel cars will push between 7000 and 8000 Hp.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:28 PM   #14
rtz

I'd like to have Top Fuel cars be able to run turbos instead of or along with those antiquated, ancient, and outdated roots blowers. It would be a lot more exciting and modern. I bet they could really make some power then.

Or have 3 or 4 classes of Top Fuel cars:

1. Turbo
2. Blower
3. Nitrous
4. N/A
Old 04-26-2002, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by rtz
I'd like to have Top Fuel cars be able to run turbos instead of or along with those antiquated, ancient, and outdated roots blowers. It would be a lot more exciting and modern. I bet they could really make some power then.

1. Turbo
2. Blower
3. Nitrous
4. N/A
HOW MUCH FASTER DO YOU WANT THEM TO GO??? hehehe I mean they are already running 4 1/2 seconds & 330 mph in a 1/4 mile. That's not exciting enough? They go any faster, they're gonna have to make the track longer... hahaha
Old 04-26-2002, 04:06 PM   #16

outdated...antiquated... 5000hp
I dont get it...
Old 04-26-2002, 04:09 PM   #17
rtz

Quote:
Originally posted by interlord

HOW MUCH FASTER DO YOU WANT THEM TO GO??? hehehe I mean they are already running 4 1/2 seconds & 330 mph in a 1/4 mile. That's not exciting enough? They go any faster, they're gonna have to make the track longer... hahaha
1/2 mile racing?

That would be fun.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:11 PM   #18
rtz

Quote:
Originally posted by wldstng
outdated...antiquated... 5000hp
I dont get it...
The roots blower aspect of it is what I can't "relate" too. I see some of those when I go to a hot rod show, but that's the only time.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:09 PM   #19

First off, the 142hp/l car had damn well better be N/a. My friends 1.8L makes 270 at the wheels untuned. Thats 150 hp/l so 142 isn't that special if its a turbo car. A honda with 284 hp though would run in the neighborhood of 11.60s with decent traction @ 119. Thats impressive as hell, no matter what kind of car. Include decent street manners, although if its all motor it probably does have some lope to it. Then again, why waste time with an all motor honda, when you can turbo one and run like a bat out of hell. One of my friends just put a 7# kit on his, and it hangs with my other friends mustang from 50 to 130 (when the mustang lets out, cause of the handling) and the honda keeps going to 150+, slows to 80, takes a hairpin turn, and waits for 5 minutes while the mustang is coming around the curve, with the tires howling at 45. The mustang runs 12.6s @ 113, so its no slouch. Hondas can be fast, and it seems to me that there are less compromises in a honda as well. Just so no one thinks I am a "honda person", I am a CAR person. I like cars, especially fast ones. All of them. I don't care if its a yugo, if its fast, its cool. Read the sig if you think I hate mustangs.

P.S. I did see an all motor Yugo run low 14s before, on all Yugo parts!
Old 04-26-2002, 08:14 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally posted by rtz

1. Turbo
2. Blower
3. Nitrous
4. N/A
1. Would a turbo be able to stand up to the Top Fueler's still-exploding nitro exhaust?? Ever wonder why nitro motors are so loud? A crew member told me specificially that it's cause nitro has such a huge expansion ratio.....it's still "exploding" as it's leaving the exhaust, thus they're louder'n all hell.

2. That's what they have now.

3. Useless with nitro...as nitro provides it's own oxygen.

4. They already have this class...A/Fuel Dragsters that run in Top Alcohol Dragster. In that class you have a choice of running blown alcohol or N/A nitro...the ET/MPH records are help by the nitro cars. (bottom 5.20s at over 270mph)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement